Topic: Guitar Shopping - spendthrift or cheapskate!

I was at my local music shop to get an opinion on my 15 year old Fender's setup and did some browsing in the acoustic section.  The bad news - the Fender has a slightly bowed top, which means drastic surgery at the saddle end would be needed to get the action lower. So point one for you second hand guitar buyers - I can't see this bowing, it's so slight, but just a couple of millimeters means that I'm stuck with a tough action after fret 7. Oh well!

So I started looking at 500pounds/750Euro/ 1000Usd guitars. The guitar guy was really helpful and let me compare quite a few, including his own recommendation - a Taylor 110e at 770euro. I can say that this is a really good guitar - it's a budget Taylor - it has the name - it's well made, it has a case and it's got electronics that are so discrete you have to give them top marks for that! ( http://www.taylorguitars.com/Guitars/100-200/100/110e/ ). So IF that's my price point, that's the one I'd go for.

My problem is - I tried a Gibson Hummingbird. Immediately you can hear the difference between the budget guitars and the full price. Every note was balanced, rich and clear. It's not the playability - it's the tone.

So my next big decision - do I stick to the budget ones (I already have a Simon and Patrick)- or spend the once in a lifetime money! This could take some weeks!

I am playing all the right notes - but not necessarily in the right order! [Eric Morecombe]

Re: Guitar Shopping - spendthrift or cheapskate!

Acoustics are so difficult, and the problem is you pay more for the hummingbird, but I am afraid that if you take the other, you will keep thinking on the hummingbird.
Suggestion: take a look on ebay.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Holy crap.  You broke guitar shop rule number one.  NEVER pick up a guitar you can't afford.  You just know you're going to go get a second job and lie on your tax return just so you can afford the down payment on that Hummingbird. 

I've played the Taylor 110e.  It's nice.  I think there are several guitars made by Taylor, Blue Ridge, Seagull, Martin, and Breedlove in that price range worth the money.  I think the e-110 I looked at was $479 American.  There's a lot of guitars that sound really great between $479 and the billion or two Gibson wants.  For my ears, Martin is tough to beat for good clean acoustic tone, and you can get a well-made Martin for a lot less than that Gibson. 

By the time I'd be thinking about spending Gibson Hummingbird kind of money, I'd be seriously considering a custom luthier-built piece.  You may be able to get a guitar made special to fit for your hands and be easy to play in your style with the exact electronics you prefer for the same level of cash outlay.   Just something to consider. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Thanks guys
I hear a lot of good and bad about ebay - I'd rather play before I pay for an acoustic I think.
But Zurf could have a point - both about guitar shop rule 1, and luthiers. I will look into that. It would be nice to pay an individual rather than a faceless corporation! Or the tax man.
Su

I am playing all the right notes - but not necessarily in the right order! [Eric Morecombe]

hey there sumelton, I know exaactly what you are going through. I have been there done that twice in my life now. 1976 I spent $650.00 which I could not afford at the time  on a Guild F-50. It was painful for a few months but I enjoyed that guitar for over 30 years. Last month I dished out $4,000.00 on a martin D-42. The thing I know is I will recover from the money soon enough. I also know that I will be enjoying a top of the line guitar for the rest of my life. I say buy that guitar of your dreams. It may be somewhat painful for a while. But in a year from now you will be glad you did.

what a long strange trip it's been

thanks pj - I do feel the itch getting stronger - and those GH songs will sound pretty cool on one, don't you think!

7 (edited by mrjay 2007-09-11 15:27:24)

patrickjacques, you're a danger to people's wallets =P

Btw, how is that poor Guild doing?

sumelton1 wrote:

thanks pj - I do feel the itch getting stronger - and those GH songs will sound pretty cool on one, don't you think!

Oh, you were screwed the moment you picked up the guitar.  You're going to get one.  If you didn't want it, you'd have turned to a financial/budgeting web site for advice rather than a bunch of guitar players (or guitar player wannabe in my case).

:-) 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

looks like it - my work colleagues tell me to treat myself.
Let the shopping begin!

10 (edited by WeaserP 2007-09-12 00:38:10)

I know I could get skewered by some purists but take a look at Ovations.  If you can get by the plastic/round back thing, they're great guitars for the money.  IMHO, Martins, Taylors, and Gibsons are great guitars but there are others.  Takamine makes a great, reasonably priced guitar as well.  Play a lot of them and, if you're on a budget stay away from the McPhersons or anything on that level - there is a difference but you'll pay for it too.

I know - but I have to narrow it down to the big three or I''ll go mad trying to choose. Martin, Taylor, Gibson seem to be the big three at the moment ---- with the hummingbird out in front because I am really more poppy than folky - but I do admire the electronics on the Taylors. I thhk these are also always going to hold value.

mrjay wrote:

First of all mrjay a guitar in that price range is an investment. This is not money thrown away, and second of all I am only giving my opinion (which was asked for) I am sure sumelton is quite able to make up his own mind. And to answer your question about my Guild. I am not able  at this time to have it repaired as I have invested all I have in my new Martin. This Martin by the way is the nicest acoustic and best sounding guitar I have ever played

13 (edited by patrickjacques 2007-09-12 15:58:33)

sumelton1 wrote:

I know - but I have to narrow it down to the big three or I''ll go mad trying to choose. Martin, Taylor, Gibson seem to be the big three at the moment ---- with the hummingbird out in front because I am really more poppy than folky - but I do admire the electronics on the Taylors. I thhk these are also always going to hold value.

I went through the same choosing my Martin.I also had it narrowed down Martin, Taylor and Gibson. I found the Taylors and the Gibsons were nicer looking but when it came to tone the  Martin won hands down. My advise is to take it slow hit every guitar shop available to you. Don't be afraid to bargin. Play as many guitars as you can before you choose. In the end I found that by taking my time (a couple of months) there was a $1,000.00 difference in the highest and lowest prices quoted to me for the Martin I chose. Remember never pay the list price

14 (edited by mrjay 2007-09-12 15:45:42)

patrickjacques wrote:
mrjay wrote:

First of all mrjay a guitar in that price range is an investment. This is not money thrown away, and second of all I am only giving my opinion (which was asked for) I am sure sumelton is quite able to make up his own mind. And to answer your question about my Guild. I am not able  at this time to have it repaired as I have invested all I have in my new Martin. This Martin by the way is the nicest acoustic and best sounding guitar I have ever played

I agree wholeheartedly PJ. Just thought I'd poke some fun at a fellow montrealer tongue. I myself have begun my own collection & I'm constantly looking for new guitars (all from high-quality brands :s). I've read some of your posts, and i remember you saying that buying a quality instrument will encourage you to keep playing. I found this to be very true when I picked up playing again last year and bought my Guild. I could have gone for a Yamaha, or something else that was cheaper than my Guild, but sometimes you sit in a shop with a particular guitar in you hands and you say to yourself "Ok, I don't care! I have to take this thing home!" Was it the same with your Martin?

15 (edited by patrickjacques 2007-09-12 16:17:13)

Tell me mrjay which model Guild did you choose and how do you like it ?   As you know I love Guilds. As far as my new Martin I took my time and did a lot of shopping around. Even after deciding on a Martin it took me a good mounth to decide on which model. It was a long process because I figure on this being my last 6 string acoustic guitar purchase. Maybe a 12 string further on down the road

Weaser - Do you play sitting down?  I have a hard time keeping an Ovation with the curved back sitting properly on my lap.  Standing, it's a bit of an issue as well because it is round surface on round surface [perhaps your stomach is flatter than mine :-)  ]

But as far as sound, the Ovations are nice no question about that. 

- Zurf

sumelton1 wrote:

I know - but I have to narrow it down to the big three or I''ll go mad trying to choose.

Maybe that's where I lost it long ago but everytime I go shopping to buy, I play everything I can in the price range, new and used, and it takes me a while to choose everytime but what do I care?

18 (edited by WeaserP 2007-09-12 18:41:31)

Zurf - I do play both - sitting and standing and, though I know several people say they have a hard time with Ovations, I really never have.  And there are several reasons I like them - i.e. great sound for the price, they're less prone to nicks and bites and, if you're playing with others, they tend to cut right through the mix.  I've owned others (and still do) but if someone is looking for a nice player at a good price, Ovation comes to my mind way in front of the Martins, Taylors and the like.  they're great guitars too, no question, but if you're on a limited budget, I think you're compromising if you go for them.

Just one opinion.

Another thought, Zurf - have you tried their contour bowl?  Give that a shot and see what you think.

Haven't tried the contour bowl.  I wonder if it would fit on my protruding gut like a Lego block? 

I'm happy with what I've got for now and not looking for another guitar, but thanks for the suggestion.  When I do go to look (which can't be long, knowing how satisfaction for me is usually temporary at best), I'll check Ovation out.   I've got an Ovation bass and like it very well. 

- Zurf

patrickjacques wrote:

Tell me mrjay which model Guild did you choose and how do you like it ?   As you know I love Guilds. As far as my new Martin I took my time and did a lot of shopping around. Even after deciding on a Martin it took me a good mounth to decide on which model. It was a long process because I figure on this being my last 6 string acoustic guitar purchase. Maybe a 12 string further on down the road

Hey again, patrickjacques. My Guild is a more recent model than yours. It's the GAD-50e which belongs to the more mid-range models. Check it out here:

http://www.guildguitars.com/instruments … 3810505842

However, knowing you bought your Guild a while back, you might be displeased to find out that the company is now under Fender and some of their models are being made in China. I was rather apprehensive of these new models when I found out this news, but was ultimately very surprised & pleased  after strumming a few chords on mine in the shop. The tone is very deep & warm given the Indian Rosewood body & Sitka Spruce top. Amazing volume & very comfortable to play. All in all, a fantastic guitar and great value for people with a "mid-ranged" budget.

Next time you're in the shop, give it a try. You probably won't find it as exquisite as your new Martin or even your old Guild, but I think you'll be impressed. Let me know what you think. smile

I do not know for sure but I have been told that an Ovation does not age well and that they tend to fall apart over the years. Any one out there have an older Ovation who can give up the facts on this subject

I've owned two both over twenty years old and neither one has fallen apart but I have to say that I've never had a guitar fall apart on me - regardless of make.

I broke the guitar shop rule too. Had a chance to try a Gibson
Hummingbird for 20 minutes at our local shop. Wow a huge difference between the gibson and my fender acoustic. The hummingbird was very easy to play and had great sound.I'm thinking of getting a part time job and save for one.lol.Tried
some Martins  as well and liked them all. Want to try a Taylor next. The shop has a room where you can pick up any guitar you want which is very cool. Anyway I've been thinking about that Hummingbird for Three days now.Someday , someday.

Take Care...Badeye.

one caper after another

Come on now people.  We have these rules for a reason.  I'm not really sure what that reason is, but by golly they're rules.  You can't go around breaking them and not expecting it to cost you dearly. 

Don't pick up a guitar you can't afford.

Don't pick up a good quality guitar that will require you to learn a different style you don't already want to learn.

Don't jamm with other people in the shop if you don't have time to spare to join a band. 

:-)

- Zurf