Topic: songwriting + legallity and copyrights

In addition to evanmierlo, I wanted to ask something similar.
IF YOU WROTE A SONG: MELODY AND LYRICS, and you put this song on youtube or myspace, to find out some months later that SOMEBODY has a smash hit with your number he probably saw on these sites. IS THE FACT THAT YOU CAN PROVE THAT YOUR SONG WAS SOME MONTHS BEFORE ON THESE SITES ENOUGH PROOF FOR A LAW SUIT, or do you need to bring in the song in the official organisation, RIAA?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

2 (edited by johncross21 2007-09-11 23:51:05)

Re: songwriting + legallity and copyrights

if you bought the case in a UK court you might have a case in law against the person who performed your song without paying royalties

in the UK copyright protection is automatic - you don't need to register

however the position may be different in other countries

In the UK the Performing Rights Society collects royalties for songwriters from the owners of pubs, clubs, festivals etc -  so if you are convinced you have a potential hit in the making - and are worried about missing out on the royalties which are due you might contact PRS - and register your music.

I have made some comments separately in another post about the requirements on performers

That's the way it is in the US, too.  Copyright is implicit once the work is in tangible form, like a recording.   If you have a recording of your work from two years ago, and SuperBand 2000 has a smash hit with it tomorrow, you win.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I've wondered a lot about how to handle copyrighting my music.  Most of what I write/play will likely be used in churches and worship settings... at least for now.  So I haven't been overly concerned with the idea.  But Christian artists' music takes off all the time... and I realize that the more I put out there, the more likely it is that someone could find my music and use it as their own.  How do I handle proving dates that my songs were written or recorded?  Is there some sort of copyrighting organization that handles that... as with company logos and registered trademarks?  A friend suggested the idea of sending each song by US Mail to yourself.  Then you have it postmarked and unopened.  Any thoughts?