1 (edited by Tenement Funster 2019-04-08 10:45:55)

Topic: The Gmaj7 Chord

This has been a chord I've struggled to play fluently in the conventional way, as I've never been able to get all four fingers in place quick enough so a song can flow. Songs that use it are David Gilmour's beautiful ballad "Where We Start",  Genesis' "Afterglow", etc. The conventional way looks like this:

https://www.scales-chords.com/chord-charts/guitar-Gmaj7-g-n-l-v-x-x-5-4-3-2.png

Fortuntely, there are always several ways to play a chord, and this variation works very well and is easy to get to:

https://www.scales-chords.com/chord-charts/guitar-Gmaj7-g-n-l-v-x-x-5-7-7-7.png

What are chords you struggle with? Have you found a variation that works better than what the traditional chord charts show you?  This website has been a real gold mine for me, instead of taking the time to work out the variations for other places on the fretboard, and admittedly lazy approach:

https://www.scales-chords.com/

Re: The Gmaj7 Chord

I don’t care for either of the voicings you list above, so I too struggle with those because of how they sound.  I prefer this
E 2
B 0 (or 2)
G 0
D 0
A 2
E 3

That open voicing is my favorite and works particularly well on acoustic.

On electric I would play g maj 9:
E x
B 3
G 4
D 4
A x
E 3

Just a thought!     

Baldguitardude wrote:

I don’t care for either of the voicings you list above, so I too struggle with those because of how they sound.  I prefer this
E 2
B 0 (or 2)
G 0
D 0
A 2
E 3
I use this good info BGD
That open voicing is my favorite and works particularly well on acoustic.

On electric I would play g maj 9:
E x
B 3
G 4
D 4
A x
E 3

Just a thought!

This is a very handy voicing especially if alternating with Gmaj6 for a nice dowop feel as in the song Moments to remember     

"Growing old is not for sissies"

4 (edited by Baldguitardude 2019-04-09 15:19:19)

Thinking more about chord variations, I do a lot of string muting and play many partial chords, rootless chords, and passing chords. Some of my favorites are

G/F#
x
or D/F#
x
x
while moving from G to em

G/b
x
instead of regular ol' G whilst playing a song in the key of C, or whilst moving from C to am. (This is also a nice voicing for Em7)

I use dm7/G (Which is enharmonic to G7 sus 4)
x
in the first two beats of songs in C, before resolving to G. (dm7/G is my very favorite chord to play on acoustic guitar. It sounds lovely.)

My problem chords:  "A" shaped barre chords, esp on acoustic. Always seems to sound muddy to me and it's hell on the ring finger.

If we had Pierre Bensusan's fingers, none of those voicings would be a problem. smile (referencing TF's latest "Flying Fingers" contribution).

I have many problem chords - many of which I have gotten help for here on Chordie - so I won't bother mentioning them, but the "B" family remains my nemesis. smile

Bill     

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

MY NEMESIS IS  BARRE CHORDS -  MY HAND IS ALWAYS ACHING AFTER I ATTEMPT THEM

sad     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Unless I can do a whole song in barre chords, I avoid them. Up & down the neck with a barre "E" - that's me. smile     

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Making barre chords comfortably (and quickly) may be as easy as changing the way a person holds the guitar. Personally, I've found them much easier with the neck tilted up at a 35 to 40-degree angle, and having it tilted back a bit so it's slightly facing me. I find this requires a lot less wrist / finger contortions for making regular & barre chords. Here's a pic of the great Andre Segovia demonstrating:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/fe/ff/fc/fefffc1fb6f6045de52d642ac39fbfae.jpg

A rounder neck radius may also help, like a 14" instead of a 12".