Topic: Bankrupt?????

Hi all, Did you all read or hear the news about Gibson Guitars yesterday? I sure hope the restructuring works as there are a lot of people depending on Gibson for their employment. The company has been around since 1894 and folks, ..... that's a lot of guitars! You know, I was thinking, if we all went and bought one,..... they are an icon ya know......., an American icon...., and I'm not saying buy 2 or 3, just 1,......., is it time to shut up yet?........., LOL...., Your friend, Trevor Calhoun.
     P.S.   I really hope things work out well for them.

Re: Bankrupt?????

Yes I was reading about that in one of the papers today. The article gave a long list of artists who used Gibson, then showed a picture of Clapton playing a strat

Thick as two short planks

Trump is always on about American jobs, he could make a name for himself by buying one each for all the White House staff...lol

I won't get one because I don't like the flat, thick neck not because I want to see Gibson to bust, though I wouldn't mind a top end acoustic....

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Phill Williams wrote:

Trump is always on about American jobs, he could make a name for himself by buying one each for all the White House staff...lol

I won't get one because I don't like the flat, thick neck not because I want to see Gibson to bust, though I wouldn't mind a top end acoustic....

Phill my Les Paul has one of the finest and fastest necks I have ever played but it still comes down to personal choice it still has to feel right for whoever plays it and I would like a nice hummingbird but it costs as much as a small compact car.

"Growing old is not for sissies"

5 (edited by Tenement Funster 2018-05-03 11:21:40)

No company is immune from the changing forces of the global economy. We've had a couple of discussion threads in recent months about Gibson's financial woes, and like them or not, there are an ever-increasing number of lower-cost / high-quality manufacturers in the guitar business from all over the planet. The whole thing reminds me of a quote from Agent Smith in "The Matrix":

https://farm8.static.flickr.com/7308/11436572504_ec9ceb69c5_b.jpg

Sorry to see you go Gibson...I've been to guitar center and played them all and to tell you the truth I played some yamaha's that blow freakin top end gibsons out of the water!!!     

Forgive your enemies, but always remember their names!

HOw many times have we heard this tale? 
All Iknow is my chibson Tradition, is a beast and better than most Gibsons I have picked up. 
The Yamaha Revstars are awesome! I realy want the TV Yellow one.     

“Find your own sound.  Dont be a second rateYngwie Malmsteen be a first rate you”

– George Lynch 2013 (Dokken, Lynchmob, KXM, Tooth & Nail etc....)

Here is the update.....

On Tuesday, the Nashville-based guitar company Gibson Brands announced a crop of new executives who hope to guide the business through a pivotal transition in its 124-year history, as the company emerges from bankruptcy protection. The company's newly named president and CEO is James "JC" Curleigh, who is exiting his role as president of Levi Strauss & Co. to take the position.

The rest of the newly appointed leadership team is chief merchant officer Cesar Gueikian, chief financial officer Kim Mattoon and chief production officer Christian Schmitz.

Earlier this month, a U.S. bankruptcy court in Delaware approved the company's reorganization plan, which allows it to exit bankruptcy and keep itself in business. On Nov. 1, in parallel to the new executive team's first day on the job, the investment firm Kohlberg Kravis Roberts & Co. (KKR) will assume majority ownership control of Gibson. The incoming chairman of the company's board of directors will be Nat Zilkha of KKR. He is also the former lead guitarist of the New York band Red Rooster, which released three albums in the 2000s and appeared at the Newport Folk Festival in 2008.

ps.  My two Gibson's sound very nice - no complaints here.
hard to believe a giant like this could even be in financial trouble.... but it joined a long list. ( general motors, guitar center, j.c.Penney, Remington, Sears& Roebuck, etc....)

Covid has been David to many a Goliath !     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke