1 (edited by Guitarpix 2007-09-04 01:33:44)

Topic: Can you do this?

Ok several friends and I were playing the other night and my wife (which I have TRIED (lol) to teach to play) came in and asked how many of us could rub their stomach and pat their head at the same time. It's a theory that she has... And I have to confess ,so far, it has proven fairly accurate among the players I know.  My friends that are proficient guitar players can all do it. I had a friend over also that has struggled with the guitar for over a year and finds it extremely difficult to progress and he could not do it.  So my question to you is - Can you rub your stomach and pat your head at the same time and do you think people that can find playing easier and vice versa?   BTW I can...She can't..  Thanks! Peace and pleasant strums!

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Re: Can you do this?

I can. Here's a question, is musical ability genetic? I think that there's no doubt if you grow up hearing music and seeing players, then you will be more musical. But what if your family is musical, but the one's that can play never do it around you or they don't live close, as is the case with me.

gander93 wrote:

I can. Here's a question, is musical ability genetic? I think that there's no doubt if you grow up hearing music and seeing players, then you will be more musical. But what if your family is musical, but the one's that can play never do it around you or they don't live close, as is the case with me.

I can bet it would never be genitic because one of my brother in laws a drummer and the other brother in law could not carry a tune if you turned on the radio, found the song and gave the radio to him by the handle.

Bootlegger.

i can do it.......
unfortunately it doesn't make me play any better lol

All You Need is Love smile

Well, guitar players have a developed sense of coordination, so it stands to reason doesn't it? you have to make left and right hands do different and independant movements, so the head/belly thing isn't too big a jump.
Genetics? I don't think there's a gene that could be labelled "musical ability". by the same token, some people can match a note heard on their instrument, some cannot. I have read in a few seperate places you can train your "musical ear" to be able to do this. I don't know myself, was blessed with perfect pitch hearing big_smile
have i missed anything? lol

She aint exactly pretty, she aint exactly small
but at 42-39-56, you could say she's got it all....

Try making a clockwise circular motion with your right foot and then making a counter-clockwise circular movement with your right hand. Look what happens.
If you can achieve this you are a freak. lol

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

alvee33 wrote:

Try making a clockwise circular motion with your right foot and then making a counter-clockwise circular movement with your right hand. Look what happens.

I DID IT! tongue
I am dead serious, I just did that thing with your foot and your hand.
I can run my head and pat my stomach, but can you pat your head and rub your stomach? I can.
I have just pointed out that I have too much time on my hands.
With the family gene thing, I think it's possible. Our whole family's very musical. But only one of us took it to a professional level.
Well, I it doesn't have to be a musical ability, it could be anything.

The Irish gave the bagpipes to the Scots as a joke, but the Scots haven't got the joke yet.

gander93 wrote:

According to the multiple intelligences theory, it would seem that there is a genetic aspect to musical talent.  However, I think people are gifted by the Maker in accordance with His desires and intentions.  Whether He does it with genetics or at His whim, I am entirely unsure.  However, it is obvious that some people have extreme talent that remains undeveloped, some people have little talent that they work very hard and develop quite well, and some fortunate few are gifted with exceptional talent and then work very hard to develop it. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

9 (edited by alvee33 2007-09-06 09:44:53)

Seems there may be more freaks than 1st thought.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

Hey Alvee,
tongue Told you I had too much time on my hands.
That's why I picked up guitar.

Jikklop

The Irish gave the bagpipes to the Scots as a joke, but the Scots haven't got the joke yet.

Wow, I never could pat my head and rub my stomach at the same time, but can now rather easily... kinda wierd

You have to forget about what other people say; when you're supposed to die, when you're supposed to be lovin'. You have to forget about all these things. You have to go on and be crazy. Craziness is like heaven.
                                                        -James Marshall Hendrix

12 (edited by Altex 2007-09-14 11:37:24)

Yeah i think palying the guitar really helps. I could manage to do the foot hand thing. no-one in family has been musical yet my brother and I seem to be musical out of nothing. My dad is a genetisist (is that how you spell it?) and says that there must be a trait in either him or mum that has affected us. He puts it down to genetics.

Also I think that you can train yourself to be musical. My friend who struggled with guiatr for 2 years before meeting me when I was starting was still on the same level as me after 2 years. He then improved dramatically with me and now has a fantastic ear. I can play any note on the guitar an he can say whether its an E or an A or a Bb etc. Amazing.

[url=http://www.myspace.com/rdxfunk]www.myspace.com/rdxfunk[/url]

I can do it and I just did it at work and my co-workers are all staring at me wondering what the hell I'm up to......lol

I may be goin' to hell in a bucket babe

alvee33 wrote:

I managed this as well,
BUT

I had to do it on the second attempt after I realised what I done the first time.
It is very hard to do and I think impossible if you get someone to do it for the first time and tell them to do it at the same time.
Good one Al

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

i can do can do but this dosent do much good for my playing