Topic: Digital Interface

Focusright Scarlett 212

Audient ID4

PreSonus AudioBox iTWO

________

Which?

Function is to be a low-latency box to allow me to record multi-track backing tracks for practicing against.

I'll be using Reaper, so the integrated software doesn't mean much. 

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: Digital Interface

I love my focusrite. They have them for sale on SDOTD every now and again     

i've got a Scarlett i818 by Focusrite which i've used for about 6 years but i had to replace it as it has started distorting music. i looked into buying a new version but found they were a lot more expensive than the last one so i searched around and found a Steinberg UR22 mk2 which came with a Cubasis AI downloadable DAW which is quite complicated but it also works with any DAW and is considerably cheaper than Focusrite and the sound is very good with no noticeable latency.     

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Thanks BGD and Phill. 

Phill, six years from a piece of electronic kit when obsolescence is often measured in weeks sounds like a pretty good run to me. While I appreciate the recommendation of an alternate product, I think I've narrowed down to the three above. How did the Focusright work for you before it became an obsolete clunker?     

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

If you can, I'd say up the ante and go with the Audient ID14 instead of the ID4.. more ins, in case you want to record vocals (or another instrument) down the line.. but also because you get the Burr Brown audio converters..     

Zurf, it worked fine, 2 input jack's/cannon on the front and 4 input jack's on the back also 2 output jack's and a USB socket. It worked well with my Ableton DAW and as I bought it as a sound card also great sound from my PC. One down side, it needed a power supply and when I switched on there was a great thump even with the volume turned all the way off. Let me know if you need more info.     

LOL - you guys are so far above my pay grade - when I read posts like these they may as well be in Chinese. 
It must be cool as musicians to actually know what it all means! smile
Have fun with these toys boys !

I'm still trying to figure out the knobs on my amp ! smile

Jim     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Thanks Phillips.

TIGLJK - I'm just getting my feet wet. You could catch up to where I'm at with an hour well spent on YouTube.     

commit.copy wrote:

If you can, I'd say up the ante and go with the Audient ID14 instead of the ID4.. more ins, in case you want to record vocals (or another instrument) down the line.. but also because you get the Burr Brown audio converters..

Thanks. I thought about that, but I've had a PA and a USB mixer for quite some while for that just in case scenario and it hasn't manifested, so I think I'm going to take the risk and just meet the immediate need. I did give your suggestion some serious consideration, though.     

Been following this thread but keeping quiet.... I have the itwo but haven't played around enough with it over the couple years I've owned it to have a meaningful opinion.  Worked well last time I used it, seemed a solid piece of kit, just not getting as much use as expected.     

"what is this quintessence of dust?"  - Shakespeare

I purchased a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2.  I haven't set it up yet. I'm going to need some time to mess with it and get over the learning curve to see whether I like it and whether it will do what I want.     

You should be able to most anything with it.  BGD loves his and my son has one that he likes a lot also.     

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

there's plenty of tutorials on youtube     

beamer wrote:

You should be able to most anything with it.  BGD loves his and my son has one that he likes a lot also.

My nephew does voice acting, and this is the interface that he uses to do recording in his studio. That's what pushed me over the edge.     

Phill Williams wrote:

there's plenty of tutorials on youtube

I got a big fat live tutorial from Jerome. He was patient and gave an enormous amount of his time. I am very grateful to him for it. But yes, you are absolutely correct that anything you want to learn about sound editing and recording is on YouTube somewhere.

- Zurf     

Nice discussion     

I am using the Audient and I am very happy with it. Its parameters are good and I am not complaining, it has a good price and quality