Re: Easy Acoustic Songs?

If you can find it 'Long haired country boy' by charlie daniels is really easy. it stays on D all the way thru the verse then switches maybe twice in the chorus
Its a bouncing rhthym by the way so hit the D string then strum then hit the A string then strum... its fun and simple

All You Need is Love smile

Hi, it depends a lot on what you like!
some of my first ones were!
Peaceful easy Feeling! Eagles
You left me just when i needed you most . Dolly parton!
California Blue , Roy Orbison!
I dont want to talk about it. Rod Stewart!

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

"I'm also new to playing, and one of the songs that I picked up really fast was Free Fallin' by Tom Petty.  It sounds cool on an acoustic and has an easy pattern to learn."

I agree with Tyler31 on this song. I'm new to guitar, but I found Free Fallin here at chordie. I know the chords, and it's in A/D/E, and it's real simple. I was able to pick it up pretty easily, and it's the only song that I can play the strum for at this time.

A real easy one is Jackson Browne's Bright Baby Blues. Just G, C, D, Em and a C/D thrown in which is just C with a open D string. I just heard Jackon's version on his Accoustic Vol 1 CD and he playes it with a slide. It's on Chordie here:

http://www.chordie.com/chord.pere/www.u … ;id=268511

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

An easy song, if you can play a C7 and an F7 is "Feelin' Alright" by Dave Mason.  Most people are familiar with Joe Cocker's version. 

Stir it up- Bob Marley
Creep- Radiohead
Every Rose Has Its Thorn-Poison
In The Summertime-Jerry Mungo
Me and Bobby McGee-Janis Joplin
You Can't Always Get What You Want-Rolling Stones
Angel From Montgomery-John Prine
Black-Pearl Jam
I Remember You-Skid Row
I Can See Clearly Now-Jimmy Cliff
Ripple-Grateful Dead
Sunshine Superman-Donovan
Run Around-Blues Traveler

There you go.  You like all music so I gave you some Reggae, Alternative, 80's ballad, 60's feel good, 60's rock, Psychedelic Rock, Grunge and some Pop.

A little tip.  GET A METRONOME!  It will help you immensely.  Play these songs at a slower tempo to begin with and get used to the chord changes.  Also, don't be discouraged about trying to sing and play at the same time.  It took me forever.  So frustrating!!! and PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE.  Build some callouses.

Peace in.  Peace out.

For me the best songs are
- songs you know (at least the melody)
- easy songs: you will find MORE than enough if you just check BOB DYLAN: "THE" master of creating songs with 3-4 chords.
Another quit easy is John Denver.
It's like RAM57 sais: you NEED AT LEAST to know the melody. I can write a song now and here, using  E  D  G, but what will YOU do, not knowing the melody?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Hello all . I am the guy behind the drums that hangs out with musicians ! Yeah right . Im sure you all have heard that one before . The guys in my band used to mess with me all the time about that. Well I finally said well if you guys can do It and you cant keep time It should not be that hard to play guitar ! Well Its been a month Im moving right along , Ive even impressed the guys in my band  big_smile. Im mostly learning to write music for my band its tuff to write to drums ! Im learning  most chords easy enough just need to practice transitions . What are some good acoustic songs ( modern ) that I could work on that would help me move along or maybe some tips on playing scales.   Thanks for any feed back  !  Peace czbubba  GUITARIST AT THE MOMENT DRUMMER 4LIFE !!!!

Hello czbubba,
Welcome to chordie and props to you for learning guitar. I'm a multiple instrument player like you, in reverse order of you.(guitar>drums)Here are a few easy modern music suggestions to get you on your way;
Good Riddence(TYOL)-Green Day
Wonderwall-Oasis
Collide-HowieDay
Yellow-Coldplay
Your Beautiful-James Blunt
Times Like These- Foo Fighters
Breakdown-Jack Johnson
Mr. Brightside-Killers

As far as scales, go under artist Misc. scales/riffs and take your pick. There are lots of very helpful resources (and people) here on Chordie. You've entered a site that's gonna truly improve your playing.Good luck.

