Topic: Writing as I Move My Lips

This song started with a tune that I was playing around with this morning. Then I added the words and tweaked with the music, adjusting here and there until I was done. I think the words aptly describe how I write many of my songs, or at least this song. This song title, Writing as I Move My Lips. came to me from what I caught myself doing today (and put into the lyrics), trying to get the rhythm fixed in my head as I was fitting the words to my music.

Writing as I Move My Lips By Jeff Gilpin

~~~~~~~~

Intro  - strumming Am

~

[Am]Sitting by my lonesome, [F]looking [C]’round.

[G]Listening to the house making [C]house like [G]sounds.

[Am]Thinking to myself, “What [F]should I [C]do be[G]fore this [F]day is [Am]through?”

~

[Am]Forceful are the habits [F]in my [C]head,

[G]Directing the path to [C]which I’m [G]led.

[Am]I’m just sitting here and [F]writing [C]down the [G]thoughts in my [F]head turning [Am]round.

~

[C]Words flow to my [G]fingertips,

[C]Tapping out the letters as I [E]move my lips.

[Am]Capturing the thoughts that [F]come my [C]way, be[G]fore they’re [F]gone to [Am]stay.

~

[Am]I don’t think my thoughts are [F]all that [C]grand,

[G]Floating here and there but re[C]fusing to [G]land.

[Am]Maybe if I stay and [F]write them [C]all [G]they’ll make [F]sense before they [Am]fall.

~

[Am]I try not to guide the [F]way I [C]think,

[G]Water flowing into a [C]kitchen [G]sink.

[Am]I don’t analyze or [F]cut them [C]down, [G]swimming [F]trying not to [Am]drown

~

[Am]Capturing the thoughts that [F]come my [C]way, be[G]fore they’re [F]gone to [Am]stay.

~

[C]Looking inside [G]looking out,

[C]Looking at the world as it [G]screams and shouts,

[C]I’m not really worried which [G]way I flow

Until I [F]get to the end of an[E]other begin.

~

[Am]Putting down my words in a [F]virtual [C]space.

[G]Reading them all out but with[C]out much [G]haste.

[Am]I put little edits [F]there and [C]here [G]as the [F]end come [Am]near.

~

[Am]I put down my writing [F]when it’s [C]done.

[G]Subject’s not so serious, a [C]little [G]fun.

[Am]Sewing up my words with a [F]somber [C]tune, [G]only to [F]end too [Am]soon.

~

~

Slow fade strumming Am

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Re: Writing as I Move My Lips

profound Jeff. I suppose we all have similar thoughts but getting them down in an intelligible order is the trick.

Fine writing.     

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Yes, I quite agree with Phill - nicely done Jeff!     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Thanks Phill and Jim. This one came to me pretty easy. I usually find it tough to come up with the music once I have the words but not the other way around. And some days both are difficult.     

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Here's the song if you want to hear how it goes: https://soundcloud.com/jets60/writing-as-i-move-my-lips     

J  E  T  S

6 (edited by Peatle Jville 2020-09-07 01:04:49)

Jeff that is brilliant you paint a good picture with your song of a writer in a quiet home making mind  images with words that flow. For me to write a decent song can be very elusive for me.  I admire the way  you are able to do it naturally with a nice folky style that tells good stories.
My favourite time to write is when I am alone in the house my ears in the quiet hear the sounds around me which I don't normally hear.     It is then I develop the ideas that have come to me in the days and nights before. I seem to get ideas for poems and songs while out and about and then when I am in the shower or doing other things more words come to me or sometimes new ideas. I have had whole poems or songs come to me in the shower  but usually by the time get out of the shower I can't remember what it was.  I have written a couple things early in the morning I will be fast asleep an idea comes to me I quickly hop out of bed speedily write it down before the universe steals the thought from  me sending it into outer space and a place where I cant cant find it again. The right time to some how put it all together all  those bits and pieces of words floating around usually for  me  can be hard to find sometimes.  I need to be in my house with just me and my thoughts and the sound of life outside.

Thanks for your kind words Pete, and thanks for sharing your insight and your own personal writing experiences.     

J  E  T  S

Love the melody and your voice is so reminiscent of Burl Ives.     

Thanks Phill and thanks for the comparison to Burl Ives. He was a great folk artist and actor. You took me back, thinking about all his works.     

J  E  T  S

there was an old lady who swallowed a fly...she ended up swallowing a horse...she's dead...of course. now that's writing