1 (edited by TIGLJK 2022-08-01 11:42:37)

Topic: On The Breeze

I've had a few of these lines in my head for a while and today they seemed to gel together. This is what I came up with.

On The Breeze by Jim Kenyon

Verse 1

[G]It’s been two years since I left Houston

And now I’m [C]getting tired of livin' in L.[G ]A.

[G]Thought maybe I’d head East to Nashville

And see if [C]better luck would come my [G]way

Verse 2

[G]They say the songs there speak of people’s lives

folks are [C]nice, and the girls are so [G]pretty

[G]and hearts there, can make you feel at home

and a man [C]might have a chance in that [G]city

Chorus

[C]I’m just like songs on the radio, [G]floating on the breeze

[C] running from or to someone,or [G]something that I need

[C] looking for a good time, or a song [G] to put my mind at ease

I’m just [D]like those songs on the radio, just [C] floating on the [G]breeze

Verse 3

[G]No one knows what the future holds

Seems so far,[C] that every door’s had a [G]lock

[G]I still don’t know what I’m looking for

so I’ll keep [C]moving ‘til the wind begins to[G] stop

Chorus

[C]I’m just like songs on the radio, [G]floating on the breeze

[C] running from or to someone,or [G]something that I need

[C] looking for a good time, or a song [G] to put my mind at ease

I’m just [D]like those songs on the radio, just [C] floating on the [G]breeze

Slow

[D]just like those songs on the radio, just [C] floating on the [G]breeze

Yeah I’m [D]just like those songs on the radio, just [C]floating on the [G]breeze

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Re: On The Breeze

Jim I like your lyrics about a songwriter trying to find their successful  place to be in the world.     

Great song Jim. I didn't get that songwriter reference I thought it was about a lost soul searching for a home?     

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Jim, reading the lyrics again I don't know why I  thought it was about a songwriter as there is no reference to the person being a musician.  As Phill has rightly mentioned it is a great song about a lost soul searching for a home.     

Pedr, it could be about either it could even be about a road trip...it's how the listener or reader interprets the story. I've been working on a song for a while and every time I go back to it it changes theme. I always thought Bohemian Rhapsody was about passing the AIDS virus, but apparently I was wrong it's just how I interpreted it. Come on Jim where's the recording?     

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Peatle and Phill

Thanks for the kind words.
You are both correct - it is about a wandering soul- but it is actually
in reference to a musician trying to make it and that he can't hold down any real relationship because they are always looking for something else.. 
I happen to be listening a couple days ago to a great podcast called" the day when music became art".
In one chapter Steve Earle talked about running away to Houston at age 14, then going to L.A. at 19 - getting married and then divorced.Moving to NYC and getting married and divorced He then headed to Nashville and later New York. I believe he has been married five times.( so I also thought that the song could be about people that are in and out of relationships { or marriages}  )
The chorus came to me about three weeks ago when a guy I was talking to said his kids were like the breeze, always going from here to there - and it kinda stuck with me.

Anyways - thanks again for the positive comments.  I really wish I was a good singer -  the songs I write sound so much better in my mind than when I record them. Also the fact that I live in "cowboy chordland" ( featuring "the GCD trio":)  - limits what they sound like musically.    It's why I love chordie, bc the kind people here often will do a version of them and make them so much better.

I will put a recording up soon, so get your ear plugs ready !! smile     

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

I like this a lot TIGLJK, a lost wondering soul looking for something, someone, somewhere ..... I can hear it as country.  Nicely written smile     

Laugh Lots ... Forgive Much ...  Love one another     smile
Covers and some Originals found over there    ------- >    https://soundcloud.com/ukulelejan

Jan
Thank you.

That is probably the best description - wish I had of thought of it ! smile

Jim     

Hey Jim - I finally got some time to check out your new song. I enjoyed the chords and the lyrics. Reminded me of the days when the great songwriters were finding themselves and polishing their craft. To me, when I tried it out it, I played it relaxed and unforced. Well done. I'm looking forward to hearing your recording so I'll know how close I came.     

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C