Southpaw41L

Give everything but up.

you all forgot Leaving On a Jet Plane? This is an easy one too. Actually there are lots. But the said one is a great one.

i live only to discover beauty. all else is a form of waiting

How about Pink Houses by,   John Couger Melloncamp
Taqilla sunrise, the Eagles
horse with no name, America
Also to pick your own 3 chord songs use this site and search beginner songs
All kinds of 3 or 4 chord tunes there for ya.
Good luck and practise practise practise.
Cheers

badeye wrote:

Anything Merle Haggert, Waylon Jennings,Willie Nelson. All good for acoustic.Isn"t guitar great.

Take Care....Badeye.

Willie's music can get pretty complex...especially the ballads.  "Angel Flying Too Close To The Ground" has a D# Diminished ... not an easy chord.

sc

TRY some credence clearwater,Buddy holly songs.Most are just a few easy chords with simple rythyms.You may also want too check out Neil diamond and Bob seager.   good luck    dino48

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I found a few real good ones, but I would say my favorite so far is Hank Jr's version of "I'm so Lonesome I could Cry". It's here on Chordie, It's not a beginner, but it sounds great.

Big Rig,

I agree with KEN House of the rising sun,  Last Kiss,  Turn the Page (BOB SEAGER)
Try these hope you have fun trying and don't get discouraged!!!!!!!!!!!

PATRICK

Does anybody have the strum pattern for The Wild Rover by the Dubliners.

jimk65 wrote:

Tap your foot and and start strumming.

RAM57 wrote:

Start with bands or artists you like and look for songs you "know" with "chords" you know. I think it's important, you know the "songs" well. Add songs with chords you know plus a chord or two you don't know. I started with songs I like to sing.

That's the best advice there.  A LOT easier to play if you already know the song and like it!  That is also what I've done, add a new song here and there and a new chord or two with it. 

hopeful wrote:

The first tunes i learned were amazing grace, blowing in the wind,leaving on a jet plane and scarborough fair, all easy songs.

Similar here as well.  Leaving on a Jet Plane (A,D,E) ... Cats in the Cradle (E,G,D,A) ... Tom Dooley (D, A7)... Amazing Grace (D,G, A7)), You are my Sunshine (adds a D7 to those previously learned).  There's a few more I've added with the C chord also.  I've only been playing about a month (tho I can't put my guitar down... we're talking a few hours a day and then some) but with those simple songs (and a few others) I can strum the chords well enough to sing along and it sounds pretty well like a song.  Mind you, the first week I wasn't playing that much - no... my fingers hurt way too much and I was a little frustrated by that.  Keep on going and you'll soon be far to addicted like most of us.  I LOVE guitar!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

jimk65 wrote:

Go to the "Artists" tab at the top of this section.  In the search field that shows up below the tabs, type in "The Wild Rover".  There are twelve difference links to versions of that song both by the Dubliners and the Dropkick Murphys, plus a Traditional version.  I use the Traditional version, and if I ever break down and buy a 12 strings it will be the first song I play on it. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Hey Meggie, justasinger54 here, I can tell you my friend there are tons, everything from Dylan to U2, clapton, the beatles, and newer bands like plain white tee's, brighteyes and david gray, theres lots of easy stuff out there, I've been "trying" to play guitar for literally 40 years, (my first song "up on the roof " by the drifters, FYI), but I still just play open chord stuff and manage to entertain with it, I am a folk guy, but rock, and pop are doable with very easy chords, I don't do much country but most of its pretty easy as well, so don't lose faith, theres lots of music out there you can handle..,..Keep on....justasinger54 (I tell people I'm not a musician, just a singer)..............justasinger54 (Tim)

Hey Justasinger - no worries on the open chords.  I've got a friend who has released three albums of original songs so far and when I asked him about barre chords he said, "Oh.  I thought those were for electric guitar players." 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude