Topic: Beamer

I think we should rename chordie,instead call it Beamer.
He`s the only one keeping it alive,i guess many like myself
are talking behind the scenes because of the lack of conversation on here.
it is a shame the lack of interest in others.
it never ceases to amaze me the differences between musicians and my other passion(tennis)
i`ve met and played a lot of people(tennis) without exception they are interested in talking about their game and also mine.
it seems a pity musicians are so different.
there got that off my chest! 

The King Of Audio Torture

Re: Beamer

Good point and I would tend to agree that although the engagement of members does seem to wax and wane (with the seasons it seems), it brings to mind a question.  If we are having conversations outside the forums, what topics are foremost and would those be truly appropriate within the guidelines of this forum.

The Chat Corner is pretty much open for any topic, BUT we do refrain from things that are not inclusive such as politics, religion, and such.  At least within my circles, the topics seem to lean towards things that are dividing us (not that we favor that position) rather than subjects that bring the world closer together (re: any news source you would care to name).  The space in my tiny brain that is devoted to music has been compressed by concerns over the global implications of current events. Our friend Beamer reminds us that music is an effective way to decompress from the stress of it all, and I for one intend to follow his example now that I'm home, and try to be more active on this front as well.

BTW please accept my condolences over the recent events in Christchurch and the repercussions pending. As an American I feel somewhat that we may have contributed to that situation by the poor examples we have set.  sad     

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

i do try and do my moderating in early morning and if possible in the evenings, like now.  i don't post many of my new songs of late due to the lack of interest and only begin a new thread if i have something to say, but i am a boring person (apparently) so i don't have a lot to say anyway!
a lot of my time is taken up with this brexit nonsense. the whole of the UK is split. sorry....politics, no, no.

i would like to echo my condolences to our NZ friends and offer any support that they may feel i can help with. such an idiotic waste of life on a difference in the way people worship what we all recognise as one God just worshipped in their own ways. life is precious, taking a life is the one true sin.     

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

I talk with several of the members off chordie because I’m not comfortable talking about 95% of the things I want to talk about (even music related) on a public forum.     

I my self have not been around much, so guilty as charged. I some times write entire post then delete them before I post because I remember the best advice I ever got. better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. and like Doug said my intrest comes and goes.     

out of tune out of key and out of touch

6 (edited by Peatle Jville 2019-03-19 22:18:55)

I enjoy looking in on chordie and have on here met many good people. I am not a person that looks at chordie every day or even every week only because there are other things going on in my life which is no reflection on Chordie or those interested in music.  Most of my online communication is email with people that I have met physically so I guess I am not that good good at the web site thing.
The major disadvantage for me of online relationships and communication is that there is no body language to read or  the experience of bouncing ideas instantly while sitting around a table ..Sometimes an expression on a person face says more than words. Sometimes I don’t post thoughts on chordie because I know that due to the fact people who haven’t met me in person could misunderstand what I mean or are trying to say. The positive of chordie is  we can take our angst and difficult emotions and do something positive with them, such as write poetry or songs. The same as we can use it as a sounding board for writing about our differant observation on life or experiences. I think differance between playing a sport like tennis and music is that  sport  is usually  a straight out competition. Music mostly  is about making something enjoyable or challenge peoples thoughts  and  is not always  something that is built around winning and losing.
In regards to the terrible shootings down in Christchurch it has shocked our nation as we tend to think down here we can escape those sort of events by our distance from the rest of the big wide world.. The truth is no where in the world can escape someone who is crazy. The killers attempt to divide our nation has done the opposite and made us more united.
Phill you are not a boring person and your posts I enjoy.

Chordie is a daily stop for me, and the various projects, song writing, poems, new gear days, etc. are always interesting. Apart from the Tuesday and Wednesday weekly columns I do, the real interest personally is that visiting Chordie daily keeps guitar playing on the front burner, if you will. Once done moderating, posting, commenting, etc., I'll typically seize the moment of inspiration and pick a guitar for a while.

For what it's worth, if we ever became too wrapped up in "social issues", that would diminish the value of what I consider a fantastic website. I think we all just get a little stale / disinterested / busy at times ... that's life.     

It's over-moderated, and when moderation is required, too forcefully done. We can't ban every person who doesn't conform to unstated standards then wonder why there's no one around.     

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf wrote:

It's over-moderated, and when moderation is required, too forcefully done. We can't ban every person who doesn't conform to unstated standards then wonder why there's no one around.

Agree 100%     

I would just like to say that some people are busy and have to step away sometimes, some have some issues to deal with, some go on vacation, some have tech issues and can't get on.some just need a break.
I have experienced all of these at some point. I am not sure about what Zurf wrote about over moderation, as I have not had any issues personally with that.
I have seen an outpouring of compassion and care to members when needed - which is awesome.

Chordie is a really great site in my humble opinion.  Thank you to all of the people here - I really appreciate you !
Jim     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Zurf, there are stated guide lines or don't you read the "stickies?" I thought the 1. no swearing, 2. no spam, 3. don't be abusive to your fellow members as is seen on other less reputable sites, is quite plain?
I thought the main litany for Chordie was to help other musicians and to encourage them as well as inspiring them to improve and maybe attain the thing we all desire....recognition of what we do or write. If you cant achieve that without "effing and jeffing" or rubbishing a persons efforts then maybe I'm on the wrong site? I think I'm old enough and adult enough that I don't need to use bad language, yes I do use it but not in polite company and I hope most of our members here aren't childish enough to have to stick the "F" bomb in every other word?     

Thanks for the comments about "Moderation", for which I was recruited not that long ago. The standards as explained to me seem quite reasonable, and I personally don't think Chordie is over-moderated ... but obviously that line is going to be in different places for each person.

a) I think we'd agree that spammers promoting health products, insurance,  etc. don't belong here
b) I certainly hope we're not advocating for members bashing one another because they don't measure up to our performance standards musically, or personal musical tastes
c) I hope we won't promote financial snobbery, by looking down our noses at what kind of gear some can afford
d) Regarding profanity and adult-content, I would hope we'd want musicians of all ages & sensibilities to find Chordie a comfortable place to be

There's enough tension, confrontation, anger, and hate in the world around us. Surely we don't need to bring those things into something as benign as a musicians' discussion forum ... do we? If these are thought to be too rigid, then perhaps I've misunderstood something, and I'm certainly open to guidance.     

I'm too am guilty of a lack of participation.  Since I became single late last Fall,  I've spent more time living in the real world as opposed to the cyber world. I've also been playing more, working on some new songs and trying to learn to sing properly. Then there's the whole dating thing at 60. It's a different world out there than it was the last time I was single.

On a whim,  I drove up to Boston last week to see Al Stewart. Of course I thought of our own JJJ but had no way to reach out to him since I don't use a "smartphone" and don't have his number.

I do stop in here a few times a week to see what everyone is doing but haven't been posting much. I'll try to do better. smile     

Well said TF. My grandson is a budding musician, learning bass, I hope he'll join up one day soon. I'd hate for him to tell me, Grampa, it's just as bad as Facebook with everyone swearing and sniping at each other.
Let's keep Chordie clean?     

unclejoesband wrote:

I'm too am guilty of a lack of participation.  Since I became single late last Fall,  I've spent more time living in the real world as opposed to the cyber world. I've also been playing more, working on some new songs and trying to learn to sing properly. Then there's the whole dating thing at 60. It's a different world out there than it was the last time I was single.

THAT IS NO EXAGGERATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  EVEN AT 51!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ITS ALL ABOUT BEING WEIGHED AND MEASURED AND COMPETING AGAINST GHOST, OR ANOTHER PERSON OR YOUR BANK ACCOUNT OR THE "BE MY TRAVEL AGENT AND PAY FOR OUR TRIPS, We have to be equal parts Burt Kicher and Robin Williams, daddy warbucks, and countless other criteria for  the thing now days.   

ok off my soap box!     

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

beamer wrote:

THAT IS NO EXAGGERATION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  EVEN AT 51!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ITS ALL ABOUT BEING WEIGHED AND MEASURED AND COMPETING AGAINST GHOST, OR ANOTHER PERSON OR YOUR BANK ACCOUNT OR THE "BE MY TRAVEL AGENT AND PAY FOR OUR TRIPS, We have to be equal parts Burt Kicher and Robin Williams, daddy warbucks, and countless other criteria for  the thing now days.   

ok off my soap box!

Well at least now I know it's not just me.

Here's a little trick I started using. When someone sends me a message and includes a number for me to text, I respond that I would rather talk. I give them a number to call but it's not mine. It's the number for the front desk at the White House. Funny how I never hear from them again. LOL!     

unclejoesband wrote:
beamer wrote:

ok off my soap box!

Well at least now I know it's not just me.

Here's a little trick I started using. When someone sends me a message and includes a number for me to text, I respond that I would rather talk. I give them a number to call but it's not mine. It's the number for the front desk at the White House. Funny how I never hear from them again. LOL!

whats that number!???! LOLOLOLOLOL     

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Whitehall 1212....!     

beamer wrote:

whats that number!???! LOLOLOLOLOL

Since they are public numbers I don't see where this would violate any rules at Chordie

Switchboard: 202-456-1414

Visitor's Office: 202-456-2121

A lot of those scammers create multiple profiles. After I started responding that way ,  the number of scam messages dropped to almost zero. LOL!

Have fun. smile     

I can't imagine what you're going through, UJB and Beamer ...feel for ya, guys.     

Regarding my comments on moderation, a member whose profile name included a profanity asked a question. I moved the post to a forum not visible to other members and notified other moderators that I was contacting the member to answer the question and to request reregistering under a different profile name. A different moderator banned the member before I could send a message. I was frustrated for being hamstrung in that way and let them know. Three moderators who I've known for ten years began insulting and presuming things about me as a result. I contacted the site owner for a call on the appropriate way to handle. He said he preferred my approach. The three continued the barrage on me. Three moderators quit over the treatment to which I was subjected for suggesting we treat members with courtesy. Two have come back, but only rarely and only at the insistence of Beamer, who wanted our input on some songs he had posted.

When three moderators quit on the same day because of the heavy handedness of other moderators, that's overmoderation. When moderation staff ignores the preference of the site owner to defend their heavy handedness, that's over moderation. How many moderators are listed for the site compared to non-moderating contributors? I haven't counted, but it's probably around 1:1. That's the predictable outcome.

I stand by my statement. We have few contributors because of overmoderation.     

Anybody heard from Upyerkilt, Old Doll, James Mc____ (can't remember his last name), Marcallan, Jerome outside of his niche in Theory and Recording, Topdown, BaldGuitarDude, or even me much lately? Some have left completely, and others have severely curtailed their participation over this issue. In the meanwhile, the site is safe for the possibility that one day Phill's grandchild might possibly come here and not be corrupted. But - so far as I know there isn't one shred of evidence suggesting that reading a profane word has actually corrupted anyone. So, good for us for protecting people who aren't here from something that is highly unlikely, I suppose.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I am not a moderator and I know how hard the job is to do. I was a moderator on another site that had  over 3000 members, and If they post spam than they should be banned., If it it is not spam but just in a name than your approach makes  gives them a chance to change and we should encourage them to be active on the forum. The forum should be for all member who want to be active and not just for moderators.  What I have a hard time is the number of people who log in and never have posted.     

Music is what feelings sound like.
Music is life, that why our hearts have beats.

I used my grandson as a simily, there is a new generation of musicians out there who should be encouraged not made to feel belittled by old hands squabbling over profanity. No one wants a load of spam popping up half way through reading the lyrics of a song...or do we?
As for banning members, did you inform the other mods to what you were doing?
On the other hand, people move on or pass on or have a grump with someone that was abusive or heavy handed.
It's not always an easy job.     

great i got u guys involved,everyone has an opinion,it`s good to hear them.
i may not agree with you,but it doesn`t deminish your opinion
thanks for the conversation     

The King Of Audio Torture

I haven`t been participating too much lately. I`ve just had bigger fish to fry. Dealing with other things. As much as a lot of people know about me, I am also extremely private in a lot of other things. Even Chris has a problem with that sometimes.     

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.