1 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2021-07-30 13:18:30)

Topic: Song Assignment?

I'll let y'all decide - you guys are so much better at it than I am.

I need a song about GOALS. It should be easy to play (A_E_G_D ) and I need it by the week of 10.16.21.

Now, I know you don't OWE me this, as long as I've been gone, but I've committed to doing the "Walk To End Alzheimer's" on that day, an the way things are going for me, I'm not having much luck remembering stuff these days. This morning - for the first time in a long time - my fingers paused over the keyboard because I couldn't remember the name of this place.

Finally it hit me.

I still maintain my blog - although I call it a "journal" now - and y'all are welcome to visit and read. It's still humorous, because every now and then I can still do "funny".

Whatever y'all can come up with would be appreciated but may I make a suggestion? In addition to making the song about goals, pass it around amongst yourselves and add/subtract/delete - whatever. I'd like to give as many of you credit as I can.

I know at least 3 of you who can write songs at the drop of a hat, so if you can help me out, I'd appreciate it.

Love You!

Bill 

Blog address: www.wheretobud.blogspot.com

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Re: Song Assignment?

Hi Bill your a champion. I have enjoyed reading your journal. I'm not up to much on the songwriting front as I haven't been that well.  Not sure how to work with your chords but I will drop a lyric suggestion  here that one of our clever people on here might want to use toward your song.

Today and everyday I will keep on pushing.

No matter what.

No matter what .

No matter what anyone says.

No Goliath can hold me back.

I set my goal.

I’m on a roll.

3 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2021-07-31 13:59:56)

Pete, I LOVE it. Thanks for taking the time, and here's hoping you feel well again soon, dear friend!

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

I don't know what the goal may be in this, But if it helps in any way I'll be overjoyed.

for BillUndefined

[A] If I'm sitting on a boat and fishing

I may [D] forget which way to bait my hook

If I'm [A] sitting in the car and driving

I may [E] forget which way I'm meant to look

But [F#m] you know that will never [E] happen

I'm [D] still the guy I was most [A] times

[D] Remember when you think I'm [E] crazy

Your [D] turn may come [E] around some [A] time.

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Phill,

Awesome, my friend. Just the right amount of humor without being overbearing. Thanks, my friend! So glad to hear back from you and please give our love to your Ann!

Bill and Dondra Craig     

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Bill

I am thrilled to have you back on chordie. I did not answer the other message b/c I do  not use facebook at all.
Here is my futile attempt at a song,still unfinished..... I will update - others can give input as well.
I have no chords yet b/c it is just in my head and haven't touched the guitar with it.
I think the title would be  " I ain't nearly done" .

Let me know what you think of it so far.

Jim

The future reaches out, while the past retrieves
Our memories are just tangled webs we weave
The mind plays games, and seems it sure loves to deceive
might not be true, but it’s what I’ve come to believe

time is so elusive, it always finds somehow to slip away
like a rainbow disappearing on a rainy summer’s day
nothing lasts forever, but I hope we’ll meet again someday
and let the love we’ve shared take us home , but who can say

chorus
the best of me may be hidden, but it’s far from gone
but it sure does get harder as every  year now adds on
know that inside my mind there’s still something good going on
please see the sparkle in my eyes, and know, I ain’t nearly done

JIm     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Hey Bill,
Here's my offering for you. In my mind, it sounds kind of Tom Petty-like, but feel free to use whatever style you wish.
All the best,
Jeff G/jets60

The Goal (For Strummerboy Bill) by jets60

~

Intro Strumming A D E x 2

~

[A]Where to [D]start [E]

The be[A]gin seems [D]right [E]

[A]Keep on [D]going [E]

Straight [A]through the [D]night [E]

~

[A]Never give [D]up [E]

When the [A]going’s [D]tough [E]

[A]Never stop [D]going [E]

When the [A]road gets [D]rough [E]

~

[G]See that goal [D]

On [A]through to the end [A]

A[G]long the road [D]

[A]Picking up friends [E]

~

Who [A]help you [D]keep [E]

Your [A]goal in [D]sight [E]

In the [A]light of [D]day [E]

Or [A]dark of the [D]night [E]

~

[A]Some day [D]when [E]

The [A]end gets [D]near [E]

That [A]windy [D]road [E]

On [A]which you [D]steer [E]

~

[G]Eventually [D]

Will [A]cleanse your soul [A]

The [G]day will come [D]

When you [A]reach your goal [E] [A]

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Jets, that's great! I like the fact that it's "TomPetty--Like". Means I can sing it or "talk it" a little of each one.

Thank You!

And thank all of you for contributing your music to "The Walk To End Alzheimer's". There will be a little ceremony at 9 am on 10.16.2021, and I'll try my best to give it the performance it deserves.

Bill     

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

9 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2021-08-01 13:29:09)

After scrolling up, I found YOUR version, TIG, but before I comment, let me first apologize to you for being so slack in answering your e-cards/e-mail. It wasn't that I didn't want to, I just did not know what to say! It meant so much to me then, as it does now, but I just couldn't find the words. I just sat here in the dark thinking it's all just a matter of time anyway, so why bother.

I was wrong to think that, so I hope you and all of you will accept my apology. I'm getting back to my old self - slowly - now that I have a goal, and now that I have not lost any of YOU.

I only just saw your song, so let me look at it thoroughly again - it looks awesome!

Thank you, Jim!     

EDITED TO ADD: Your song made my eyes sting, Brother. If you think it's okay, what I'd like to do is put some soft guitar chords behind it and recite it. As you know, I'm not good at adding chords, I know how I'd like it to go, but can't seem to make the music match the words.

Wow! You guys work well under pressure, don'tcha? I'm floored! Peatle, Phill, Jets/Jeff and Jim. Thank you ALL so much!

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Hi Bill I will send you this song I recorded on my cellphone for you.  I'm sorry about for the sound  quality not being the greatest. Maybe just as well with my bad guitar playing and singing. I wont ask you to sing it because I think it is not as good as the other ones written by the chordies above.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pkqXdic200     

Bill
i thought i`d have a crack at one of these songs,tried Jets song but wasnt happy with
what i did with it.Then i did Peatles that turned out better.i`d send you it but havent got your
email address.
thanks for breathing life back into chordie,its been on life support for a some time.     

The King Of Audio Torture

Hey easybeat

Thanks very much for your song and for building onto Peatle's version. Don't you guys get together for a brew every now and then? Maybe y'all can get together and make a duo (or trio - if Maree is willing) out of it.

Thanks again!

PS: Not sure about the breath of life. I have always felt it came from you all! smile     

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

13 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2021-08-02 17:13:05)

Pete,

Thanks so much for adding to the tune! Is that your lady wife Maree singing back up? Please see my note to Brian above. Would such a thing be possible?

Thanks!

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Bill
Pete and me playing together would ruin a good relationship.
although a good name for us would be ``two times terrible``     

The King Of Audio Torture

15 (edited by Peatle Jville 2021-08-02 21:13:34)

Cheers Bill
My singing and playing are not that good so I just stick to making the odd very rough demos of my musical ideas all just recorded on my cellphone or laptop. The mic on both is not that good.. I was given a looper to try so that was is what I used to give a sort of backing vocal. I couldn't get the  feel of using it but I thought  I gave it a practice run on there. It came out a bit messy but I thought I would let it go as it showed the intended vocal arrangement  of the song. Maree gave up music years ago  she is a trained classical pianist and doesn't really like my musical  attempts. There is a group of us who meet up on many a Sunday late afternoon for  couple of hours at a bar and Brian is one of them. Brian and I have different styles of music that don't really flow together well but he does a good cover of my songs. I have covered some of his songs also unfortunately my poor musical ability doesn't do his songs much justice.
Love to you and Dondra , Bill your a  legend.
Pete

Pete

I am a poor excuse for a legend, my friend. If I have any notoriety at all it's for the amount of bad luck I have ("If it weren't for bad luck....").

