1 (edited by TIGLJK 2019-05-19 14:54:07)

Topic: No Way

I 've had a couple of thoughts running around my head for about a week now.
I woke up about 4 am this morning - poured my self a big cup of coffe - grabbed my guitar and came up with this song.
Hope you like it

No Way by Jim Kenyon

[C]Seems like I been up since the [F]middle of [C] March

Feeling just like I’m wet change on [G] some bar

And the [C]rain’s coming down so hard I can [F]barely [C]see

but it [G]can’t wash away the [F]ache in my [C] heart

[C]Maybe things will get better in the [F]days to [C]come

But this sure feels different in a pe[G]culiar way

And it [C]seems I’ve got a running start on[F] losing my[C] mind

as I [G]search for the right words to [F]make her [C]stay

Chorus

[F] I’ve never been scared of nothing, no, I’ve never run [C]away

[F]Ain’t been afraid to fight for what’s right, my whole life[C] through

[F]Oh there’s been times that I’ve walked away from[C] trouble

But [G]Darling, there's no [F]way I can walk away from [C]you

[C]Sometimes it’s best to let things un[F]fold in their own [C]way

And forget the hurt and the reasons that caused [G] the pain

I think[C] it’s time to move on and [F]time to [C]forgive

Time to [G]smile and believe in [F]love all over[C] again

Chorus

[F] I’ve never been scared of nothing, no, I’ve never run [C]away

[F]Ain’t been afraid to fight for what’s right, my whole life[C] through

[F]Oh there’s been times that I’ve walked away from[C] trouble

But [G]Darling,there's no [F]way I can walk away from [C]you

No, there's [G]no way I can [F]walk away from [C]you

[G]there's no way I can [F]walk away from [C]you

[G]there's no way I can [F]walk away from [C]you

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Re: No Way

Nice. has a "country-rock" feel to it.

As one (former) teacher to another, I'd have to ding you on the use of the word "ain't", though.

Don't suppose you'd change it to "There isn't no way"? smile     

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

I like those lyrics Jim I can imagine many differant scenarios around why he is feeling the way he is and wants to fight for his girls love.. He is not going to walk away,. I love the way you have a natural ability to put these songs together about differant things people experience in relationships.     

Another dandy, Jim, and I especially love how it came into being, i.e., thoughts running around in your head, and an early morning awakening ... I think that's why so much of what you write sounds / reads so well. It always seems so natural and unforced, as if you weren't really trying to write a song. Does that even make sense?     

More great work and like many of what you have posted previously  you say  a lot and more between the lines too.  I  hope you record this one so we can hear it too.     

Music is what feelings sound like.
Music is life, that why our hearts have beats.

6 (edited by TIGLJK 2019-05-19 11:07:17)

Bill,
I made a change -  not exactly what you suggested ( i I think " isn't no"  would be a double negative or some thing like that )
and yeah that's kind of how it goes - along the lines of an Eagles song - that kinda country rock.

Thanks for the kind words.

Peatle
Thank you Peatle- yes, there is a lot of interpretation left to the individual in the setting of this song
Thanks for giving it a look.

TF
Thank you for your comment.
I'm not smart enough or talented enough to actually sit down and write a song, I totally rely on my emotions and how I think people would react.
It's why I love the Dylan's,  Van Zant's, Guy Clark's and Steve Earle's  -among many others-  they are all storytellers.
Especially since I know so little about music. Most of my lyrics would sound much different if someone who actually knows music used the right chords, strum patterns, tempo, etc...( that's about it for me - I don't know any other music terms):  )  was writing them . It's why I love when You, Mojo,  Phill, Jan, Graham or many of the others on Chordie had covered a song and they put their own flare, mystique,  and music talent to it - or some one like Bill gives me an English lesson -  it is always a great improvenent.  I'm pretty locked in to the cowboy chords. (:    It is also what I love about Chordie - it has so many different, talented people on here - and so many perspectives - it is like candyland to someone like me.

Again - all of you  THANK YOU !

Jim

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

waiting on the recording myself
and the proper phrasing  would be aint no way  lol     

out of tune out of key and out of touch

Yeah..... It was a JOKE, folks. It's just me trying to be funny. I taught English Lit in high school. Looking back, I should have taught everything lit, but some of us bloom in our OLD age, I guess.     

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Hey Jim - I've been waiting to reply until I had the time to give your song a proper test drive (haven't yet), but the way this thread has turned peaked my interest. I see merit in both "Ain't no way..." and "There's no way...", but I was born and raised in western NC, and growing up I heard the words "Ain't no way" quite often. Of course our teachers tried to force the word "ain't" out of our heads,  and I admit I don't really talk with too many ain't coming out of my mouth. But, using "Ain't no way.." gives the song a different feeling or a different kind of emotion, kind of like when in life you experience emotions of all kind which can bring out the more coarse side of your vocabulary. Anyway, that's my two cents, and I still owe you a comment once I play your song.

Bill - While I know you said your comment was a joke, I'm glad you made it, because you made me think of something interesting: when to and when not to use bad grammar, slang, or even "words that moderators frown upon" in songwriting.     

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

As I am totally in flux in my life right now,  this song was me 10 months ago.     

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

For what it's worth, the Merriam-Webster dictionary has admitted that it's okay to use ain't  in a number of ways:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/ain't

My late grandfather had an expression when he wanted to say something really didn't matter much:

T'ain't don't matter nawthin'     

12 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2019-05-24 14:19:32)

Y'all did  get the part where I said I was joking, right? smile

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Strummerboy Bill wrote:

Y'all did  get the part where I said I was joking, right? smile

Yep - but I enjoy the debate...joke or no joke.     

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C