Topic: Red Sails

We got our first snowfall today and it got me thinking about one of my songs. I had been to a songwriter's jam in Cincinnati and was driving back home in a snow storm. I began to think about how we use weather words to describe relationships (hot, cold, steamy, stormy, etc) and got the idea for a song. The verses came pretty easy but I couldn't come up with a chorus that was suitable. I got on line and did some research and found out that one of the earliest means of predicting weather was developed by Phoenician sailors. They knew that a red sunrise meant that an approaching storm was stirring up dust and causing the sky to appear red, hence the old adage "red sails in the morning, sailors take warning".

This another of my recordings done in a  spare bedroom using a cheap mic.  I like to think of it as my "creek bank" style as it's just me and my old acoustic, same as it would sound if I was playing around a campfire with my friends.

https://soundcloud.com/user-198880521/red-sails

Red Sails   Ken Willis

[D] [F#m] [D] [F#m]

Verse 1:

[D]Looks like a winter storm is [F#m]coming

[D]Dump some snow then head back out to [F#m]sea

[Em]I hate the chilly wind it's [G]bringing

But it's [Bm]nothing like that cold front [A]'tween her and me

Verse 2:

[D]Heat wave just couldn't last [F#m]forever

[D]And now the storm clouds have let [F#m]go

[Em]Lord I hate this change in [G]weather

'Cause the [Bm]bluebird skies that come with the highs don't [A]make up for these lows

Chorus:

[D]Red [A]sails on the [G]horizon

[D]Sailors say take [A]warning and [G]watch that eastern sky

[D]I'll be [A]heading west this [G]morning

[D]Looking for some [A]shelter from the [G]storm clouds in her eyes

[D] [F#m] [D] [F#m]

Verse 3:

[D]I don't like it when rain turns to [F#m] sleetin'

[D]But there is no one I can [F#m]blame

[Em]Yesterday I caught her [G]cheatin'

And [Bm] she's just like the weather [A]I can't make her change

Chorus:

[D]Sailors say take [A]warning and [G]watch that eastern sky

[D]I'll be [A]heading west this [G]morning

[D]Looking for some [A]shelter from the [G]storm clouds in her eyes

[D]Red [A]sails on the [G]horizon [D]

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Re: Red Sails

"Recorded on a cheap mic in a spare bedroom under the influence of adult beverages." Wasnt that the warning label on your first album?

I have always appreciated your ability to formulate a song around a phrase. Your word play has always impressed me, and as I've gotten to know you better, I've noticed that its something you continuously practice and hone. There's a lesson for me in there somewhere.     

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Thanks Zurf. I think everyone that writes songs has a particular "formula" that works for them. If we all did it the same way then our songs would sound the same and that would be pretty boring. The ideas for a lot of my songs come from hearing or reading a phrase that I find interesting, building a "story" around it, and then trying to add music that fits the mood of the song (prosody). I've already told the story about how the lyrics developed for this song. I also attempted to start the accompanying music softly and build up to the chorus just like an approaching storm. Did it work? I don't know, but the goal is to try to make all the "pieces" fit together.

I look forward to the time we can again sit around a campfire, tip a few adult beverages, talk about the things we've been up to and play some tunes together my friend.

DE     

Dirty Ed wrote:

I look forward to the time we can again sit around a campfire, tip a few adult beverages, talk about the things we've been up to and play some tunes together my friend.

DE

Amen.     

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

NIce one Ken !

I enjoyed listening to it.
Great imagery - alluding to the weather and the relationship at the same time.  Well Done Sir !
Jim     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

A really nice song with very clever lyrics. I particularly like the line. These bluebird skies that come with the highs don't make up for the loss.     

Thick as two short planks

DE I ;love the way you use the weather as a metaphor to describe what's going down in the relationship.     

there are so many twists and turns and some great chord changes and the way you take us from a weather song to a break up song seamlessly. i love the way you hammer in the chorus and yes you do begin quietly and shock and awe with that mighty chorus. i could hear the bass and drums backing your voice and guitar from the background. that mic may be a cheapie but it sounds great.     

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Thanks for all the kind words everyone. I would love to sit around a campfire with you all, sip some adult beverages, listen to everyone play their original songs and hear the stories behind them. 

DE     

Peatle Jville wrote:

DE I ;love the way you use the weather as a metaphor to describe what's going down in the relationship.

This is why I don't write songs. I'm too literal for folk, and too metaphorical for country.     

Zurf wrote:

This is why I don't write songs. I'm too literal for folk, and too metaphorical for country.

That sounds like material for a song.  wink     

Zurf's Dilemna

My attempt at writing songs
Was like a cruel and painful joke
I was told that I'm too literal
For the genre known as folk
But when I tried to write a different way
A country music oracle
Said for that style of music
I'm much too metaphorical  roll     

Ken

very Clever  !
can't wait for the chorus!
Jim     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke