Topic: The hell you put me through- lyrycs that need chords

Well once again I was up late last night and i wrote a song. Nearly fell asleep half way through it so im doing good to have the words, much less the tune to go with it. Untill i can come up with some kind of nice intro and chord progression just kind of play it in a basic 3 chord pattern i guess..... change to 2nd chord to start off the chorus the structure changes up on it a little bit.

VERSE 1:

Well it aint right
This hell you put me through
I lost my mind trying to figger
What I oughta do
Well I'm tired of you're talking
And I'm bout done walking
back to you
While you're busy throwin' on more fuel
To this hell you put me through

CHORUS 1:

Yeah I'm through with pretendin'
That I can't see the flames
Don't think you can fool me
Cuz you already made it pretty plain
That I aint worth tryin'
To be around to you
And its just about killed me
This hell you keep putting me through

VERSE 2:

Well when it comes down to choosin'
i end up pretty far down the line
Well don't worry about losin'
Cuz Im the one choosin' this time
Yeah and I'm choosin freedom
And the good times Ive been needin'
So sorry if that don't set well with you
But im done bein' slow cooked
In this hell that you put me through

CHORUS 2:

Yeah I'm done cryin'
Over your ever changin' ways
I knew I'd finally get enough of you
One of these days
Can you smell the smoke
Or do you even have any clue
That Ive been set afire
With the hell that you put me through

VERSE 3:

One minute you love me
The next you're cursing my name
And how can I win
If the rules don't ever stay the same?
So far you've been dealin'
But I've got a feelin'
That all thats about to change
You can keep what you won so far
But I'm done playing the game

CHORUS 3:

Yeah I'm done livin'
With your up and down attitude
And I'm tired of burnin'
While you're out there being untrue
You're playing with fire
So I'd be careful what I do
Cuz its left me kind of sore
This hell that you put me through

VERSE 4:

Well this time I'm the only one
Who's pullin' on my puppet strings
Cuz I finally figgered out
What all that empty talkin' really means
Just cut out the lyin'
Cuz I aint buyoin'
Anymore heartaches from you
How I have a heart at all I don't know
After all you've put me through

CHORUS:

Well I'm tired of bendin'
Cuz sooner or later I'll break
And you're pushin' awful hard
And that makes you awful hard to take
Aint you done enough yet
Can't you see how I'm torn and bruised
And nearly numb down to the bone
From the hell that you put me through

Wrote it after listenin' to a bunch of  waylon jennings so it kind of has that feel to it....
I hope it doesn't go on too long, four verses is kind of pushing it i think but i really liked the last one and couldn't stand to take it out... anyway as usual comment/suggestions? smile

All You Need is Love smile

Re: The hell you put me through- lyrycs that need chords

Hi Reb
Gotta great basis for country song there.
Lyrics may need paring down abit. But in the long run it's what you think that counts.
A 2 or 3 Chord progession is about right for a nice easy melody.
Regards
Ark

Ah yes went and worked out kind of a chord base for this song,
Its a littel crazy which is why the words don't seem to work out quite right but they actually do fit in there.... Its got kind of a willie nelsonish type rhythym going where you hold on to the chord for a few seconds before singing the next line in a place or two. Another thing is when you're singing there's certain words you hold onto too.... Lets see heres an example (Im gonna write it in G but im not really sure what key i want to put it in yet)

VERSE

G
Well it aint right (this word is longer),
                                        C
This hell that you put me through(hold)
      D
Ive lost my mind trying to figger
                        G
What I oughta do(hold)
      C
I'm tired of you're talking

And I'm bout done walking
             G
back to you(hold)
                                                        D      (now hang onto this one a minute)
While you're busy throwin on more fuel
                                                                                      G
To this hell(hold on just a little while) that you put me through

CHORUS:

C
Yeah I'm done pretendin'(hold)
                                G         (now hold onto this but not as long as you did the D)
That I can't see the flames(hold)
          D
Don't  think you can fool me
                                                       G       (hold on just a sec right here)
Cuz you've already made it pretty plain
        C
That I(hold a bit)  aint worth tryin'
                                             G
To be(hold a bit) around to you(hold)
             D
And it's just about killed me
                                                                 G
This hell(little bit longer) that you put me through

I guess thats kind of confusing lol But anyway you're probly right about needing to size em down a little bit. Its still a pretty unfinished piece of work. Im working out the tune though so it'll be dressed up before too long

Hi Last_Rebel,

I have just given your song a run through and I enjoyed playing it. Your tips helped by the way and as for the full lyrics, well I think most of have been down that road at some time or other. I am looking forward to seeing the finished song. Well done.

Thank you,

Roger.

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Hi Last Rebel - Dandy lyric about a miserable thing to go through.  I would make it a 12-bar blues because the tag line 'The hell you put me through' and the variations you use of that same idea are absolutely perfect for the endings of blues verses.  A few very minor alterations in some lines and you've got a real gutsy blues thing going on . . . .
James

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

6 (edited by last_rebel 2007-09-01 22:48:53)

hmmmm.... not a bad idea James. Actually the thing about holding over the chords before going to the next line fits in perfect with a bluesy rhythym too. Right now my fingers are throbbing cuz ive been out on my porch playing for about three hours but Im gonna give that a spin later.

