Topic: night terrors

this began as a nonsense poem about nothing in particular and developed over a few days into a song about night terrors!

Night TerrorsUndefined

[INTRO; Dm-Am-Gm-Dm X2.]

[]

[Dm] You cant see the tide roll.

[Am] With your head above the clouds.

[Gm] Water constant movement.

Breaking [Dm] thunder so loud.

[Dm] Hear the wind disturb the falling leaves.

[Am] As they line the forrest floor.

[Gm] Whispers in dark crevices.

[Dm] Chills your body to the core.

[SOLO; Bb-Dm-Gm-Dm| Bb-Dm-G-A7]

[]

[Dm] Slip unseen through darkest night.

[Am] A shadow transits, softly now.

[Gm] Malice, spite and hurt is planned.

[Dm] Death and disfigure is soon at hand.

[Dm] As the daylight passes and night descends.

[Am] Midnight creatures crawl across the land.

[Gm] Slither, slimey, nightmare ghouls.

[Dm] Taking feckless daytime fools.

[Bb] Wake-up, wake- up [Dm]. [Gm] Don't drink that [Dm] poison potion.

[Bb] Wake-up, wake-up [Dm]. The [G] nightmare has to [A7] end.

[Bb] Wake-up. Wake-up [Dm]. [Gm] Devil beasts patrol the [Dm] land.

[Bb] Wake-up, wake-up [Dm]. [G] Run away while [A7] you still can.

Words & Music by Phill Williams. 

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Re: night terrors

Well done! Eerie song that evokes a lot of nightmarish images, and the choice of chords really support the theme of the song.  The verses prior to the solo use an ABCB rhyme scheme and after the solo change to  ABCC. Was there a reason you made a  change in the rhyme structure?     

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

3 (edited by Peatle Jville 2021-02-24 04:33:17)

Phill reading those lyrics I was instantly  transported back to my childhood. We would spend a bit of time out in the wilds and night time for me as a child would send my imagination flying and I would spend many a night in my sleeping bag terrified by the sounds and  tree shadows cast by moonlight in the night. I look forward to hearing you do it as a song.

Yes there was a reason Ken, it just came out that way. I tried to the same as the first two but failed! I went back to it a few days after the others. In fact, all the verses were written on different days over a week or so. The last verse, which I call the chorus, was written on the fly, so speak a la Pete and Brian!     

Shwmae Pete?

To be honest I never suffered with night terrors. I used to play in a band where the other guitarist, John, used to be a big fan of horror books, movies and songs as well as the Beatles...good old days! It began as a single line which I thought would be a arty nonsense poem.

I've uploaded the recording to SoundCloud and the link is to be found in MY BAND AND ME. I think?     

No sorry that's BANDS AND ARTISTS...twpyn!     

Wild lyrics Phill -  I never had such issues, in fact my buds and I used to sleep out in the summertime in the cemetery for fun.

Jim     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

8 (edited by Peatle Jville 2021-02-24 20:47:21)

Phill Williams wrote:

Shwmae Pete?

To be honest I never suffered with night terrors. I used to play in a band where the other guitarist, John, used to be a big fan of horror books, movies and songs as well as the Beatles...good old days! It began as a single line which I thought would be a arty nonsense poem.

I've uploaded the recording to SoundCloud and the link is to be found in MY BAND AND ME. I think?

kei te pÄ“hea koe Phill?  I'm good He pai au
That recording vocals and everything about the music has turned out real good. I could imagine Carlos Santana doing a Latino cover of your song.