1 (edited by TIGLJK 2021-08-13 21:01:00)

Topic: Inspired by Mojo and Phil - Song called " Cryptic Trance"

Mojo  posted about having writers block for songwriting.  Phill, Brian (easybeat)  and I made a couple of quips
and I turned them into this.

Cryptic Trance by Jim Kenyon  (with Help )

[C]trying to think of something important to write

But I [G] only hear the fridge and two cats in a fight

oh I'm [Am]starin’ at blank paper as it nears midnight

and it [F]seems the notes just [G]don’t sound [C] right

[C] waiting for my pen and paper to dance

but they're[G] just victims of this circumstance

it's like [Am]my mind's held captive in a cryptic trance

and it [F]seems that a song [G]doesn't have a [C]chance

Chorus

[C]Yea, I been [F]searching for words that never came

ya know, [C]everybody's candle burn's a different flame

so when the [F] strings get dusty and sounds seem wrong

just [G]wait, be [F]cool, and something good will come a[C]long

[C]been 3 days now, but feels more like a year

seems the [G]only thing that’s flowing is ice cold beer

oh I'm [Am] waiting now for the words to appear

but my [F] imagination has [G]somehow disap[C]peared

Chorus

[C]Yea, I been [F]searching for words that never came

ya know, [C]everybody's candle burn's a different flame

so when the [F] strings get dusty and sounds seem wrong

just [G]wait, be [F]cool, and something good will come a[C]long

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Re: Inspired by Mojo and Phil - Song called " Cryptic Trance"

I like it Jim, you certainly don't have composers block. It's great the way you've incorporated a couple of hook lines. I tried playing it but the words outnumber the beats so I must be playing it wrong? Also the way I was playing it the chorus needed a couple more lines, I'll wait till I hear how you play it.     

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Great job, Jim!

Bill     

Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Fender GDO300 Orchestral - a gift from Amy & Jim
Rogue Beatle Bass
Journal: www.wheretobud.blogspot. com

that second line brought back some memories from way back. lol didnt fix my writers block but sent me back to about 1968ish. the cats and fridge totally unrelated but both are vivid memories from childhood. let me explain . first the cat fighting, the house i grew up in was pier and beam , one night having the sh#t scared out of a 8 year old as two tom cats scream and thump the floor under his bed as they fight it out. at the time i had no idea what it was other than some monsters from the under world coming to get me. that was a very long night only years later did i figure out what it actualy was but to this day i remember it like it was yesterday. ahh the fridge running, at 5 AM the only noise in the kitchen my dad drinking coffee at the kitchen table before we head out on a fishing trip. funny the things we remember. but i remember the sound of that fridge in the early morning hours

thanks jim for bringing that memory back i havnt thought about that  for a long time , and thats what makes a great song     

out of tune out of key and out of touch

5 (edited by TIGLJK 2021-08-10 17:28:44)

Mojo

I too have lots of memories where cats that were sounding like lions.
When I was typing my thesis for my masters on a typewriter  this old tomcat was at my door howling away
I shooed him away a few times, and finally instructed him that if  came out again he was going for a ride.

sure enough - he came back and was howlng - i put him in the trunk of my car and brought him to my buddy's farm.

He stayed there for about the next 5-8 years - seemed to love all the other cats there.

Glad you liked the song. I'm gonna do a rough recording just so the guys that can actually play and sing can get
an idea of how it is in my head.

I also put the line about the ice cold beer flowing in their bc I thought being a Texan such as yourself, that would help en the bloc!  smile

Take care

Jim

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Thank you Bill and Phill !     

7 (edited by TIGLJK 2021-08-12 12:00:24)

Hey fellas

I rewrote this song... made lyrical changes mainly. Changes are in this post - i edited it.
Mainly the second verse - I didn't like it the way it was.

If I get a chance I will try to record it tonight so I can torture your ears a bit  smile
Jim

I think I'd call this song "cryptic trance" as a main title or sub title, it has a great ring to it. The changes you've made certainly make it an easier flow. It's still early morning here so I'm not going to wake up the neighbours by howling like your cats. Have you thought they may not be fighting? As a country boy I learned quite early in life that cat " joyo" is always a noisy business! Expect kittens.     

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

9 (edited by Peatle Jville 2021-08-14 03:55:21)

Jim you have put together a song with lyrical brilliance. The title "Cryptic Trance" superb. a perfect name for a band.

Most definatly!  I had not had anythng tw write lately.  Then in a "fuzzy foggy" point at 1:30 AM, I ended up writing the one I posted today.     

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Fun song that I can relate to     

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C