Topic: walking bass lines for beginners?

hi every one,

recently a saw a video where they show how to play a walking bass line for the chords G, EM and C, its pretty cool and y wanne learn that, but obviously i only know those 3 lines,...

how can i make a walking bass line for other chords,...  i think it has to do with theory and scales or something like that but al i know for now is practice no theory so it would be great "if" its posible, to simplify smile (this go´s for the experts) the explainings or tips if you have one to help me.

thanks en advance
trippy

Re: walking bass lines for beginners?

Something I may actually be able to help with!  I'm a bass player learning guitar, so putting together bass lines comes naturally to me. 

What I do, I'm not saying it's the right way or the only way, but what I do is always make sure on 1 to be on the root note and on 3 to either be on the root or the fifth of the chord.  In G, that means the first beat of the measure (in 4/4 time, which most rock, country, and pop songs are) you will start with a G.  On the third beat of the measure (same assumption) you'll either be playing a G or a D. 

Given that you know where you are with a G or a D, then all you have to do to make the bass line "walk" is to play some fill notes (also called passing notes) between the two notes.

So let's say you're playing in a chord progression that goes G to C to G to D, which is a real common one. 

The notes in the G chord are G, B, D (1, 3, 5).  The notes in the C chord are C, E, G.  The notes in the D chord are D, F#, A. 

If you're on a G and walking to C, you can use any common notes in scale and concentrate on common notes in the chord.  So in a bass line, I may go from G (root note on first beat - hold it a little extra or hit it a couple of times) to A (second beat continue shuffle rhythm from first beat) to D (third beat - note it's the fifth of the G chord so hit it hard) to C# (passing note) to C (First beat of next measure).  That'll be a little pop music going up to D to come down to C and will give you some tension on C# because it's not in C's or G's chord.  But you just play it for a moment passing between D and C.  Then walking back down from C to G, I'd go from C to B to A to G.  Then G to B to C to D.  I'm talking notes here, not chords.  The G note, not the G chord.  Just keep "walking" the scale, mix up your rhythm with a bit of a shuffle, and be sure to be on the root on the first beat (1) and the root or the fifth on the third beat (3).  The notes between are just in a flurry of notes and if you mess up call it tension and say it was jazz.  Bass players call this "playing in the box" and is an extremely popular technique in country, blues, folk, and rock.  Folk songs use a lot of sevenths in their walking lines.  Blues uses a lot of flatted thirds and flatted sevenths in their walking lines. 

I hope that served to help and not to confuse. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

that sound really hard for me, i guess i´ll have to learn scale after all and get back to it then, the walking bass line i heard where triplets and sound real nice, so for beginning with this, with witch scales do i begin and wich notes i learn first, becaus all those notes you mencioned, i have no idea where they are, and learning the whole fret board i one peace sounds to hard for me, but i would be able to spent 10 minuts a day to a scale and its notes...

so please point me the right way to start smile

thanks a lot

--------------------------------------------------
-------------5-----------------------------------
-------5-----------4----3------2------0--------
-3--------------------------------------------- 3

g       d     g  csharp  c        b       a        g

not quite sure if this is exactly how the guy above wrote it, but here is G D G Csharp C

I don't know scales either.  Something I've got to learn.  You do need to learn CHORDS though.  If you can play arpeggios through chords, you can learn to walk a bass line.

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

now chords are something i can say i "do" know (pfff glad i know something wink) not all chords of course, but still a few of them, most of the open chords, and can play arpeggios on them also ( i´m so proud of my self),  so where do i start from here, do i learn the name of notes? and there situacion?

7 (edited by Zurf 2007-09-09 02:31:20)

Learn how they relate to one another on the keyboard.  For instance, on the bass strings of a guitar if you are playing the G chord, the fifth of G is D, it is always on the next higher string two frets further up the neck.  No matter what root note you have, the next higher string two frets up will be the fifth (assuming the three bass strings, the B string throws that off but is not adjacent to any of the three bass strings).  The fourth will always be one string higher on the same fret.  The third will always be one string higher and one fret lower (closer to the headstock) on the fretboard.  The seventh will be two strings higher (excepting the B string again) one fret lower (closer to the body).  Two strings higher and two frets lower will be an octave higher of the root note.  Learn those positions in relation to one another, and you're well on your way to a walking bass line. 

It sounds complicated, but is simple in practice.  Root, third, fourth, fifth, seventh, root.  Do that a few times on your guitar.  It'll feel good and easy and sound right.  Be able to play those from any root (it's always the same pattern until you get to that danged fifth string B).  Once you have the pattern of relationship down, if you can walk in G, you can walk in D, or in C, or in A#.  You want to make it bluesy? Then flat the third and seventh and you're playing a blues bass line. 

Passing notes are just notes you rest on for only a moment as you pass between the root, third, fourth, fifth, seventh, or octave root.  Play anything passing.  Seconds sound real good.  That's the root note, the note two frets closer to the body on the same string, then jump to the fourth (one string higher same fret as the root), then jump to and hang on the fifth to be sure to be on it on the third beat.  The second makes a good passing note, but you can play anything in them.  They're just a flurry of notes.  When you emphasize a note, have it be one of the main ones.  On the first and third beat downstrokes, be on one for the first and one or five for the third.  Do it enough and soon you'll be going out and buying a Fender P-Bass and playing Howlin' Wolf records all day. 

- Zurf

Zurf has it exactly right.  Learning the interval relationships on your fretboard is a key skill for anyone play bass.  I play bass in my band, and I practice that a lot.   It makes walking a whole lot easier.

But it all comes back to scales.  They are at the foundation of everything you'll do as a musician.  Scales.  Then some scales.  Then some more scales.  And when you're done, practice your scales.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

OK i think i understand that, (i think i´m beginning to hate scales even without starting) but sincerely, is this within my possebility?

i´m playing for 7 months now, and i can play, lets say something like "american pie" with a simple strum and a reasonble speed, but thats kind of all i can do, i mean, only open chords, strumming and singing, no hammer ons, or pull ofs, nothing like that.
is there a time to start with this, do i wait or just throw my self in there and tray untill it comes?, the same is with the hammer ons and so on...

is there a rule to start with these things, like learn this before you start with this other thing or just keep traying what ever you want to do?

i think i´m confusing myself smile.....

thanks to you all for you´re pacience

Yes, it's within your possibility.   Scales are, in reality, bone dead simple. 

The problem with them arises when people denigrate them as "unnecessary" when what they really mean is "I never hear rock stars play them."   These are people that want to "play songs" rather than "play the guitar."   If you want to play other peoples songs, they're not critical.  If you want to play solo and lead lines of your own, and improvise, they are critical.

I always advise people to practice scales and chord transitions before ever attempting to play songs.   The time to start practicing them is right now.

You shouldn't hate scales.   You should spend at least 15 minutes every day running scales, and they should be a regular part of your practice routine.  When you see the improvement in your playing as a result of knowing them, you'll love them, as their value will be evident, and undeniable.

i know that there´s a lot of scales, and there´s a lot of people that say :start with this minor scale, or with a g mayor scale....
they all say different,  witch should be the one to start with? and witch one would go after that one?

I'd start by adjusting my expectations.  smile   There are a whole lot of scales, but that doesn't mean there's a whole lot to learn.   

There are 12 major scales, for example.  You can play all of them using one pattern (assuming a 14 fret guitar).  There are 12 natural minor scales.  Likewise, you can play all of them using one pattern.  So, assuming you learn just those two patterns, you can now play 24 different scales.

So where should you start?  Take two tracks:  The practical, and the theoretical.   The practical side should be stuff that you can use to play *right now.*  Those would be the minor and major pentatonic patterns.    There are five of each, but just like the major and minor scales, you can play them with one pattern.   You can use pentatonic scales to solo in just about every kind of music you can name, from baroque to zydeco.   There are five minor pentatonic patterns, and five major pentatonic patterns.   Your next practice goal should be to learn one of each.

The theoretical side should be focused on improving your knowledge.  What makes a major scale a major scale?   What is the relationship of the minor scales to the majors?  These kinds of things won't have immediate practical application to the fretboard, but they will pay huge dividends down the road.

Get a practice book.  Use it.  Maybe go over it with an instructor to get you started.

- Zurf

14 (edited by trippy 2007-09-10 00:36:20)

Wow! thats a lot of information in one day, i´m a bit confusd, is it a pentatonic scale or it´s the pattern that is pentatonic?

i just found this:

E|-----------------------------------------5--7--8|

B|---------------------------------5--6--8--------|

G|-------------------------4--5--7----------------|

D|-------------------5--7-------------------------|

A|----------5--7--8-------------------------------|

E|-5--7--8----------------------------------------|

The notes of the A minor guitar scale are A, B, C, D, E, F, G, and then the scale repeats at the A again.

if i understud right, this would be the pattern for a minor scale? every minor scale? and if i understud right what this guy said this pattern would end with a C note?

