1 (edited by TIGLJK 2021-03-18 02:30:28)

Topic: Song: Some People Cry

I can't even tell you why I wrote this.  I have no clue.  smile
It just came out - I guess it's about a bad marriage.  It's not about me - I am celebrating 38 years with my wife this year - but I know plenty of my friends that have gone through such a struggle .

Some People Cry by Jim Kenyon

Some People Cry

Verse 1

[Am] Why don’t you leave me [Dm] all alone and [Am]walk right out the [E] door

[Am] Love’s been gone so [Dm]long now, I don’t [Am]want you[E] here no [Am]more

[Am] you squandered all our [Dm] money, and you [Am]shattered all our [E]dreams

our [Am] house is cold and [Dm]lonely, at [Am]least that’s [E]how it [Am]seems

Verse 2

[Am]There’s nothing left for [Dm] us to do, ‘cause[Am] everything's been[E] lost

[Am]ain't no sense in[Dm] praying now ,or [Am] keeping our [E] fingers[Am] crossed

[Am]remember what we said so [Dm] long ago, til [Am]death do we [E]part

seems [Am] dying would be [Dm]easier, than [Am] fixing this [E] broken [Am] heart

Chorus

[Am]Some people cry to [Dm] ease their pain, some [Am]cry ‘cause they can’t move [E]on

[Am]Some people cry when [Dm]love slips away,they [Am]know that the [E]feeling’s [Am] gone

[Am]Some people cry when they’re [Dm] feeling lost, some [Am] cry because they’re [E] sad

[Am] I’m not crying over [Dm] losing love, you [Am]can’t lose what you [E]never [Am] had

Verse 3

[Am]No more hours spent [Dm] wondering why, or [Am] holding back my [E] tears

[Am]No more nights of [Dm] loneliness, no more [Am] running[E] from my[Am] fears

For [Am]reasons I’ve long [Dm] forgotten [Am] I suppose I loved you [E]in some[Am] ways

But [Am]once you're gone,[Dm] this storm will pass, [Am]I'll find some [E] better [Am]days

Chorus

[Am]Some people cry to [Dm] ease their pain, some [Am]cry ‘cause they can’t move [E]on

[Am]Some people cry when [Dm]love slips away and they [Am]know the [E]feeling’s [Am] gone

[Am]Some people cry when they’re [Dm] feeling lost, some [Am] cry ‘cause they’re [E] sad

[Am]But I’m not crying over [Dm] losing love, you [Am]can’t lose what you [E]never [Am] had

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

2 (edited by Peatle Jville 2021-03-14 08:58:02)

Re: Song: Some People Cry

Congratulations on your 38th anniversary coming up Jim.  Reading your lyrics  reminds me of the many broken marriages  of people I have known and know the common theme or the cause of the break down is the loss of trust in the relationship.. Those lyrics in your song,  "I’m not crying over losing you, cause you can’t lose what you never had" is a feeling many have  about  their break ups. The person I thought I loved didn't really exist feeling.

Having gone through a marriage break up I know the story well. You've written this song as if you have knowledge of it. You have made one error, my friend, though I can say I almost hated my ex by the time I left (and still do! ) I still cried at the thought I was leaving something I'd invested in and my two son's which I wasn't allowed to see. Then I met my soul mate Ann, and we celebrate 40 years in May.
Thanks for bringing up a part of my life I'd rather forget but you did it so well that I forgive you...lol     

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

4 (edited by TIGLJK 2021-03-14 12:34:53)

Thanks Peatle. (yes, it seems to be the standard bearer for bad relationships)

Thanks for forgiving me Phill ! I didn't intend to bring up hurtful memories, but now after reading your post, I can certainly see how it could.
To make amends, I changed the third verse - so it actually can lead to a second chance - and to find someone again to love
and trust as you have done.  Maybe give a little hope and inspiration that a divorce doesn't have to be an end - but a bridge to a new beginning.
Best wishes to you and Ann on 40 years

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

5 (edited by Peatle Jville 2021-03-14 21:05:03)

Jim on a lighter note about marriage breakups  a car dealer here in Wellington use to have a big sign up at the front of his yard that read  " My wife left me and ran of with my best friend and I really do miss him".

Jim...it was just me being flippant so I apologize for making you feel awkward. I got over that *** a long time ago. I got the car and half the record collection and my freedom. She got the house, the furniture, and the two kids. It's a pity youngsters cant tell the difference between lust and love. As you get older you realise that lust wears off! I trust you'll record it? There are a few lines that don't fit right in my mind. All in all another great song.     

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Hope to hear a recording soon Jim. I've never been able to write serious songs about relationships. I've written two about divorce but they're both funny songs.

BTW Peatle, "My wife ran off with my best friend and I sure do miss him" was a song written in 1996 by a songwriter named Wayne Carter. I don't know much about him, but years ago I heard it on the radio.     

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Thanks Ken.

If you look at the song - I made quite a few lyric changes and I'm not sure those are the chords I will use when
and if I ever get the time to record it.  Phill's comments made me think (which is a good thing ! ) about the recovering part
for many who have found love again after such a painful experience, and that's why I changed the last verse.

I think the rhyme scheme is better now as well.  I wish I knew how to play better and actually sing to these words more merit, but I will try to do it a little justice sometime soon.
Thanks for all the comments and perspectives - I appreciate it.
Cheers to you all !
Jim