1 (edited by Peatle Jville 2021-02-12 01:55:25)

Topic: A Little Faith

This is a song Phill Williams and I wrote about controlling the negative thoughts in your mind. Otherwise, your mind could become like a sewer. I will also attach Phill doing this song he made a real good job of it.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YHV_E75edA

A Little Faith 

[G] You  got to [D] believe.

[G] Got to have a [C] little faith.

[C] Your letting [G] silly thoughts hold you [D] down.

[G] Your building [D] mountains high.

[G] When there is [C] nothing at all.

[C] Your letting these [G] demons take [D] hold.

[C] Hi, hi, hi, hi. [G] Low, low, low, low.

[D] You got to have a little faith in [G] you.

[D] Just to have a little faith in [G] you.

[G] You know that you can [D] do it.

[G] Its all [C] inside your head.

[C] Your the one that [G] builds those [D] barriers.

[G] It’s easy to [D] get it wrong.

[G] If you over [C] think things.

[C] You just got to [G] rid yourself of those [D] demons.

[Em] You gotta believe and you’ll [D] get there.

[Em] Don’t build the mountain in your [D] head.

[Em] Think of positive thoughts. [D] When you go to bed.

[Am] And you’ll get through. [C] You'll get through. [D]

[Em] I think what you do is you over [D] think things.

[Em] Let the demons take you [D] over.

[Em] Their just thoughts in your [D] head.

[Am] You gotta have faith.

[C] You gotta have faith in [D] you.

You got to think...

Re: A Little Faith

great stuff both of you,really enjoyed the vid.
keep them coming,seems very little interest from anyone else on chordie
but dont let that get to you,it is a reflection of others not of you.
it if counts for anything im very interested in listening to new music.
more please!     

The King Of Audio Torture

Peatle and Phill

Great message - sound is fantastic and the video is spot on!!

Well done gents !!

Jim     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Thanks both. Peatle just comes up with some super words which makes it easy for me to put them in order and fit a tune. He then seems to conjure images from thin air. Happy Valentines to all you young lovers out there, and the not so young...lol     

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Hey, you two. I love the song and I love the idea. I think everyone in the world can relate, especially people who make music. Well done!     

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

easybeat wrote:

great stuff both of you,really enjoyed the vid.
keep them coming,seems very little interest from anyone else on chordie
but dont let that get to you,it is a reflection of others not of you.
it if counts for anything im very interested in listening to new music.
more please!

Interesting insight Easy Beat. Essentially, when I put some music into the public domain here on chordie it's because I am inviting feedback; hopefully constructive feedback at that. Though positive feedback from people on chordie is something that builds my confidence I don't get my self-esteem from it. I think I should maybe fit more of chordie into my internet time and make more comments on other people posts. At the same time, I don't want the internet and social media sites to rule my life. One of the many upsides with chordie is I get to write a song with talented people like Phill which is a real privilege. I am pleased you enjoyed the song  thank you for your support.     

TIGLJK wrote:

Peatle and Phill

Great message - sound is fantastic and the video is spot on!!

Well done gents !!

Jim

Cheers Jim
Phill made a brilliant job with putting the completed song together. His voice and talented musicianship made the video and song work. It has been a privilege to write this song with Phill.
Thank you for your feedback.     

jets60 wrote:

Hey, you two. I love the song and I love the idea. I think everyone in the world can relate, especially people who make music. Well done!

Thank you Jeff
I am pleased how Phill and I were able to get this song together. Without Phill's superb talent this song wouldn't have come together.     

Phill Williams wrote:

Thanks both. Peatle just comes up with some super words which makes it easy for me to put them in order and fit a tune. He then seems to conjure images from thin air. Happy Valentines to all you young lovers out there, and the not so young...lol

Cheers Phill I am always in awe of your musical talent it has been a privilege to write this song with you and have your recording come out spot on.
Happy  Valentines to you and Ann plus all the loving couples  out there.     

This song was written by Peatle  to encourage me.
I was asked to read some poems i had got published in an anthology.
It was part of promoting the book.
The thought of being in front of people and talking scares the hell out of me.
The only line he didnt use in the song was when he said to me
``if you dont do this thing you will live to regret missing the opertunity``     

I enjoyed listening to the song. I'll have to admit though, that I'm not used to hearing a song where nothing rhymes. Is that becoming a popular genre?     

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

12 (edited by Peatle Jville 2021-02-15 06:46:50)

easybeat wrote:

This song was written by Peatle  to encourage me.
I was asked to read some poems i had got published in an anthology.
It was part of promoting the book.
The thought of being in front of people and talking scares the hell out of me.
The only line he didnt use in the song was when he said to me
``if you dont do this thing you will live to regret missing the opertunity``

Cheers Brian you will be real good at your poetry gig.  I must point out that I can't take all the credit for this song as Phill did the music side and magic vocal plus improved on the lyrics I wrote. He came up with the chorus as I didn't have one and also arranged the lyrics into a better order.

Dirty Ed wrote:

I enjoyed listening to the song. I'll have to admit though, that I'm not used to hearing a song where nothing rhymes. Is that becoming a popular genre?

Cheers Ken I don't think lyrics that don't rhyme are a new popular genre. I don't have enough knowledge of modern songs to know for sure. The down side of my poetry and song writing is my words have very little rhyme so it does make it hard for someone to make it flow. I just hope my weird style some how works.     

It's different than what I'm used to but it indeed works!     

Rhymes I don't think are necessary in more serious or academic songs. The purpose of a song is to get a story across with, hopefully, a good tune. One without the other doesn't work, to me at least. I've heard my kids rave about a song that is tuneless, in my opinion, and they say listen to the words! No! The most memorable songs have the whole package.
Pete's words were brilliant, I just hope my part in the project did them justice!     

Rhymes are over rated in my opinion.
I hate reading a lyric where you can tell the writer has
gone for a rhyme at the expense of the story, or it`s not a natural fit.
Sure it`s easier to write in rhymes,i guess thats why many fall back on it.
Myself included sometimes.     

easybeat wrote:

Rhymes are over rated in my opinion.
I hate reading a lyric where you can tell the writer has
gone for a rhyme at the expense of the story, or it`s not a natural fit.
Sure it`s easier to write in rhymes,i guess thats why many fall back on it.
Myself included sometimes.

I disagree. Sure, if a songwriter is rhyming at the expense of the "story" then they're not doing a very good job of song writing and not putting in the work necessary to make a good song. To me, it seems much easier to avoid trying to rhyme and just write a story and attach a melody to it.  I admit  I've written a couple of songs that only used rhymes in the chorus.  I had spent hours trying to tell the story with rhyming verses but ended taking the easy way out.  One of the songwriting seminars I attended was hosted by a successful Nashville songwriter. He said one of the keys to a good song is to write a simple chorus with a memorable hook (which should also be the song title) so upon hearing the song for the first time,  by the end of the song the listener will not only be singing along with the chorus but will remember the name of the song for future reference. If a "song" is basically a story with no rhyme or repeatable chorus, it's doomed to be quickly forgotten IMO. 

Here on chordie we have the luxury of being able to explain the song and post the lyrics before letting others hear it, but normally folks will hear a song for the first time without any explanation. If there is no catchy chorus or interesting rhyme scheme, I feel the song will not be memorable.  I readily admit I haven't written any songs that are "memorable". The reason I normally play my songs around a campfire or at some venue where I have the luxury of telling the story behind the song is because I don't think many of my songs have the necessary "backbone" to stand on their own.     

Isn`t it great we all see the world a little differently,and can agree to disagree.This is becoming a rare thing in the world
in recent times.I respect your opinion,especially as ive heard many of your songs and think they are very very professional.
I think if someone is trying to write a song that will be popular,they may have a different take on it to someone who is
trying to say something.I`m a big fan of your songs,so yeah you have written memorable songs.
many thanks for engaging in this conversation with me.     

19 (edited by Peatle Jville 2021-02-16 04:40:53)

Phill Williams wrote:

Rhymes I don't think are necessary in more serious or academic songs. The purpose of a song is to get a story across with, hopefully, a good tune. One without the other doesn't work, to me at least. I've heard my kids rave about a song that is tuneless, in my opinion, and they say listen to the words! No! The most memorable songs have the whole package.
Pete's words were brilliant, I just hope my part in the project did them justice!

Thank you Phill you did a brilliant job on the song it was a good end result.

Here are my uneducated thoughts on rhymes in songs. I wish I could write more lyrics that rhyme I admire people that can do that. The repetition of similar sounds  creates patterns that are catchy or pleasing to peoples  ears. The alternating stressed and unstressed patterns in lyric lines create a rhythm that propels many well known song into our heads’ if that is good or bad I have no strong opinions on that. My songs and poems are mostly me writing as I talk and as a result means that in most cases they would never be likely to be top of the charts listening material.  What I think does help is when someone with a good voice and musicality like  Phill Williams can take my lyrics put them in a good order then add a chorus which does something that makes a song flow into  peoples ears better.     

great collaboration guys ,
my thoughts on the rhyming purely uneducated also , its nice if it rhymes but not essential as long as it flows. I cheat when I write I use a program that finds words that rhyme.     

out of tune out of key and out of touch

a program that finds words that rhyme?   holy sacrilege, mojo you should be ashamed ....where did you get it?     

Phill Williams wrote:

a program that finds words that rhyme?   holy sacrilege, mojo you should be ashamed ....where did you get it?

https://rhymebrain.com/en
as a show of my shame i will admit to the location of such  sacrilege     

out of tune out of key and out of touch

mojo01 wrote:
Phill Williams wrote:

https://rhymebrain.com/en
as a show of my shame i will admit to the location of such  sacrilege

I'm guessing every young songwriter in Nashville has used that site. The older ones use a pocket rhyming dictionary. smile     

25 (edited by ctech 2021-02-22 22:07:36)

I've witten songs that rhyme and some not so as long as it flows and makes sense and is well structured then so be it.

Hard times create strong men,Strong men create good times,Good times create weak men,Weak men create hard times.Cantwere rice INVICTA!