Say what you will about your musical efforts, I find them refreshing - especially when you do your "angry blues" style. I don't believe I have ever heard them done quite that way.

As far as you and Brian - okay - I'll leave it up to you both, but it seems a shame that you live so close together and can't belt out a tune written so well by both of you.

Sorry - just my opinion>

Love you, Pete, Maree and Brian!     

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

17 (edited by Phill Williams 2021-08-03 19:55:37)

Hey Bill, I think this idea of yours is inspired. But this message is for Pete.
Pedr
1. Your writing style is unconventional...a good thing.
2. Your means of delivering your message is unconventional...another good thing.
3. Why do you rubbish your voice, this song proves you can sing, hold the pitch and reach the high notes.
4. If I have a criticism it would be to get a set of head phones and download a free DAW from the infernal net, you'll also need some kind of interface, there are many cheap ones out there, then you can record in good quality and multi track as much as you like. I'LL HELP YOU AS MUCH AS i CAN, NICE VID BY THE WAY

Its not about goals but I think you'll enjoy this song I found on youtube a few years back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Yn6sik-fkc     

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

19 (edited by Peatle Jville 2021-08-04 07:47:30)

Phill Williams wrote:

Hey Bill, I think this idea of yours is inspired. But this message is for Pete.
Pedr
1. Your writing style is unconventional...a good thing.
2. Your means of delivering your message is unconventional...another good thing.
3. Why do you rubbish your voice, this song proves you can sing, hold the pitch and reach the high notes.
4. If I have a criticism it would be to get a set of head phones and download a free DAW from the infernal net, you'll also need some kind of interface, there are many cheap ones out there, then you can record in good quality and multi track as much as you like. I'LL HELP YOU AS MUCH AS i CAN, NICE VID BY THE WAY

Thank you Piri for your vote of confidence.  I try to make my approach to music and lyrics original and not conventional . Tech and the interweb always get me confused people show me how to do things on the computer and next thing I know I have forgotten what they have shown me. I must find out what an interface and a DAW is. I brought a recording mike and a recording multi track studio download earlier this year when it proved to hard for me to use so I took it back as the guy in the shop said to me if it proves to hard they would refund me. 
Thank you again your a wonderful musical mentor.

Sorry Pedr, a DAW is a recording studio for computers.i used to have a really simple one to use but that was for Windows xp...yeah that long ago! The interface is usually a box with a couple of knobs on and sockets for your mic and/or guitar. These days they plug directly into your computers usb port. But be careful as they do tend to take up a lot of memory. I have at least 3 DAWs and I can't work any of them with any good effect. Bring back tape recorders!     

What's with the names? smile     

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

22 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2021-08-04 13:24:46)

Dirty Ed wrote:

Its not about goals but I think you'll enjoy this song I found on youtube a few years back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Yn6sik-fkc

Ed

Thank you! That was hilarious, and it had me in almost every line (except for the Rogaine). I plan to use it on an upcoming installment of my journal!

Thanks again!

Bill     

PS: I've got the words, but can anyone figure out the chords? "D" is in there, I believe, but it's hard for me to figure the others, because my singing is so bad.

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Bill, sorry for the confusion. Pete and I are in regular correspondence and we find we are in agreement on many if not all topics we discuss. One of which is indigenous languages, eg; in Wales many locals and emigrants, English, Polish etc will speak or learn to speak Welsh. In New Zealand there are many dialects and languages we call them Pacifican languages inc Maori, Samoan and Fijian. Now my name Phill is Piri in Maori, I believe and Peter is Pedr in Welsh, we  must find out what "Bill" is in our languages I know it's Wilhelm ( hope I spelt that right?) in German.     

Bill your name in the local NZ indigenous language is Wiremu .     

25 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2021-08-05 00:58:59)

Just like it sounds, Pete? "Wire-Moo"?

Let's just let me be Bill or Opie. Wiremu sounds too much like a cow that's hurt herself going over a fence! smile

You guys go ahead, though. smile

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass