1 (edited by TIGLJK 2021-03-25 10:49:54)

Topic: Song: Believing In Better Days

Thinking of the many issues people have been dealing with and the last line of the chorus popped in my head. One thing led to another and this was the result.

Believing In Better Days by Jim Kenyon

Verse 1

[A]Plenty of troubles in [dbm]this old world, seems we [D] face them every [A]day

[A]they’re not always [dbm]easy to face, when it looks [D] like they’re here to [A]stay

[A] There’s times you[dbm] feel forgotten, and [D]times that you can’t go [A]on

[A] heartache and troubles are [dbm]on your mind, and it [D] seems all hope is [A]gone

Chorus

Well [D]all you need is to find yourself

Just a [A]little peace of mind

and [E]put away all your troubles

and [D]leave them all be[A]hind

Don’t’ [D] worry ‘bout what you can’t control

Sometimes [A] we all lose our way

[E] be strong, have courage, never give up

and [D]keep on believing in better [A]days

Verse 2

[A]Life’s not perfect, it [dbm] can be cruel, makes [D] you think you’ve had e[A]nough

[A]when things go wrong, [dbm]like they usually do, [D]this world can be [A]rough

[A]when there's no one to [dbm] lean upon, and you [D]can't find no friend [A]around

[A] just call on me, and [dbm] I’ll be there, ya' know [D] I'll never let you [A] down

Chorus

Well [D]all you need is to find yourself

Just a [A]little peace of mind

and [E]put away all your troubles

and [D]leave them all be[A]hind

Don’t’ [D] worry ‘bout what you can’t control

Sometimes [A] we all lose our way

and [D]keep believing in better [A]days

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Re: Song: Believing In Better Days

Another  great  song  Jim , Have  you  tried   a  C  instead   of  the  Dbm    It  transitions  a  bit  smoother  in my  head    . Are  you  strumming  or  picking    the  chords ?     

Lol

C probably is the correct one , the dim was easier for me.  I was picking the verse and strumming the chorus
But I am not a good player so i just write them as I can
Thanks for the kindness     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Just  had   a  pick  at  it  and  the   Dbm   open chord  sounds   good .I was  thinking  in bar  chords  before   , should  have  picked up  my  guitar  before  I  opened my  mouth  lol     

Lol.......I tried playing it and found I kept going to a Bm instead of the Bbm, and also changing the 6th line of the chorus to "We sometimes lose our way" and substituting "don't" instead of "never" in line 7 to reduce the number of syllables so I could sing it easier in my finger-picked rendition. I hope you record the song so I can hear how you intended for it to sound.

Well written and thoughtful song Jim.     

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

I just played the version of the song I have in my head again three times - once using Dbm as written, once using C as Graham had suggested and once using Bm. Each added a slightly different "flavor" to the song. It's a lesson-learned for me about how much just changing one chord in a progression can affect the "mood". Now I'm curious about how much the "mood" is changed  between strumming and finger-picking it.

What I really need is to hear how you intended it to sound Jim. smile

Ken     

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

7 (edited by TIGLJK 2021-03-24 10:36:39)

Thanks Graham and Ed for the comments

I switched the Dbm chord to a CM7 chord using the 5th string 3rd fret and 4th string 2nd fret (basically a C major without the A string 1st fret finger).
Trying to reduce a few of the lyrics so it fits better.
It sounds good to me and is easy for me to play smile
Maybe today or tomorrow I will give it a try - It's been a while since I've hurt all your ears  smile   wink

Jim

You've put that together well my friend. The words strike a chord and are on the pulse of what's going on in the world.     

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

LOL  foolish me -  went back to the dbm chord -
easier was not better
I'm working on recording it- wish I some musical ability smile
it would be a lot easier
I apologize for all the re-writes and edits.

Jim     

Jim. I had to look up the open Dbm, and realized it can also be known as Amajor 7 which means you can play the open A string and having played it through a couple of times I revised your chord sequence from A- Dbm/Amaj7- D-A, to; A-Amj7-D-F#m | A-Amaj7-D-G. etc It breaks up the sequence and makes it a little more interesting? Hope you don't mind me sticking my nose in?

Jimand your chorus

[D] Well all you need is to [Dmj7] find yourself

Just a [D7] little peace of [G] mind.

and put [Gm] away your [D] troubles.

and [E] leave them all [A] behind.

don't [D] worry `bout what [Dmj7] you cant control

some-[D7]-times we all lose our [G] way.

be [Gm] strong. have [D] courage. never give [E] up

and keep [A] believing in better days.

be [D] strong. have [Dmj7] courage. never give [D7] up

and keep believing in [G] better days.

be [Gm] strong. have [D] courage. never give [E] up.

and keep believing in [A] better days.

I've put your Dbm as Amj7  same chord, same position but you can play the open A string as your bass note     

Well finally someone who knows music! Thanks Phill     

12 (edited by Phill Williams 2021-03-26 11:02:56)

Jim thanks for the compliment but I think you're being a little harsh on Grah and Dirty Ed who are talented and highly respected musicians in their own right. I know it wasn't your intention to belittle them and they probably won't speak up for themselves. I think because we've worked on many songs together that I feel I can go off on a tangent with your approval and I must say this one was a complete 45° spin set off by your use of the A Major 7th chord. I must say you are fearless in your thinking our of your comfort zone. Keep it up my friend and if I get the chance I'll do a demo so you can get an idea of my thinking

certainly meant no disrespect to anyone - I was referring to my own inability to know much about music.

I appreciate everything you all do to help me write music that makes sense.

Cheers to everyone.
Jim     

Jim to me you are the inventor and I, and many others are the people that create the mechanics to make it work. So don't belittle yourself either, you are a genius in what you do