Topic: NGD

So Detman and Jets60 and a couple other friends are hopefully coming over on Sunday evening. Detman has all his guitars in storage at the moment, so I said he could use one of mine. The thing is that he plays a strat and acoustic is his second choice. Maybe third.

Anyway, on Facebook Market or whatever it's called a Squire Strat came across my feed for $20. I contacted the guy and he said it needed work but the electronics were sound. So I told I'd take it - sight unseen. I met him 10 minutes later and bought a Squire Strat for Detman to play on Sunday night.

It did need work. It was all marked up. Everything that could be loose was. Two strings were missing. But...the neck was straight and the frets were in great shape. This evening I cleaned it thoroughly and tightened up everything that needed it. I oiled the fretboard several times. I polished the frets and the rest of the metal. I scrubbed and scrubbed to get the pickmarks off the pickups. And once everything was scrubbed, oiled, polished, and tightened, I strung it up with some electric strings I found in my string drawer. Each string height is adjustable and three of them were very low and rubbed the pickups. Once I adjusted those, it sounds really good. I'm not much for electrics, but I think I might have fun with this one for a while.

Photos are on my phone. I don't know how to get them on here from there - but it happened. I promise. 

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

2 (edited by Zurf 2018-12-08 00:49:26)

Re: NGD

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_5Wdu … 44-h967-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/v7D0f … 44-h967-no

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/4k41z … 44-h967-no

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Way back in the day, my wise Uncle Fred would always buy very cheap vehicles - like $100 cheap. He always said, any car that ran, that would get you from point A to B was worth $100. I think the same philosophy is appropriate - a guitar that plays for $20? Buy it!     

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Good deal Zurf !!  Not a lot invested except a bit of time and sweat.  Squire are not reputed to be at the top of the line, but every one that I've had my hands on were playable and not what one would call "total junk".  Usual issues are related to things like noisy pots and switches, loose neck joints and rough tuner gears, all more of an annoyance than worthy of a toss into the "burn pile".  Play it, enjoy it, and don't feel bad about a dent or scratch, it gets the job done.  smile     

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

That's friendship indeed. Not just cleaning and tuning but actually having the goodness to search for and buy an instrument for a visiting friend. I sincerely hope you and your friend have an enjoyable time.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

6 (edited by Zurf 2018-12-08 12:04:09)

He's a friend to us all. It's Detman101. He hasn't been on Chordie in a long time, but still.     

If the weather holds, there will be five Chordie people jamming in my basement. Detman, Topdawgz, me, Jets60, and BGD. A local friend or two is also expected.

Zurf your photos do not show I get a black screen, but a Squire is a nice little guitar I have one easy to use and they sound and play very nice. Good deal ya made smile     

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Can’t wait! Do I need to bring an axe?     

Baldguitardude wrote:

Can’t wait! Do I need to bring an axe?

Nope. I've got 3 6 string acoustics in standard tuning, a 12 string acoustic in standard tuning, a six string set up for lap steel (probably will retune to open G) in addition to the new Squire this thread started off with. So I think you'll be able to find one you like.     

Well say "HEY" to the gang !  Especially Detman.... he's been scarce for  quite awhile and some of us do miss his contributions to the Community.  smile

Sounds like a fun gathering, looking forward to some audio/video or at least a few photos...... Please ?     

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

Doug_Smith wrote:

Well say "HEY" to the gang !  Especially Detman.... he's been scarce for  quite awhile and some of us do miss his contributions to the Community.  smile

Sounds like a fun gathering, looking forward to some audio/video or at least a few photos...... Please ?

Detman has gotten deeply involved in the outdoors and has not been playing guitar as much. The Judge is already out because of weather. Jets is concerned. It may wind up just being me and BGD, and if it is that'll be fine too and I'm sure we'll have a great time. I wouldn't want anyone to risk his hide just to hang out.     

Nice find, Zurf ... very satisfying to get a good deal on something, and then resurrect it with some elbow grease and know-how. Congrats!     

After having played on that guitar for a solid 15-20 minutes, I can say that unlike my playing, it goes very well with bourbon. Great axe Zurf!     

I could have used a weekend like that!  Had I enough advance notice (Zurf Really man you got my phone number!) I would have really tried to get there!
just send that Squire to get the intonation adjusted and you will be happier.

my Strat (Betty) is an Affinity Series HSS.     

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

beamer wrote:

I could have used a weekend like that!  Had I enough advance notice (Zurf Really man you got my phone number!) I would have really tried to get there!

You'd have been on a plane each way for longer than we played. Next time I have a weekend gig like this, I'll let you know. Probably be until the Spring and I'll hopefully have a new camper by then and it will be outdoors.     

Zurf wrote:
beamer wrote:

You'd have been on a plane each way for longer than we played. Next time I have a weekend gig like this, I'll let you know. Probably be until the Spring and I'll hopefully have a new camper by then and it will be outdoors.

We will just plan on Amy's house then big_smile  however your still close to a bunch of my friends in the VA area and WV,,, so looks like that would work also     

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Congrats on the NGD. Haven`t had one for awhile.     

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.