Topic: The Professional Student's Lament

I read in today’s Washington Post that public universities will be pushing their super seniors to graduate. This reminded me that employers are still reluctant on hiring the super educated and prefer graduates with degrees that won’t command a higher salary. Anyway, this song is dedicated with my sympathies to the unemployed, indebted and highly educated class of 2012.

The Professional Student’s Lament By Jeff Gilpin

June 3, 2012

Verse 1

[Am]Get your edu[G]cation

[Am]Or you’ll go no[G]where [D]

[Am]Mortgage away your [G]future

But the [C]price it’s surely [G]fair

And it’s [D]sure to [C]get you [Am]there

Verse 2

[Am]Four years getting [G]smarter

Four [Am]years of college [G]life [D]

[Am]Don’t worry about [G]paying now

Just [C]get through your studies and [G]strife

Just a [D]little [C]sacri[Am]fice

Chorus

[G]Getting money for college

[D]Pay it back over time

[G]You won’t have to [D]pay it back

Until you reach that [C]finish [Am]line

You gotta [D]reach that [C]finish [Am]line

Verse 3

[Am]Four years have [G]come and gone

Your [Am]studies all com[G]plete [D]

[Am]No work yet young [G]graduate

[C]So you decide to [G]keep your seat

More [D]studies [C]to com[Am]plete

Verse 4

They [Am]call it a gradu[G]ate degree

[Am]Icing on the [G]cake [D]

[Am]You’ll go far in this [G]working world

[C]Think of the money you’ll [G]make

But [D]is it [C]a mis[Am]take

Chorus

[D]Pay it back over time

You have to [D]reach that [C]finish [Am]line

Verse 5

[Am]Heads all full on [G]knowledge

You’re [Am]locked and you’re [G]loaded

[Am]Sell yourself to the [G]highest bidder

Just [C]then the economy ex[G]ploded

The [D]econo[C]my ex[G]ploded

Verse 6

[Am]No jobs to be [G]had

But you [Am]still got bills to [G]pay [D]

[Am]Worried about your [G]future

You go [C]back to college and [G]stay

You’ll [D]work some [C]other [Am]day

Chorus

[D]Pay it back over time

But [D]where’s the [C]finish [Am]line

Verse 7

[Am]You’re almost a [G]doctor

Can [Am]see the door from [G]here [D]

[Am]Only so much [G]time left

Un[C]til you face [G]fear

And that [D]time is [C]getting [Am]near

Verse 8

[Am]Talking with em[G]ployers

[Am]Offers never [G]come [D]

That [Am]doctor on your [G]resume

Just [C]makes employers [G]run

As your [D]future [C]comes un[Am]done

Ending Chorus

[G]College says get out of school

You’re [D]educated enough

[G]Go on out in[D]to the real world

The real world’s [C]pretty [Am]tough

And [D]life’s a[C]bout to get [Am7]rough

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Re: The Professional Student's Lament

Like it Jets!,I have know a couple of pro students,they stink.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

3 (edited by beamer 2012-06-03 21:09:22)

Sad but True, My brother is a prime example. except instead of a Doctorate its an MBA. 

He is now compeating with the rest of the MBA's who are also jobless.  Maybe you should put a verse in on how a tech school and a skills trade is more valuable or viable than white collar jobs.

I would like to hear your playing of it.  not sure if I sang it tomyself right.  I kind of went with the"For What its Worth" style on it.

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Thanks Dino and Beamer,

You're right Beamer. Many technical school grads, or people who've worked their way to where they are ahead of someone coming out of college with no work experience. I'm hoping this trend turns around sometime but I don't think it will until companies get more growth centric.

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

5 (edited by PoppyStones 2018-11-01 11:00:37)

I think this is a very interesting student composition, I liked it very much, I am a young writer, I write reviews on various musical productions, you can read reviews of experts on this work or simply order a review on any literary production, I will be happy to help.

Thanks Poppy - I wrote this around 6 and a half years ago while I was in the middle of finishing my masters degree and I was also out of work. Thinking back, I feel like I was just blowing off steam and stress between classes, and I was very worried about my future. Now, a few years later, I am all done with formal education. I am satisfied with my song as written,  but thanks for the offer.     

J  E  T  S

My commiserations and congratulations on a fine piece of work Jeff. I'd hate to be a student now knowing that prospects of employment in my chosen field are less likely than standing in the bread line.
When are you going to record it?     

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Nice work, Jets, and so very true.

Our college / university systems in Canada are typically not turning out people into the workforce who know how to be productive. My own university degree (Bachelor of Business Administration) turned out to be 85% irrelevant in the real world, and most of what I was taught had little if any real world application. It's a common lament among employers, that many people with lots of credentials aren't anywhere near job ready. Our education systems need to get in touch with the real world, and find out what skills are needed so candidates can add real value to an employer's venture.     

you're so right TF, what possible help is learning Klingon going to be in the real world? much as i am a trekkie also a Beatles fan, university courses in these two subjects  is pointless and a waste of public money, yet they still run these courses, then the students are expected to pay back the course fees when they finally get a job cleaning toilets. rant over     

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

10 (edited by bluejeep 2018-11-03 10:15:14)

Well done Jets,  I saw it this morning and it's been on my mind since,  bringing back memories of my final high school days, back  in "68". I knew a lot of  professional students who never held a tool or a toilet plunger while I took a job and started working. TF is right the colleges didn't teach real world skills back then (I don't know about now) and I know of a few with degrees who can't find work in their chosen fields. I worked while they schooled and I never felt guilty charging them money to fix their car or unglog a toilet. Some of those same students even came to work for me and now know how to use a wrench and a closet auger.

Live in the "now" - a contentment of the moment - the past is gone - the future doesn't exist - all we ever really have is now and it's always "now".

Here in New Zealand we have more University graduates then we need and not enough skilled people in the building trades. Your words Jeff I think would resonate with many  down here in NZ.     

Thanks you all for the comments. I have to tell you all that I am still trying to remember how this one goes. I should have recorded it back when I wrote it. Now I'll have to play around and try to figure what I was thinking back then. Once I get a good idea I will get it posted.

J  E  T  S