7 (edited by prsings 2007-09-02 05:49:33)

I got a Waylon feel right away, played in E. Waylon is never really very far from the blues anyhow. I like what I've got so far, but I've only figured out the one verse. I'll try to work it up and send it to you in a few days.
I'll "doctor" the lyrics too if you don't mind, I see some places where it really doesn't fall off my tongue like it should, but very good all-in-all. You can always throw it out if you don't like what I do.  wink

Here is my rough version, I kinda like to play "song doctor" It needed to be shorter, so I boiled it down. I hope you like what I've done, the tenses didn't all match in your version, and it ran way too long. The music to it is down, backing tracks, plus bass & drums. It's after 5:00am, I need to sleep. I will try to record the guitars and vocals tomorrow, time allowing. If you think of "Good Hearted Woman" while you read it, it is similar. The bridge is a bit different. I'll send the music as soon as I can. I hope I didn't screw it up too much wink We may have a collaboration if you like what I've done.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

This Hell  You're Puttin' Me Through
by: last_rebel & prsings

VERSE 1

Well I sho' don't deserve this hell you've been puttin' me through
I 'm losin'  my mind trying to figger what I oughta do
I'm tired of your talkin' and I'm tired of walking back to a devil like you
While you're throwin' more fuel on this hell you're puttin' me through

VERSE 2:
One minute you love me the next you're cursing my name
How can I win when your rules are never the same?
And the way you keep fannin' the flames is turnin' my soul and black and blue
now I'm through pretendin' so baby I'm endin'  this hell you're puttin' me through

BRIDGE

I'll bet you you think  the smoke you keep blowin is puttin' these tears in my eyes
But this ain't no joke the way you've been cheatin' and coverin' up with your lies
So far you've been dealin' but I've got a feelin' the deck's about to get changed
Now you've had your fun, keep all you've won but deal me outa your game

VERSE 3

When you're doing the choosin' I always end up somewhere way down the line
But you just started losin' cuz I'm the one choosin' this time
Yeah and I'm choosin' freedom, the good times I've been needin' and that might not set well with you
But I'm tired of slow cookin' in this hell you're puttin' me through
Yeah I'm tired of slow cookin' in this hell you're puttin' me through

9 (edited by last_rebel 2007-09-02 14:31:22)

hmmm......... well i'd be interested in seeing the music definitely. As far as the lyrycs go its not bad,  i like the shortened verses but i might have to play with them a bit more I like the waylon feel though and actually when i started playing around with it yesterday i kept it in E myself.
  Hate to be a stickler on a few of the lines but understand there are a few hidden personal winks and nods towards certain people who might need to get the message if you know what i mean.
   For instance you wrote that 'you just started losin' cuz im doin' the choosin' this time'.... See the thing is the anonymous person to whom this song is adressed tends to look at things this way,  "I want this but if I choose you I can't have it, but on the other hand I don't want to feel guilty...", so to them choosing me over thier next fiasco would mean losing what they want but at the same time if they don't choose me (and usually they don't... in fact they NEVER do....) when they come down off the high mood they end up feeling miserably guilty. Thats why I wrote 'don't worry about losing' because THIS time I'm the one choosing not to go with them, so they don't have to lose what they want or feel guilty..... anyway this is all from personal life experience so trust me they'd know what it means.

Anyway I think you did a great job 'boiling it down', so If I may I'll just see what I can do with it and we'll meet somewhere in the middle (about WHICH lines to use not the length because you're absolutely right its way too long).

Last rebel,
This song tells your story very well! The odd word here or there is all i would remove! If your need is to get a message across, then dont change it yet!!
look over it for a few days and then if needed? Make your changes. Then Drop kick that no good [Hmmmmmmmmmm} "Person" into oblivion!.

Slán
Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Hey Last Rebel,
Just played your song and thought it was brilliant.  Well done.  Actually I posted this because since I played it, I have been humming it to myself.  Now that's got to be a sign of a good song!  Well Done.  Keep it going.

"If You Always Do What You've Always Done - You'll Always Get What You've Always Got !"

12 (edited by last_rebel 2007-09-03 02:19:20)

well thank you sincerely for the compliments Don (and Old Doll of course).... First time that many lines came to me in one sitting so i hate to just throw them away lol
The more I look at it the less I want to change it TOO much. (no offense 'song doctor' but i think the tunes in our heads are slightly differnt cuz the timings working alright for me when i take out a few words here and there...) What I think I'm gonna do is keep all the ones that came 'naturally' and just edit out the 'filler ins'...
and it got stuck in my head too, yesterday i was singing it all day. Very nice compliment though, im sure im flattered.
I can't share the true identity of the person..(its a long and complicated story)... at this time. I'd like this song to be able to mean different things to different people so I'm leaving that blank unfilled for now.

Ilike your song alot,I agree with james it would sound good if you do it with a blues feeling.I played it in e7 a7 and b7.kind of like eric claptons acustic version of crossroads.It sounded good.you may want too shorten the song a little,also you can mix those chords around a bit and do some thfinger and thumb picking.      good luck

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

how do u know someone wont steal your song?

I hear that as a pretty up tempo ditty in a 12 or 16 bar blues format.   Another nice one!

WRT getting it stolen,  she has copyright on the song the instant she wrote it down.   Presumably, that would be at 2007-09-01 12:16:54

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Sorry I didn't get to recording yesterday, my young lady's sis came to visit, and is still here. Nothing got done, maybe tonight.
jerome is right about the copyright, and I like posting new stuff on forums, not only is it in print, byt we are all witnesses to the date. Internet is really good for that. Used to be you had to prove it's date, and no one else knew. big_smile

Man, that's awesome!!  but you're  girl right? or are you....anywayz...awesome song!  i can relate with that song totally!  i love this line...
"Can you smell the smoke
Or do you even have any clue
That Ive been set afire
With the hell that you put me through"

"Fly on Proud Bird, At Last You Are Free"
-Charlie Daniels

yep i'm a girl smile
thanks thats one of my favorite lines too.... that ones definitely a keeper