Re: Songs About Jobs That Are No Longer Needed.

One of the greatest modern times achievements is that disco music has gone the way of the dodo bird ... I couldn't be happier! big_smile I co-hosted an on-campus radio program at the height of the disco craze in the mid 70's called "No Disco". Our theme music contained a part of this jazz fusion song by Brand X, featuring the amazing drumming of Phil Collins:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BRa2mVEjPY     

27 (edited by Peatle Jville 2019-04-16 21:03:49)

Cheers Tf like you I was not a fan of Disco. Listening to that track on youtube reminded me that Phill Collins is an excellent drummer. For many years New Zealand was involved in ongoing protest over French nuclear testing here in the South Pacific from the mid-1960s. France began testing nuclear weapons in French Polynesia. Mururoa (or Moruroa) Atoll became the focal point for both the tests and opposition to them. Greenpeace vessels sailed into the test site in 1972, and the following year the New Zealand and Australian governments took France to the International Court of Justice in an attempt to ban the tests. France ignored the court’s ruling that they must cease testing.
The test site at Mururoa was dismantled following France’s last nuclear test to date, detonated on 27 January 1996,.There was alot of distrust here of the French government through the  1960’s to 1996 made worse with the sinking of the Rainbow Warrior. The sinking of the Rainbow Warrior, codenamed Opération Satanique, was a bombing operation by the   action branch of the French foreign intelligence service, the Direction générale de la sécurité extérieure (DGSE)(, carried out on 10 July 1985. During the operation, two operatives sank the flagship of the Greenpeace fleet, the Rainbow Warrior, at the Port Of Auckland here in New Zealand on its way to a protest against a planned French  nuclear test in  Moruroa. Fernando Pereira, a photographer, drowned on the sinking ship.
France initially denied responsibility, but two French agents were captured by New Zealand Police and charged with arson,conspiracy to commit arson, wilful damage, and murder. As the truth came out, the scandal resulted in the resignation of the French Defence Minister Charles Hemu..
The two agents pleaded guilty to  manslaughter and were sentenced to ten years in prison. They spent just over two years confined to the French island of Hao  before being freed by the French government.
Below is atttached a song of protest against French nuclear testing in the South Pacific at that time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuJ8PP1Icfw

Peatle - great stuff Brother - love the historical account!
The only time change ever really happens is when the people join together and make a stand.  I loved all the pictures in the song video - New Zealand must be  a beautiful nation!

Jim     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

29 (edited by Peatle Jville 2019-04-16 21:15:43)

Cheers Jim down here in the South Pacific there are many beautiful Islands. I feel lucky to live in this land called New Zealand. Our big challenge is making sure that big multi national developers respect the people,  ecology of the land and water. I will attach  a link to an article talking about what I mean.
https://www.msn.com/en-nz/money/news/si … ar-BBVNjOp

Your South Pacific Brother
Pete

Great info, Peatle (or should I say "lore"?) ... sure appreciate ya, dude!

My wife and I had some cash set aside for a trip to NZ after we sold our business in January 2008. We had planned a three-week trip (three travels days on either end), with a week on each of your main islands. Week one was to be spent fly fishing & horse back riding, and week two was to be spent in more urban pursuits. Unfortunately, one of our son's needed our help (no fault of his) so the funds were used for better reasons. We were in our early 50's then, and don't have the ability to do a trip like that now. It was a good dream, though!

http://www.flyfishingnz.co.nz/images/miles204.jpg     

31 (edited by Peatle Jville 2019-04-17 08:29:43)

Cheers TF you are a good man. That is a good looking Brown Trout you got there. One of my sister's back in 1965 went to Canada  for a three month visit fell in love with your country and has lived there ever since. Her other half a Canadian loved fly fishing when he died his ashes were taken by his close family and  buddies who knew his favourite secret trout fishing spot and buried his ashes in a spot nearby. My sister tells me many places all over Canada are bigger versions of parts of New Zealand.

32 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2019-04-17 16:17:55)

Since we're on this telegram thing....... from the 60's, The Five Americans with "Western Union". A high school group I was in - The Lighthouse Tavern - covered it at dances. The harmonies were easy because the "morse code" refrain was off-key anyway. I would have played you  the recorded version, but so many groups in those days lip-synced their hits. This is live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJMwxucTJyo

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Actually westernunion still in business:   https://www.westernunion.com/us/en/home.html     

Music is what feelings sound like.
Music is life, that why our hearts have beats.

Strummerboy Bill wrote:

Well, I'm going to post one more and I hope you'll take it in the spirit intended: just good fun.

There's a true story that goes with it and I'll tell it here, among my friends.

When we first emigrated to the  US in 1960, we lived in Villa Rica, Georgia, but my father's relatives lived in a "mill-town" called Fullerville. While VR, had indoor plumbing, Fullerville did not - at that time - and depended on the outhouse for nature's call.

As one might expect, those things had to be cleaned out periodically, and the brave man who took up this task was a man named Harvey who had an old grey mule called Ed who pulled their wagon from house to house to provide their service.

