Topic: RETRACTION OF ANNOUNCEMENT
I posted pre-maturely the other day. Yes I was asked to join Fatal Butterfly. I was very flattered and posted the picture (which I thought was pretty cool-) I had never been given that great a compliment.
After a day or two of thinking and a few other pieces of information, I decided to decline the offer.
I realized I just don’t have time for 2 bands, my kids, dating, My real job, and my detailing (which is almost not going due to sever lack of motivation in the winter rain and snow.)
Then the little phrase “Bring 4 of your songs to the set list so the band can learn them.”
I asked Toni (their drummer and my drummer) when the last time (Ill just say G as the one who “owns the band”) G wrote any new songs was. 3to 5 yrs was the answer. Then add on top that she leaves her guitar at Toni’s house and only plays it once a week. (EVEN FOR PUNK IT REALLY SHOWED).
So I say to myself “Scott, why take your good songs to someone who doesn’t practice or have the motivation to wrote?” That was a big factor to me. So I bowed out.
This past Tuesday, I was practicing with Toni on BAABY OH and her roommate wanted to sing. I said sure go for it. – he just didn’t get it. Tried using a growl and removing the OH and was talking about how it sounded better >>>>>> I was like NO that’s not how it goes. I got very possessive of how it should sound. But I backed off and said have fun, we are just jamming.
I learned some things all in that hour along with the prior experience.
1. Either I will defiantly be the primary voice, or I need to find someone willing to meet me close to my ear of how it goes.
2. I have been willing to let a singer move some of the more complicated verses around, BUT DON’T TAKE THE HEART OF THE SONG OUT
3. IF YOU ARE TOO LAZY TO WRITE ANY NEW SONGS IN 5 YEARS, I AM NOT GIVING YOU MINE
4. When you only play your guitar once a week- it shows. Even for punk.
5. Personalities make or break a band. (I think we all know this)
6. YES. THIS IS DEFINANTLY MY BABY AND I WANT TO KICK SOME TAIL!!!
7. In a light hearted joke- I need to teach Toni how to pronounce “Dissonant” LOLOLOL
Also I am thinking that CSNY “LOVE THE ONE YOU’RE WITH” is also ripe for a makeover
I guess you guys are going to get Scotty the metalizer, punk style.