Topic: Memorizing Songs

Happy New Years Everyone!!!!! I love a whooooole buuunch of songs and i like to play them all. But there are certain songs that i wish I could have memorized and just play on demand. I guess my problem is that since i love to play alot of songs i can't always just stay on one. I'm sure some answers will say just play one song over and over but that will just take the fun out of the song. Anyone have special techniques they use to memorize songs!!!! 

Forgive your enemies, but always remember their names!

2 (edited by TIGLJK 2022-01-23 12:45:27)

Re: Memorizing Songs

Great point Riverdales - that always amazes me when I go to live venues - my comment to my wife is usually " How heck can they remember all those songs.? "   I mean often people are requesting from the crowd and these people just go - ok  I'll play it ! I have trouble remembering the lines from my own songs ! smile   sad

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Re: Memorizing Songs

I'm like  Jim I  cant  even remember  my  own songs  Gave up  trying  yeas  ago   so  I  just    rely on  song  sheets .     

4 (edited by Phill Williams 2022-01-25 23:00:33)

Re: Memorizing Songs

Most of the songs I know and play I learnt decades ago. New songs seem to go in one eye and out the other! It helps if you can make up words as your playing, I used to do that a lot back in the day! I can only remember snippets of my own songs. If I try out new song in the future I'll give Grahams idea a go and read from song sheets. Memory full?

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Re: Memorizing Songs

Like Phill, A lot of the songs I play, I've been playing for decades.

I find that most songs tell a story. When I set out to learn a new one, I'll just read through it a number of times to get the story line in my head. Once the story is seared into my leaky brain, I'll work on putting the music and lyrics together.     

__________________________________
[b]Today Is Only Yesterdays Tomorrow[/b]

Re: Memorizing Songs

i can relate to that , only a hand full of my own songs i can play on demand.

Grah1 wrote:

I'm like  Jim I  cant  even remember  my  own songs  Gave up  trying  yeas  ago   so  I  just    rely on  song  sheets .

     

out of tune out of key and out of touch

Re: Memorizing Songs

That is so true. Songs back in the day told a story. Every Verse was different from the next from beginning to end. Now adays it should be ez to remember a song because now songs don't even have verses. All they have is the chorus /hook over and over again. One of my old time favs that i'd love to know and just play anytime is He stopped loving her today by George Jones, or I've always been crazy by Merle Haggard. I can sing along with every word but learning the song chords beginning to end eludes my HIPPOCAMPUS. (I googled that). I would really rather not walk into a nice place that has talent night and pull out my sheet music so i can just drop it all over the floor then have to pick it up in front of an amused audience. One thing I have done just at friends houses or little i mean little like 5,6 people get togethers is put my phone on a guitar phone holder that i hope to find again one day and open chordie, choose a song and set it to scroll. I played Letter to Elise by the cure to a very appreciative audience who wanted more. Hope someone has the memorization trick out of all our chordies out there!!!

unclejoesband wrote:

Like Phill, A lot of the songs I play, I've been playing for decades.

I find that most songs tell a story. When I set out to learn a new one, I'll just read through it a number of times to get the story line in my head. Once the story is seared into my leaky brain, I'll work on putting the music and lyrics together.

     

Forgive your enemies, but always remember their names!

Re: Memorizing Songs

Riverdales wrote:

I would really rather not walk into a nice place that has talent night and pull out my sheet music so i can just drop it all over the floor then have to pick it up in front of an amused audience.

Yeah that's a pet peeve of mine. If I'm going to learn a song, I'm going to learn it. I don't want a music stand in front of me when I'm in front of an audience. It just feels wrong. If I miss a line or even an entire verse (which I have done on more than one occasion) I'll learn from that mistake and be much less likely to do it again.

I was at an open mic about a month ago. The girl that was on before me was using her phone in scroll mode and it froze. She was lost and couldn't finish the song. Nope. Not going there. smile     

__________________________________
[b]Today Is Only Yesterdays Tomorrow[/b]

9 (edited by Grah1 2022-01-27 20:55:08)

Re: Memorizing Songs

I must admit that I find the music stand a bit embarrassing at times but having performed sets of over four hours when we were a resident band in Greece it became a necessity as some times I would be asked to perform certain songs that I didn't really know only hours before the big so reading and playing something became regular.Most of the other acts on the circuit did the same ,however back here in the UK I feel it is something that does detract from a performance but as I am now  nearly 68 and just playing for fun I just get over it and do it.Some of my associates use iPad but I just don't trust it.LoL

Re: Memorizing Songs

unclejoesband wrote:
Riverdales wrote:

I would really rather not walk into a nice place that has talent night and pull out my sheet music so i can just drop it all over the floor then have to pick it up in front of an amused audience.

Yeah that's a pet peeve of mine. If I'm going to learn a song, I'm going to learn it. I don't want a music stand in front of me when I'm in front of an audience. It just feels wrong. If I miss a line or even an entire verse (which I have done on more than one occasion) I'll learn from that mistake and be much less likely to do it again.

I was at an open mic about a month ago. The girl that was on before me was using her phone in scroll mode and it froze. She was lost and couldn't finish the song. Nope. Not going there. smile

Forgetting words, lines or complete verses? I've so been there. I've repeated the same verse three times before now. Worst thing is; you make a cock up, then next night you stress about it and do it again! I saw an act recently when their iPad conked out and delayed starting for half an hour while her husband brought a spare from 20 miles away. Learn the words, saves a lot of embarrassment.     

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Re: Memorizing Songs

It's been quite a while since I've posted anything but this thread caught my eye.  I've always had a knack for remembering lyrics and at age 72 I'm surprised that the ability hasn't left.  When I play out I only carry  a notebook with names of songs that I play.  I just looked through it and have a list of 65 of the songs that I've written and 68 covers that I like playing.  Some of them I haven't played for a long time but I estimate I could play 58 of my songs and 64 of the covers and remember all the lyrics. My issue for some songs is remembering what key to play it in and the chord progressions.  sad

When I learn a song I first concentrate on remembering the chorus/hook. Nearly all the songs I play have verses that are similar to chapters in a book or story that relate to the hook, so  I then try to remember some key words in each verse that are easy to recall and trigger my memory of how the story "flows".  Works for me. Your mileage may vary.     

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Re: Memorizing Songs

Actually that sounds so EZ it just might work! The chorus/hook is always the same. The verses are the same except for the lyrics if it's a good song, if not you'll be repeating baby baby baby the whole song. Nice first suggestion on memorization and i'm gonna give it a go.

Dirty Ed wrote:

It's been quite a while since I've posted anything but this thread caught my eye.  I've always had a knack for remembering lyrics and at age 72 I'm surprised that the ability hasn't left.  When I play out I only carry  a notebook with names of songs that I play.  I just looked through it and have a list of 65 of the songs that I've written and 68 covers that I like playing.  Some of them I haven't played for a long time but I estimate I could play 58 of my songs and 64 of the covers and remember all the lyrics. My issue for some songs is remembering what key to play it in and the chord progressions.  sad

When I learn a song I first concentrate on remembering the chorus/hook. Nearly all the songs I play have verses that are similar to chapters in a book or story that relate to the hook, so  I then try to remember some key words in each verse that are easy to recall and trigger my memory of how the story "flows".  Works for me. Your mileage may vary.

     

Forgive your enemies, but always remember their names!

Re: Memorizing Songs

I have started learning guitar two months ago and my teacher told me not to fret about memorizing the chords and all that. He told me to practice a different song on my own as much as I can and soon enough I would be able to play any song without memorizing the chords. I hope you get it. How long have you been playing?     

14 (edited by Riverdales 2022-04-10 10:17:01)

Re: Memorizing Songs

I've been plucking and callusing since 08 so my acoustic/electric/acoustic journey has been 14 yrs. I can play any chord you throw at me and I can tune my guitar by ear!!! Your teacher is funny. ("my teacher told me not to fret") ha ha. It's memorization techniques the community uses I am interested in. I don't want to play one song to death trying to learn it then I hate it. Welcome to Chordie! I learned to play guitar here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forgive your enemies, but always remember their names!

Re: Memorizing Songs

A good way is to learn 5 at a time. It's not too big a number, so you can easily learn without getting bored.