Topic: Life as a Dog

So the whole dog thread I started on the Chordie Chat Corner got me thinking about a dog’s life and that led to this song. It’s pretty simple but so is a dog’s life. Hope you like it.

Life as a Dog By Jeff Gilpin

January 30, 2011 - Dedicated to Chibi - she was a good dog

Verse 1

[G]Wake up late then go sleep in the sun

[D]That’d be my life as a [G]dog

[G]Go for a walk that’d turn into a run

[D]That’d be my life as a [G]dog

[C]Eat from the table what[G]ever I can

[D]Deliberately dropped from [G]my master’s hand

[C]Not too much ‘cause [G]I’m not a hog

[D]Living my life as a [G]dog

Verse 2

[G]Goin’ outside when the weather is fine

[D]That’s be my life as a [G]dog

[G]Take off leaving my master behind

[D]Lovin’ my life as a [G]dog

[C]Getting back home all [G]pantin’ and tired

[D]Still full of energy but [G]that’s how I’m wired

[C]Can’t sit still in the [G]swamp like a frog

[D]Livin’ my life as a [G]dog

Solo - follows the verse - embellish as you like

[G] [D] [G] [G] [D] [G] [C] [G] [D] [G] [C] [G] [D] [G]

Verse 3

[G]Late in life not so spry any more

[D]Late in the life of a [G]dog

[G]Hard to get up or make it much past the door

[D]My life as an old [G]dog

[C]Still wag my tail when my [G]master comes near

[D]Familiar old voice music [G]to my ears

[C]Laying ‘round happy like a [G]bump on a log

[D]So goes the life of a [C]dog

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Re: Life as a Dog

Love it. a perfect dog song,   good job.....

badeye   cool

one caper after another

nice work !!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Thanks Badeye and Dino.

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

cj-5 wrote:
jets60 wrote:

[D]Livin’ my life as a [G]dog

Solo - follows the verse - embellish as you like
[G] [D][G] [G] [D][G] [C][G] [D][G] [C][G] [D][G]

[/song]

Jets60
Neat-o song! I really like it. I'd like to play it for my granddaughter who lost her dog too.  I'm just learning how to play the guitar so I would like to ask a question. The Solo, is that played by fingering or strumming the cords? I tried it both ways but it doesn't sound right to me. I'm not sure how to play it.  I'm really messing that part up. Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Again, Nice job!

CJ-5

Hey CJ - I finger pick while I'm running through the chords in the song but that is just how I play. If you want you can tab something that sounds good. Just pick some tabs that follow along with the chords, like in the verses if you get my meaning. I'm kind of a John Prine fan and while I can't play as good as he can I try and follow his style.

J  E  T  S

My Chibi - http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs037.ash2/35233_427168150784_560040784_5084835_4756760_n.jpg

J  E  T  S

cj-5 wrote:

Hello Jets60,  Thanks for the info. I'm not real good at figuring out Tabs yet but I am learning. It takes me awhile. I wish I could hear what it sounds like. It just makes it easier for me. But that's OK, I'll get it figured out. I will keep working on it until I get it down.

Man, You all don't realize how much you've helped me by posting your songs on Chordie. I'm having a ball with them. Thanks, and keep the simple songs coming! Enjoyment, Enjoyment, Enjoyment. smile

CJ-5

Hey CJ - Yeah - I need to record a bunch of my stuff but my "recording studio" such that it is is spread all over the house in various boxes since my daughter's family moved in with us. Let me see what I can work out.

J  E  T  S

No problem at all, CJ. I sit around playing all the time anyway.  Getting the recording stuff rounded up and set up, that's the hard part.

J  E  T  S

Very touching lyrics Jeff and a great picture of Chibi.

Looking forwards to the recording smile

Ken

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

sort of mimics peoples lives youth and getting older good work on these lyrics smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Thanks Kenny and Russ - As usual my recording is on hold until I get my recording space back.
Yeah Russ - I'm starting to feel more like an old dog now a days - Old injuries catching up to me too.

J  E  T  S

Hi againjets still waiting on your video,I played your song a couple of times and for some reason it came out to sound like a joe walse tune,like to hear your version.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Hey Dino - I'll get it out there. It's a gear round up though. Most of the video equipment has been used on babys not music lately. I'd like to hear it Joe Walsh style. I bet it sounded good.

J  E  T  S

14 (edited by Mikayla Kavel 2019-05-03 11:57:06)

Sometimes dogs live better than many people.  Wow!

15 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2019-05-03 03:07:17)

This song is cute as it can be, Jeff, and sounds like a tune you'd hear on Sesame Street! smile

It also got me to thinking what little effort is required to please a child: A bedtime story read, a ball tossed back and forth for a little while, or, in this case, a cute little song about being a dog.

Oh, and that box your refrigerator or washer came in? Well, there's your "rocket ship", right?

Just little stuff like that to stimulate that young imagination and create memories which will stay with that little one for a lifetime.

Did you load this on SoundCloud? Send us a link, if it's there, please.

Also, if possible, I'd love to see and hear more children's tunes whenever  y'all get the urge to write and sing some.

I know this is an old thread, but it really isn't outdated. Our dear, late friend Dino is in the comments and it made me realize how much I miss him - especially now when not many of us are posting. He always had a word or two that would get us started again. smile

Thanks

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Hey Bill - Sorry to overlook your post here. I don't think I have that up any where but I have played it a bunch. I'm pretty sure Zurf has heard me play it. It is pretty simple to play so I can get it up on soundcloud this weekend.     

J  E  T  S

Hi Jets, how did I miss this first time around? It is very cleverly written and so observant, reminds me of my childhood and the dogs we had back in the 50' s. I would also like to hear it when you have the time.     

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Jets
add me to the list - first time reader of the post and wishing on a performance.
I'm a dog lover from age 6 when I got my first !
Dogs = unconditional love ! smile

Good stuff !!

Bill - I was thinking the same about Dino ! sad

Jim     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Hey all - This one was easy. I play this for myself from time to time when I'm missing my girl, Chibi. Hope you all enjoy.

https://soundcloud.com/jets60/life-as-a-dog     

J  E  T  S

Note left on SoundCloud, but I'll repeat here that I bet your little best friend is smiling doggie-grins in animal heaven. Y'all must love each other a lot.     

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

We sure do...Little dog or big dog doesn't seem to matter. They become your best friend and are always there for you.     

J  E  T  S

22 (edited by Peatle Jville 2019-06-09 01:11:10)

A beautiful tribute to a wonderful Lady . Dogs are so loyal I can picture  Chibi wagging her tail looking down from up there saying  "thank you for being my good human dad.".

Thanks very much Pete. She was a great friend who was always there for me. I miss her dearly.     

J  E  T  S

Great story... I'm coming back as a dog, your dog that is.     

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Phill Williams wrote:

Great story... I'm coming back as a dog, your dog that is.

Hehehe....you got it Phill.     

J  E  T  S