Here is an easy walking bass line that I use when playing 12 bar blues

e-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
G-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
D--------------------------------------------------2-2-----2-2-5-4------2-2------2-2-5-4-----
A--2-2------2-2-5-4------2-2------2-2-5-4-----0-0-3-4-0-0-0-0--- --0-0-3-4-0-0-0-0-----
E--0-0-3-4-0-0-0-0------0-0-3-4-0-0-0-0-----------------------------------------------------

REPEAT AS NEEDED

trippy wrote:

Wow! thats a lot of information in one day, i´m a bit confusd, is it a pentatonic scale or it´s the pattern that is pentatonic?

i just found this:

E|-----------------------------------------5--7--8|

B|---------------------------------5--6--8--------|

G|-------------------------4--5--7----------------|

A|----------5--7--8-------------------------------|

E|-5--7--8----------------------------------------|

The notes of the A minor guitar scale are A, B, C, D, E, F, G, and then the scale repeats at the A again.

if i understud right, this would be the pattern for a minor scale? every minor scale? and if i understud right what this guy said this pattern would end with a C note?

The scale you have tabbed there is the full A minor scale.   If you move that whole pattern down two frets, you'll be playing B minor.

E|  7---9--10, etc.

That scale actually ends on a G.  The 5th fret of the D string, and begins again on the 7th fret of the D string.  You will note that there are 7 notes in the scale.  A pentatonic scale has five notes, and for minors, it removes the half steps, so the tablature for A minor pentatonic is.

E|-----------------------------------------5---8|

B|---------------------------------5----8--------|

G|---------------------------5--7----------------|

A|----------5---7-------------------------------|

E|-5---8----------------------------------------|

That pattern is one you should learn.  It's one of the five pentatonic patterns.   This one is popular because it is easy to play.  You start with the root on your index finger or on your ring finger, and each finger has it's own fret.  No hand movement is necessary.

It is the scale is pentatonic because it has five notes (PENTA = 5:  Pentagram, pentagon, etc).   

So here is your homework assignment.   Take this pattern, and play a C# minor pentatonic scale.  Then tab it out.

17 (edited by trippy 2007-09-10 15:50:33)

ok, i´m gonna start today right away, but there is still one thing thats not so clear, and i would´nt want to learn it wrong.

so that is a pentatonic pattern for every minor scale, this one is de AM scale, and what "i" have to do is search for the C scale, if i got it right, i search for the C note on the low E string and play the same pattern to get de C scale...

is that right?
i hope its right wink

ok, i got it, i´ve printed out the notes and the pattern so i can start with the minor pentatonic scale, now i should need the major pentatonic pattern.... i search for it but what i found i really confusing

again i wanna say thanks for all the help and attencion, you are great!

trippy wrote:

ok, i´m gonna start today right away, but there is still one thing thats not so clear, and i would´nt want to learn it wrong.

so that is a pentatonic pattern for every minor scale, this one is de AM scale, and what "i" have to do is search for the C scale, if i got it right, i search for the C note on the low E string and play the same pattern to get de C scale...

is that right?
i hope its right wink

That's right.  You're going to put your index finger on the scale root on the E string, and it's going to move straight across the fretboard to the little e string.    That pattern will produce a minor pentatonic every time.

i just did 15 minutes of the A scale, its not so hard, tomorrow i´m gonna start with learning the  notes, this is the diagram of the notes i found to make the scales,

Fret         1     2     3     4     5     6     7     8     9    10    11    12

Keytone e |--F--|--F#-|--G--|--G#-|--A--|--A#-|--B--|--C--|--C#-|--D--|--D#-|--E--|

B |-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|

G |-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|

D |-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|

A |-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|-----|

E |--F--|--F#-|--G--|--G#-|--A--|--A#-|--B--|--C--|--C#-|--D--|--D#-|--E--|

i think its quit basic, is there someting you wanna add on the diagram? oh, by the way a´m still looking for the major patatonic scale ....

That's it.

If you run down the neck one fret at a time, that is reffered to as a "chromatic" scale, and the interval between each fret is a "half step" (also "half tone" or "semi tone").  A "whole step" is a two fret step.

A major scale is defined by the intervals between notes.

Root.  Whole step.  Whole step.  Half step.  Whole step.  Whole step.  Whole step.  Another half step brings you to the root again.

That is really "the pattern."  Start on any note, and follow that pattern, and you have produced a major scale.

Get the minor nailed down.  Then I'll show you the practical secret to major pentatonics, along with the theory behind it.  It's simple enough that you'll laugh when you get it.

OK, I've been lurking, Jerome and I have the minor nailed down.  I'm drooling while waiting on the "secret" to major scales.

jerome.oneil wrote:

That's it.

If you run down the neck one fret at a time, that is reffered to as a "chromatic" scale, and the interval between each fret is a "half step" (also "half tone" or "semi tone").  A "whole step" is a two fret step.

A major scale is defined by the intervals between notes.

Root.  Whole step.  Whole step.  Half step.  Whole step.  Whole step.  Whole step.  Another half step brings you to the root again.

That is really "the pattern."  Start on any note, and follow that pattern, and you have produced a major scale.

Get the minor nailed down.  Then I'll show you the practical secret to major pentatonics, along with the theory behind it.  It's simple enough that you'll laugh when you get it.

Please talk slowly I don't hear good any more.

livebaitman wrote:

OK, I've been lurking, Jerome and I have the minor nailed down.  I'm drooling while waiting on the "secret" to major scales.

jerome.oneil wrote:

OK.  Are you ready? 

Here's the practical.

Play the 1st two notes of the minor pentatonic.  Then stop.    If you started on A minor, for example, you would be at C.

Now here's the "secret."  Start from there, but continue to play the minor pentatonic pattern you started with.

Presto!   Major pentatonic.

Here's the "why" portion.

Each minor scale is associated with a major scale.  If you play a major scale starting at it's sixth note, you will be playing it's "relative minor."  So for the key of C, for example, the sixth note of that scale is A.  Play C major starting at A and you're playing A minor.   This is one of the reasons why knowing major scales is so important.

So anyway, the difference between the sixth (VI) and the root (I) of a major scale is one and a half semi-tones, or three frets.  So if you are playing a minor scale, and you want to start playing it's relative major scale, simply slide down (towards the bridge) three frets from the minor's root.   Likewise, if you are playing a major scale, and want to know what it's relative minor is, simply slide up (towards the nut) three frets.

Piece of cake.

23 (edited by trippy 2007-09-10 22:27:04)

now thats a big cake for me, i will stik with the minor for a while and later come back for that piece of cake, i want to thank all of you in special Jerome for all the pacience and help i´ve recived, i´ve read a lot about " you have to learn scales becous..." but you got me really going, i think i´m gonna make a plan of studie to follow, 15 minutes scales, 15 hammer ons....  this has been really very helpfull to me

so thanks for being so great!

a warm greet out spain

trippy

Thanks, Jerome.  I think I get it, but I'll have to test it first on my guitar and make sure.  I will let you know.  If it's really as easy as it sounds, I owe you a beer (or whatever you drink.)

David

Please talk slowly I don't hear good any more.

jerome.oneil wrote:
livebaitman wrote:

jerome.oneil wrote:

OK.  Are you ready? 

Here's the practical.

Play the 1st two notes of the minor pentatonic.  Then stop.    If you started on A minor, for example, you would be at C.

Now here's the "secret."  Start from there, but continue to play the minor pentatonic pattern you started with.

Presto!   Major pentatonic.

Here's the "why" portion.

Each minor scale is associated with a major scale.  If you play a major scale starting at it's sixth note, you will be playing it's "relative minor."  So for the key of C, for example, the sixth note of that scale is A.  Play C major starting at A and you're playing A minor.   This is one of the reasons why knowing major scales is so important.

So anyway, the difference between the sixth (VI) and the root (I) of a major scale is one and a half semi-tones, or three frets.  So if you are playing a minor scale, and you want to start playing it's relative major scale, simply slide down (towards the bridge) three frets from the minor's root.   Likewise, if you are playing a major scale, and want to know what it's relative minor is, simply slide up (towards the nut) three frets.

Piece of cake.

This is gold. I learned major & pentatonic scales but was waiting on the minors because I didn't want to mix up all the different patterns. Thank you Jerome, you're a music theory wiz!:D