1 (edited by TIGLJK 2019-07-23 12:07:41)

Topic: Richmond Park

Well ......  I read Ctech and Angela's "stormy skies" post and then was looking around England on the internet since my daughter is there to be in her friends wedding and I found this beautiful park called Richmond.  I've never been there but it sounds awesome.  Then add Phill's post this morning about - " Hey what are you doing? "   So I wasn't really doing anything - but as I was reading about the deer in Richmond Park I started to play my acoustic guitar a bit and it morphed into a 3/4 time little "waltzy" thing. Before I knew it I imagined a love story happening there.  This is what I came up with !
Hope you like it and hope the park is as beautiful as it sounds.

Richmond Park by Jim Kenyon

[A]It was in a place called –Richmond park, where people gather and [E]talk

a girl like the wind,  swept me off of my feet

I could barely [A]walk,

With clouds floating by in the deep blue sky,lying under chestnut [D]trees

She took my hand, then she [A]took my heart

She was[E] everything to[A] me

Chorus

[D]Oh, Richmond park,Oh[A] Richmond park

Where[E] deer run wild and [A]free

[D]Oh Richmond park, Oh [A]Richmond park

[E]You brought true love to[A] me

[A]She was a vision of beauty just like Richmond park, I fell with all my[E] heart

her eyes and her smile reached into my soul, I knew

that we’d never [A] part

The years rolled along, like a ship on the sea, cutting through every [D]wave

Her voice and her laughter are still [A] in my mind

Oh such [E]memories to cherish and [A] save

Chorus

[E]A love that will always [A]be

[A]Twilight now falls on Richmond park, and I walk the paths a[E]lone

silence echoes in my ears, as

angels have taken my love back [A]home

The sky is dark ,it’s starting to storm, the rain helps hide my [D]tears

I’ll never forget how she [A]loved this place

As we [E]shared it through all of these [A]years

[E]Bring back my love to [A]me

(Repeat 2nd chorus)

[D]Oh Richmondpark, Oh[A] Richmond park

[D]Oh Richmondpark, Oh [A]Richmond park

Slow

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Re: Richmond Park

I Googled "Richmond park" and had a quick glance through their info. I found a link to King Henry's Mound which you might like to peruse, I'll say no more to leave you to see what I saw!!! There is a place there called Pembroke Lodge Gardens, Pembroke in Wales being the place where (I think) Henry was born. There is a lot of history in this country, good and bad. I thought I had a good idea of it but I'm still learning apparently.

great little song, I bet CNET could give it a Tudor feel?     

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Wow Jim love your song lyrics about a place with good memories for me.  For just under two years,1985 to 1986  Maree and I lived in a place called Ham which is very close to Richmond Park a beautiful scenic place. We were fortunate enough to live on the grounds of Manor House in the old Mews Cottage flat which were originally horse stables. The grounds were walled with high security. Next door to us lived the gardener in the gardeners cottage. Across the driveway was the big Manor House where our wealthy landlord lived. Down in the basement the old jail cells were still there as in the old days the Lord Of The Manor used to be  the law enforcer of the area. Back in history Manor House was owned by the Earl of Dysart, who also  owned nearby Ham House, which is a place where tourists visit.   Around the area are church graveyards  which have some famous people buried there such as Captain Vancouver which Canadains would know. The Manor House in Ham Street where we used to live can be found online. Being close to the river Thames with Twickenham on the other side of the river and Richmond a short walk down the road we were spoilt for choice. A short ferry ride up the river took us to Hampton Court Palace. We could also catch the ferry down to central London or by catching a train could be in in central London in half an hour. Celebrity spotting is a bit of a Richmond and surrounding areas sport . Mick Jagger, Pete Townsend, and many other celebs lived in the area. Plenty of good pubs around also with good food at reasonable prices. London restaurants in our time were very expensive but it might be different now. Though the area was full of posers you also met many good sorts.     

Another beauty, TIG (as we say here in Canada). I love the way you can take inspiration from something most of us pass by, create a story around it, and transform those thoughts into a song. Hat's off to you, dude!     

seconded     

TF thanks for the kind words - it just comes easy for me - and i am always cognizant of phrases and comments that would be great themes. There are so many great contributors here on Chordie it seems to be  easy pickens as such.

I play it in both keys  of  A  and G     and like it both ways.

Peatle - that was a great description of a time gone by in the area.   
When I read about the park, it just seemed so peaceful and beautiful. Do you know if the deer and chestnut trees are still as prevalent ?
I did not realize the link between Captain Vancouver and the Canadian city ! Thanks for the history lesson.

Phill - interesting history regarding the King.  Also, what or who  is CNET ? 

Thank you all for the positive feedback - I wish I could sing b/c I think this is really a beautiful little song that is happy and sad at the same time.
I can so picture a gentleman who has lost his life long partner walking through the park and thinking these words.

Thanks again !  Maybe if I get my courage up I'll record it.
Jim     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Jim, I may have got the name wrong? his real name is Trevor Scivens, I think, come on, I am getting old!

You mention  the park? In 2008 I wrote a whole CD of songs about the life in the park, everything from young mothers walking their babies to drug dealers and murder. There is one song about an old man who spends his day in the park, feeds the ducks with his sandwiches and remembering his deceased wife and how they got married during the war and listened to the Sally army band playing in the bandstand. if you look back you may find the words as I've lost all those old songsheets when my old PC committed suicide!     

Phill

your song was exactly what i was thinking in the one I wrote.  Thousands of miles across the Atlantic - never met in person - yet we think so much alike !

So cool !
Thanks
My friend

Jim     

And again I'll ask; How do you guys do that!? smile

Great song! You really need to shoot up to Amy's place next month.     

10 (edited by Peatle Jville 2019-07-25 05:42:31)

Jim, the answer to your question. Richmond Park still has its deer and Chestnut trees plus other sorts of trees and wild life. They close the park every now and then to do a cull of the deer as it is on 5000 acres and can only sustain a certain number of deer. It is not hard to spot deer while in the park and also there is an abundance of Chestnut trees..The park was about ten minutes walk from where we lived. It is surrounded by a big brick wall and fences with a road that goes though the centre of it. We would walk around the park on a nice day and have driven through it also. It is policed by the Royal Parks Constabulary.  In the park there is also ponds, sports fields and buildings of interest. It also a place where people ride horses , play sport and go on pushbike rides. The road through the middle is only opened at certain times and has a twenty mile speed limit. Summertime is the best time to visit the park. I will attach a eleven minute video which shows a good chunk of what  the Richmond area has to offer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2eq27pCna28

UJB  What is the date of the jubliee ?
Amy is hardly ever on here anymore, i thought may be she wasn't doing that anymore.

Jim     

TIGLJK wrote:

UJB  What is the date of the jubliee ?
Amy is hardly ever on here anymore, i thought may be she wasn't doing that anymore.

Jim

She was thinking about not having it this year but I gave her a little nudge. smile I'll have to prod her to log in and make a mention of it here.

It's the weekend of August 16-18.

You really should think about coming. Would be great to meet another Chordian. smile