1 (edited by Phill Williams 2021-08-31 22:03:07)

Topic: Any luck at all

This is just a 12 bar blues played fast. A song with a story about a lady mugged in Mexico.

Any Luck At AllUndefined

Any Luck At All.        Phill Williams.

VERSE 1

[A] She lost all her things down in Mexico.

They [E] took all her bags and cash.

She held up her hand to call a cab.

And [A] someone took the glove off her hand.

[D] Bad luck was her middle name.

And [A] Jonah was the name that she was called.

If she [E] didn't have bad luck she always said.

She wouldn't have any luck at [A] all.

VERSE 2

[A] So she had to find another way home.

The [E] local police were no good.

Her visa was tucked up tight in her bra.

But she [A] wandered in the wrong neighbourhood.

[D] “Hey there lady” sent a chill down her spine.

“This could [A] be your lucky call.”

[E] Way down in Mexico where they [D] dance upon their [A] hats.

[E] They live on Coke and chilly beans.

And [Bm] chickens run like [E] rats.

VERSE 3

[A] She hitched a ride to the border gates.

But they [E] wouldn't let her get through.

How am I supposed to get home from here?

[A] “Seniorita that is up to you.”

[D] Bad luck was her middle name.

And [A] Jonah was the name that she was called.

SOLO;[D-A-E-A-]

VERSE 4

[A] So she met some guy in a run down bar.

And he [E] gave her a ticket on a plane.

All she had to do was be nice for a night.

And she'd [A] never have to see his face again.

||:[D] Bad luck was her middle name.

And [A] this was her down fall.

She wouldn't have any luck at [A] all:||

SOLO;[D-A-E-A]

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Re: Any luck at all

Phill
That describes such a sad life.

Jim     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

3 (edited by Peatle Jville 2021-09-01 05:52:36)

Clever Blues. I like a good storyline in a song and you have done that.. Maree and I, years back went down to Tijuana for a day from LA on a bus. We were given a map on the bus showing us the safe area to walk around and the area that weren't.  Maree and I stuck to the suggested safe area  another couple on the bus decided to ignore the advice got mugged they lost their money but got to keep their passports.

Pete, those Mexican muggers are all heart?

Jim, sometimes it's how I feel when everything goes wrong. The best bit of luck I ever had was marrying Ann.     

Liked the song Phill and plays well. - Mexico...hmm... Not a place I am looking to visit. Sounds unlucky.     

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Jeff, I've actually been there and it's lovely, I picked there because of the border and programmes like "queen of the south" that make it sound so dangerous!
Thanks for trying it out, I've tried it at the speed I wrote it and it's just not right, so I'll start again a little slower. I'd like to hear how you've done it if possible?     

Phill
It could be any major city - they all have danger zones.
There are some gangs  and drug deals it makes it quite treacherous and savage sometimes.

Nice song -

Best Regards to Anne !!

Jim     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Thanks Jim, yes it could be any major city, even small towns have their no-go areas. The glorification of drugs and violence on TV, video games and film makes me sick, there's no need for it. It's no wonder we live in such frightening times.     

Phill Williams wrote:

Jeff, I've actually been there and it's lovely, I picked there because of the border and programmes like "queen of the south" that make it sound so dangerous!
Thanks for trying it out, I've tried it at the speed I wrote it and it's just not right, so I'll start again a little slower. I'd like to hear how you've done it if possible?

No problem - I'll record my version for you tonight.     

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Looking forward to hearing it. I've done some modifications and it's now a line dancing song!

When I wrote the first line the contenders were... Argentina, Afghanistan and Kentucky, I didn't know how the song would develop  at that time. I think Mexico was a good fit?     

Hey Phill - I just sent you a scratch recording of how I think it goes. Let me know if you get it and if it comes close to how you meant it to be played.     

J  E  T  S

Hi Jeff, yes got it, totally different to how I do it, But that's more than good. It's a big thrill to hear others sing your songs, I'm grateful. Thanks