Topic: Everything, Everything

I wrote this recently in a song challenge, but I updated to chords I am more comfortable with. I think this falls in line with Bill's Goals theme, but more about just handling life/goal obstacles that we all have to face. I hope you all enjoy it.

Everything, Everything By Jeff Gilpin

7/26/2021

~

Intro

Am Dm F Dm x 2

~

[Am]Life can let you down,

Leave you [Dm]shaken to the core.

Feel just [F]whipped, on the ground,

[Dm]Everything, everything.

~

Then [Am]something’ll get you laughing.

Could be [Dm]anything at all.

[F]Can’t explain the reason

Of [Dm]everything, just everything.

~

Chorus 1

[Am]Life is just what life is.

It’ll [Dm]hurt you if you let it,

But [F]life can’t keep you down,

[Dm]Make you regret it unless you [Am]do. [Dm] [F] [Dm]

~

[Am]Life comes at you whirring,

Takes down the [Dm]tallest of the tall.

Throwing [F]obstacles, hurling

[Dm]Everything, just everything.

~

[Am]Dodging, try to counter

Slip [Dm]sliding right along

With [F]olive oil, syrup laughter

At [Dm]everything, just everything.

~

Chorus 2

[Am]Life is like you cooking

Your [Dm]favorite recipe,

While you [F]challenge your apron

To try and [Dm]keep food off you, but it never [Am]does. [Dm] [F] [Dm] [Dm7] [Am7]

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

2 (edited by Strummerboy Bill 2021-08-06 18:25:13)

Re: Everything, Everything

Nice wording, Jeff and I like the turn-around, surprise ending.

I have a question for you and the others: Are we all of the school that teaches if a song is in a minor chord, it has to be sad? So I am wondering (if the answer is yes) can the song be changed into major chordage to make it sound more upbeat and funny? That is, if it were transposed, would it take away from the "meaning" of the tune?

If you're thinking "He wants this to be more upbeat-sounding", I guess you're right, Jeff. Not meant to be a criticism just a suggestion.

Of course, I also like Python's "Baggage Retrieval System At Heathrow", so what do I know? smile

Your friend,

Bill

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

Strummerboy Bill wrote:

Nice wording, Jeff and I like the turn-around, surprise ending.

I have a question for you and the others: Are we all of the school that teaches if a song is in a minor chord, it has to be sad? So I am wondering (if the answer is yes) can the song be changed into major chordage to make it sound more upbeat and funny? That is, if it were transposed, would it take away from the "meaning" of the tune?

If you're thinking "He wants this to be more upbeat-sounding", I guess you're right, Jeff. Not meant to be a criticism just a suggestion.

Of course, I also like Python's "Baggage Retrieval System At Heathrow", so what do I know? smile

Your friend,

Bill

Hey Bill - For this song, it was part of a writing challenge. Although I've changed the chords a bit, they're still mostly minor chords, which were part of the challenge, but there was no direction to the writing other than words that needed to be included. I've written with minor chords in positive songs and major chords in sad songs so I think it really depends on that song at that time. With all that, I have no problem with you changing the minor chords to majors if you prefer for your arrangement. Go for it! smile     

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Jeff that is clever how you put this song together. Brilliant  how you use food and cooking in your lyrics. Definitely a Gold medal song your entry here in  Bill's songwriting  goal. challenge.     

I've been waiting for the recording! I've tried to play it in your style but I still can't get the feel of it, if your cooking my eggs over easy please.     

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Jeff

Ditto what Phill said..... I'd like some home fries with the eggs however.

Clever song !

Jim     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Hey All,

Thanks - I'll try and get it up on my SoundCloud site later today. Once you hear it I think you'll get it.

V/R,

Jeff G     

J  E  T  S

Jeff

Sorry! I guess my post did come across as criticism even though that isn't what I intended. It was why I asked the question about sad songs always being played in minor keys. I too await your SoundCloud debut of your tune. I think I'll get it this time. smile

Thanks

Bill

PS: If I sounded ungrateful, that was also not my intention, my friend. Sorry!     

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

Strummerboy Bill wrote:

Jeff

Sorry! I guess my post did come across as criticism even though that isn't what I intended. It was why I asked the question about sad songs always being played in minor keys. I too await your SoundCloud debut of your tune. I think I'll get it this time. smile

Thanks

Bill

PS: If I sounded ungrateful, that was also not my intention, my friend. Sorry!

Hey Bill,

I didn't take your comment as criticism and you had a good discussion point. The choice of chords that are used can most definitely impact how the song comes across. We're all good my friend. I didn't get to it this evening but I will try and knock it out before the weekend is over.

V/R,

Jeff     

J  E  T  S

Scratch recording up now if you want to hear how it goes: https://soundcloud.com/jets60/everything-everything     

J  E  T  S

I LIKE it! Thanks for the link, Jeff. I especially like the little "yodel" you put in your voice on the "do" words! I wouldn't trust myself that much, or ----- I sound like I'm yodelling ALL the time, take your pick. But really - I understand better now what you were saying in the tune> Thanks for staying after it for me. ----- Bill     

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Rogue Beatle Bass

My pleasure Bill. That yodel thing sounded right to me then. Might be different next time, although I think it fits.     

J  E  T  S