1 (edited by TIGLJK 2023-03-14 13:59:54)

Topic: rISE uP fROM tHE dUST

Rise Up From The Dust By Jim Kenyon

Verse 1

[Em]The sounds of lonely winds, and the [A]secrets they [Em]hide

[Em]just a prelude to the misery that [A] she keeps in[Em]side

Oh,[Em]her heart was shattered, now she’s[A] looking for a way [Em]out

[Em]and leave behind the past, but [A]she’s drowning in [Em]doubt

Verse 2

[Em]She tries to live in the present, but her [A]mind’s still in the [Em]past

[Em]she caters to what she might lose, [A]believing nothing will [Em] last

[Em]blinded by tears and fears, and what the[A] wowsers might [Em]say

[Em]struggling to be free, and to live for [A]love on some other [Em]day

chorus

now girl, [A]before you, are the doors to start again,

and a [Em] fight to rise up from the dust

but [A]you must chose to leave your solitude,

just as[Em] twilight deepens into the dusk

[A]it’s time for you to take a leap of faith,

and be[Em]lieve that you are strong

just [A]open up your heart and find love again

and [B7]live life to the [A]fullest , before it’s [Em]gone

Verse 3

[Em]it’s not easy to find a new song, in the [A] jukebox we call [Em]life

[Em]despatchers send us doubts, they say[A] love cuts you like a[Em] knife

[Em]but the past is the past for a reason. It's [A] been, and now it is [Em]gone

[Em] Woman, it’s time to look ahead, yeah, it’s [A]time to move [Em]on

chorus

now girl, [A]before you, are the doors to start again,

and a [Em] fight to rise up from the dust

but [A]you must chose to leave your solitude,

just as[Em] twilight deepens into the dusk

[A]it’s time for you to take a leap of faith,

and be[Em]lieve that you are strong

just [A]open up your heart and find love again

and [B7]live life to the [A]fullest , before it’s [Em]gone

outgo

[Em] rise up from the dust

[Em] rise up from the dust

[Em]rise up from the dust

slow

'

[B7] fight to [A]rise up from the [A]dust

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

Re: rISE uP fROM tHE dUST

Hi jim. Love your verses but I don't get the first line of your chorus. And what are wowsers? I'm not being critical here just trying to understand what you're trying to say.

Your verses are so poetic and it's great how you transfer from she to you for the choruses. I havent tried playing it yet, still early morning.     

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

3 (edited by TIGLJK 2023-03-14 13:17:36)

Phil
"Wowser" is an Australian and New Zealand term that refers to a person who seeks to deprive others of behaviour deemed to be immoral or sinful.
a wowser is commonly someone who looks to crack down on enjoyment
someone who disapproves of people enjoying themselves
someone who stops other people from having fun

I had never heard of it before either...   lol

as far as the chorus, I just put a comma in - that should help = what it means is that before her are the opportunities to move forward - through the symbolic doors so to speak.

My niece had her husband leave  a few years ago - and she is a wonderful girl.   She is so hesitant to begin her life again and venture into any new relationship.  It was a conversation about her situation that sparked this song, along of course, with the suggested words from our friends here on chordie. The transfer from "she" to "you" was intentional, like an old uncle (which I am ) giving her some advice ( which I actually did) smile  I also changed it from girl to woman so as to impress that she has changed as well.   
Phill - thanks so much - your comments always are spot on and helpful.  If you have any suggestions musically, you know I always need help there !  I'm pretty much limited to cowboy chords and easy progressions.

I would love to hear your rendition if you get a chance.

Cheers
JIm

ps, this morning my town in mid NY State is getting blessed with up to 24" of snow !!  It's beautiful, but a pain in the arse.  smile

Your vision is not limited by what your eye can see, but what your mind can imagine.
Make your life count, and the world will be a better place because you tried.

"Use the talents you possess, for the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except only the the best." - Henry Van Dyke

thanks Jim. As I recall from watching TV with my kids "wowsers" was inspector Gadget's catch phrase. I thought it was an American thing not knowing it was an Antipodean thing!
Sorry to hear about your niece, hope she takes heart from your song and advice. I sort of guessed what you meant by door I just wanted to be sure...cowboy chords?

I'd love to meet up face to face one day. We had snow last week, it was measured in millimetres and disappeared before lunch.     

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Jim, love your clever song writing and putting the selected words into it, brilliant how you do that each month.   ~Wowser~, is often used by people in conversation when they don't necessarily know what to say.  Here is how it is explained on one site on the web.
"Wowzers" is just a slightly sillier, slightly more exaggerated version of "wow."
How Wowzers Is Used
Like the word wow, wowzers is a reactive exclamation. It can be used as a standalone word to react, or as part of a sentence that elaborates on the reaction.
People say it online or send it in a text message when they're reacting to something that seems surprising or shocking to them. When they don't know how to respond with words, saying wowzers is a good way to communicate their loss for words.
People also tend to say wowzers when they're excited about something and don't know how else to express it. They may use multiple exclamation marks after the wordy to convey the intensity of their excitement (or sense of shock and surprise) almost as if they want the people they're talking to online or via text to know that they're shouting.

Phill agree, Inspector Gadget did use that word, I had forgotten that lol.  Anyway, hope you cover this song for Jim smile     

Laugh Lots ... Forgive Much ...  Love one another     smile
Covers and some Originals found over there    ------- >    https://soundcloud.com/ukulelejan