Topic: Sitting in the Park

this is a song I wrote that makes me feel melancholy every time I play it or just read it...

How the world has changed, you've never let it change you
what you used to be, has fed you and sustained you
now what lies ahead, you don't want to contemplate
the things she might have said; "just leave it all to fate"

Sitting in the park, watch the world pass by you
you used to sit with her, taking in this great view
willow and oak, swans in the water
your son and his wife, with his son and daughter

you've seen these self same kids, grow up and remind you
time keeps marching on, some day it will consume you
then you'll be with her again, happy together
the angels called for her, and so she had to leave you

Now you sit in the park, remembering the laughter
cream tea and cakes, on the day that you asked her
soon you were wed, on a Sunday in August
no party no dance, no money to squander

Sitting in the park, watch the world pass by you
now you sit alone, taking in this great view
you used to sit with her, taking in this great view....

words and music by Phill Williams

hope you like it comments welcome

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Re: Sitting in the Park

this is a song that sort of linked from another song, you know how you write a character in then he developes his own identity.
personally I like it...hope you do too

i love the words in the first verse, seems like a wee song of a lost love and reminiscing about it. it kind of reminds me of this other song ......... only joking lol. do you know how to use the voodoo tool to insert chords and chord boxes etc, this can bring it to life, see the post at the top of the songwriting forum if ya need any help just holler and someone will assist.

Don't Cry because it is over...

smile because it happened.    Gabriel García Marquez

You are right in a way, it is a love song, but it's also a lament for an absent friend.
Let me tell you the story; it's all about a 70 + man who goes to the park every day and sits on the same bench he's sat on for the last 45 years. He met his wife to be there, he proposed over tea and cream cakes, and in August of 1947 they got married. In post war Britain, there was little money for a big wedding or a party, so after a registry wedding they went to the park and danced to the brass band, just the two of them...aw!
So, he goes to the park every day, with his packed lunch and sits feeding the ducks and watching the park life, he thinks about his son and his grandchildren, and of-course he remembers his life with his beloved wife. He's just biding his time until the angels decide it's his time.
This is why I love the song and it makes me sad and melancholy, I love the story that built itself around this song, which is a follow on to another song I wrote, which [when I get around to it] will form an album along with about 10 other songs that will hopefully describe the lives of the people that visit the park.
By the by, it's in waltz time, the key is E major, and it's sort of finger picking, and yes I read the bit about how to put the chords and stuff in, but I'm a bit thick in all things clever, it took me ages to get back onto this page after logging in this morning for the first time. Any help would be welcome.
Phill

beautifal but sad little story phil pity the old boy couldnt move on with his life

Don't Cry because it is over...

smile because it happened.    Gabriel García Marquez

Then there wouldn't be a story?
Thanks for the thought

Phill

Hi Phil Williams,
This song reminds me of the park where i walk my dogs.
A real old Couple walk there! Very slowly i might add. I ofton speak to them.
They hold hands always.
I never see there hands as old. When i speak to them, i always see there hands as young hands. Its so lovely to do that with older people. Look beyond the age.. I hope i never see this man alone on a bench in the park!
I know the words of your song will sing in his head.

Lovely topic.

Thank You.

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

I've revived this song from 2007 so Jim wont have to.