I am sorry I don't have a picture to support what I'm about to share with you, but ol' Harvey (and maybe Ed, too) had a sense of humor about their job, and Harvey fashioned a giant  fake clothes pin made from some light balsa wood which he affixed to Ed's bridle. I guess at some point, indoor plumbing came to Fullerville and Harvey and Ed retired. Rich, I hope!

That's my story and here's a song about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyZcqnZ8aM8

I used to play that song around campfires Bill, thanks for posting.  Growing up in the Appalachian area of southern Ohio we didn't get "indoor plumbing" until I was 16.

Here's another one on the subject:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiQ52LeBDQo     

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

35 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2019-04-17 19:07:30)

I had never heard that one, Ed, thanks! smile

In at least two of these "Outhouse" songs, there were mentions of the "Sears & Roebuck" catalog. There was one located in my aunt's outdoor privy, but when I turned 13* and it arrived in the mail, I was usually the first one to grab it, and we had indoor plumbing.

*I think I'll stop there. wink

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

36 (edited by Peatle Jville 2019-04-19 04:28:28)

Cheers Bill, I enjoyed that Five Americans clip loved the fact it was live and not lip synch. I was trying to figure out what the drummer was using in his right hand to play the cymbals with? Does anyone know or was it just a drumstick looking a bit blured in the video or some sort of drummers brush ?

CG talking about Western Union made me wonder if the popular American Express travelers cheques of old around the world, are still in use or available.?

DE another good song you put up there. Love the song loved the humour.  His voice reminded me of Roger Miller. Thank you

I suppose  you all remember the old cassette tapes and cassette recorders,here attached is is an army  guy receiving a cassette tape message song from his girlfriend in the mail.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CD6S8DZHpG4

peatle

Too funny - not for him - but a great ad !  smile     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Peatle Jville wrote:

Cheers Bill, I enjoyed that Five Americans clip loved the fact it was live and not lip synch. I was trying to figure out what the drummer was using in his right hand to play the cymbals with? Does anyone know or was it just a drumstick looking a bit blured in the video or some sort of drummers brush ?

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=ht … amp;uact=8 

Pete, what I have posted here is a link to a set of drummer's brushes (i hope you can see it - forgot how to post a pic). The part that touches the drum is retractable, so when it's fully extended,  the sound on the drum is a soft one - used mainly as a "sweep" or "swish" sound - depending on whether the drummer is striking a drum head or a cymbal.

In this instance,  since The Five Americans are playing live on tv, and since sound parameters aren't as sophisticated as they are today, I am thinking they instructed their drummer to use the brushes partially retracted, so he'd have the "feel" of a drum stick, but not the volume, which may have been too loud over the other instruments. So what you're seeing is the flash of the stage lights shining on the partially retracted brushes.

I know we have some other drummers in the family, so I'd be interested in knowing what they think as well.

Bill     

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

39 (edited by Peatle Jville 2019-04-21 00:56:36)

Cheers Jim I am glad you got the humour of the ad sometimes Kiwi comedy doesn’t travel well.

Bill excellent info on drum brushes thank you. You  are a good teacher. Drum beats have been part of my life growing up but not always in a way commonly used all around the world. When I was kid back in Fiji around 1960 we had to learn the meaning of differant rythmic beats on the Lali so we knew what the message been sent by the drummer was about. Today that is more a thing of the past as Fiji has caught up with the rest of the world. Modern cell phones are cheap there and are every where with radio and TV also available in most areas.. Lali is a Fijian drum of the wooden slit similar to many other drums commonly found throughout  Polynesia. It was an important part of traditional  Fijian culture used as a form of communication. to announce births, deaths and wars. A smaller form of the Lali drum (Lali ni meke) is used in music. Lali drums are still used to call the people of an area together, such as church services; the Lali is also used to entertain guests at many hotel resorts. Mostly the Lali nowdays has become more of a just an entertainment thing.The Lali drum is made out of wood and played with hands but, is most commonly played with sticks (i uaua) which are made out of softer wood so as not to damage the Lali. Historically, a larger and smaller stick were used together when playing the Lali
Attached is a Lali drummer  calling villagers to church.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FT4fkj3eW4

Fijian kids still welcome in the New Year with drumming  a long standing tradition called 'Qiri Kapa'.  Now days it is done  using things that have been thrown out to drum on. Drumming is still very much a male thing in Fiji but I guess time will change that. Attached is a short clip showing kids following the Qiri Kapa tradition

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgnD2BeKHpg

Peatle Jville wrote:

Cheers TF you are a good man. That is a good looking Brown Trout you got there. One of my sister's back in 1965 went to Canada  for a three month visit fell in love with your country and has lived there ever since. Her other half a Canadian loved fly fishing when he died his ashes were taken by his close family and  buddies who knew his favourite secret trout fishing spot and buried his ashes in a spot nearby. My sister tells me many places all over Canada are bigger versions of parts of New Zealand.

Cheers, Peatle ... that's not me with that beautiful trout (I wish !!!) but of a fish caught in a New Zealand river. I have dreams about fish like this, but my biggest ever Nova Scotia brown was 26". Our waterways are small (like our Province), and the pH levels are high due to acid rain, so really big trout are rare ... our habitats just won't support them.