Topic: RETRACTION OF ANNOUNCEMENT

I posted pre-maturely the other day.  Yes I was asked to join Fatal Butterfly.  I was very flattered and posted the picture (which I thought was pretty cool-) I had never been given that great a compliment.
After a day or two of thinking and a few other pieces of information, I decided to decline the offer.
I realized I just don’t have time for 2 bands, my kids, dating, My real job, and my detailing (which is almost not going due to sever lack of motivation in the winter rain and snow.)
Then the little phrase “Bring 4 of your songs to the set list so the band can learn them.”
I asked Toni (their drummer and my drummer) when the last time (Ill just say G as the one who “owns the band”) G wrote any new songs was. 3to 5 yrs was the answer. Then add on top that she leaves her guitar at Toni’s house and only plays it once a week. (EVEN FOR PUNK IT REALLY SHOWED).
So I say to myself “Scott, why take your good songs to someone who doesn’t practice or have the motivation to wrote?”  That was a big factor to me.  So I bowed out.
This past Tuesday, I was practicing with Toni on BAABY OH and her roommate wanted to sing. I said sure go for it. – he just didn’t get it. Tried using a growl and removing the OH and was talking about how it sounded better >>>>>> I was like NO that’s not how it goes.  I got very possessive of how it should sound. But I backed off and said have fun, we are just jamming.
I learned some things all in that hour along with the prior experience.
1.    Either I will defiantly be the primary voice, or I need to find someone willing to meet me close to my ear of how it goes. 
2.    I have been willing to let a singer move some of the more complicated verses around, BUT DON’T TAKE THE HEART OF THE SONG OUT
3.    IF YOU ARE TOO LAZY TO WRITE ANY NEW SONGS IN 5 YEARS, I AM NOT GIVING YOU MINE
4.    When you only play your guitar once a week- it shows.  Even for punk.
5.    Personalities make or break a band. (I think we all know this)
6.    YES. THIS IS DEFINANTLY MY BABY AND I WANT TO KICK SOME TAIL!!!
7.    In a light hearted joke- I need to teach Toni how to pronounce “Dissonant”  LOLOLOL
Also I am thinking that CSNY “LOVE THE ONE YOU’RE WITH” is also ripe for a makeover big_smile 

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Re: RETRACTION OF ANNOUNCEMENT

do you feel better now you've got that off your chest? most band disagreements arise when there are more than one dominant personalities.  often people that are meek at the beginning turn into the "one who must be obeyed" even if they cant play or write, been there done that, became solo!     

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Been there too ,I remember once a certain bass player at rehearsal saying to me  Graham,James Brown doesn't sing the song like that.I replied I'm not James Brown ,we soon parted company.LOL     

beamer wrote:

7.    In a light hearted joke- I need to teach Toni how to pronounce “Dissonant”  LOLOLOL

This from the guy who misspelled 'definitely' two different ways in the same post. smile     

But I can pronounce it! big_smile     

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

I can spell it too.....I T     

Baldguitardude wrote:
beamer wrote:

This from the guy who misspelled 'definitely' two different ways in the same post. smile

In the Lewis and Clark journals, William Clark spells "Mosquito" 13 different ways.

It happens!     

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

8 (edited by Peatle Jville 2020-01-27 05:43:26)

Good on you Beamer for knowing what you want out of a band and sticking to it.  I like fəˈnɛtɪk or is it phonetic spelling. No wonder I get confused words never look like what they sound is it sycology or psychology. In my short time playing in a rock band I found egos hard to deal with so I got out of it. I think with many groups they tend to revolve around the player with the biggest ego. Though I did enjoy doing a few Sunday afternoon gigs when I was in my twenties with a bunch of old guys who were in their sixties and seventies with me singing  some old jazz and blues standards badly.  Egos in music and big aguments have always been there. Take the famous Handel who wrote Handels  Messiah sung by choirs all around the world. A bizarre incident in 1704 might have seen Handel's composing career cut tragically short after a set-to with fellow composer Johann Mattheson. The two had a duel over who should conduct their orchestra., Mattheson almost killed Handel with his sword, which fortunately struck a button on Handel's chest rather than the chest itself.

Peatle Jville wrote:

Take the famous Handel who wrote Handels  Messiah sung by choirs all around the world. A bizarre incident in 1704 might have seen Handel's composing career cut tragically short after a set-to with fellow composer Johann Mattheson. The two had a duel over who should conduct their orchestra., Mattheson almost killed Handel with his sword, which fortunately struck a button on Handel's chest rather than the chest itself.

I've been in bands where disagreements erupted into violence, mainly handbags at dawn....whoever dawn was!!! But never proding with sharp stuff.
I was once in a band where I was tasked with choosing the next song, long sets 9 till 1 am. Then the bassists girlfriend shouted out "why does he have to pick the songs?" Yoko Ono moment? I moved to bass after that and he moved to Liverpool and became a copper...go figure?     

You are protective of your songs, and some have difficult to learn rhythms. It would be hard for another to sing them the way you want them. As an example, I tried and tried with Garage Beer Day and just couldn't get it, but I like it when you perform it.

I think that was a good move. It wasn't not a right or wrong thing, but it was a thing.     

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude