Topic: vocal nodules

Hi,
I cannot remember where I first posted about my vocal cords, so had to open this up.

I went to the speach thearapist yesterday. Apparantly I do not breath properly when talking and this could be the cause of the nodule I have. I told her I have managed to last 37 years so far with the way I breath lol

So I have been given some breathing exercises to do, to help my diaphramic breathing.
I know I breath properly most of the time when singing so I am not changing the way I sing.
She thinks I will only need to go back once next week then back to the docs during October.
I might not even need to get it lasered out if her breathing exersizes can reverse the nodule.

She told me that I have to try not to shout!!! impossible for me, so i have to take a proper deep breath in frst before raising my voice,lol.

I will let ye all know after I have seen the doc next month what is going to happen.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Re: vocal nodules

Hi UYK,

Delighted to hear your results! Now as your Irish Mam, you must do as she say's or you will have years of problems.

I told you the first time i had singers nodules removed was 26 years ago.
I then for years done was i was thought to do! I Had no problems.
I had some more removed in the last few years, This silly old doll started having the odd cigerette again. aaaaaaaaaaaaahh i hate them and looooooooove them at the same time..

Now ask your real Mam to teach you "3 phase breath control, while she is sitting doing nothing. TEHE     Believe me this works.. I learned it for meditation and singing! You will be such a calm cool dude, you will be singing like a lark!
God those cows are gonna be mesmerised"!!.

Slán Sunshine.

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

cheers Lena,
But I have not even told me ma yet the results from yesterday,lol. I dont tel lher much, she will maybe find out the morra when my wife tells her.

I might be getting this 3 breath thingamy jiggary next week, the woman said she was going to do breathing excersises that will improve my speak,shouting and singing,lol.

Ken

Best of luck Ken.  I don't know about your singing, but you seem to be a man devoted to his shouting.   :~)

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

upyerkilt,
When driving in the 'Nashville' Traffic, since I can't be heard I've learned how to speak with just my hands. I'm not talking the official sign language, I'm talking traffic language. I've found that sometimes traffic language works even when you're not in traffic.
Seriously though, I hope that everything works out ok for you.
I have absolutely no idea whatsoever what a "3 phase breathe control" is.

If you're not happy with what you have...
Then you'll never be happy with what you get...

Hi Ken,

If you know you breathe properly when singing, give up the talking and just sing, it will solve your problem. lol

Seriously, all the best mate and I hope all goes well.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Hi Eagleeye!

I hope your not being bold and using those digits of yours  for rude sign language in traffic?   If a Man toots or makes rude gestures to me in traffic, I just smile and blow him the biggest Kiss. The look is usually hilarious!!

UYK.
This link has very valuable info for singers to do with breathing.

http://www.vocalist.org.uk/breathing_techniques.html

Slán

Old Doll.

Thanks Old Doll,
I have not got time right now to do all those excersises, had a quick look though and looks very good.
I have saved it in my favourites and will try these out on Tuesday when I am back from my weekend away if I can still talk or breath by then,lol, and If I am still alive, lol, I just wrote my bevy list down for the weekend,
1ltr blended whisky.
1 bottle geln Moray malt
1 bottle of californian red wine
12 cans of lager

I am hoping I dont run out, but if I do there is a pub there too lol
oh what a weekend this will be.

bring on the stomach pump lol

have a nice weekend yerself.

Byefurthenoo
KEn

Ah Son!

Your definitely a lost cause.! Its the taking of  the pledge you need..

Have a great time !and ill do seven decades of the rosary to bring you and whats left of your stomach home safe!

Be good now, and if you get it easy take it twice! lol

Old Doll.

Where you off to Ken? Me and my mates are heading off to the wilderness that is Thornhill. Lmao. Wig Wams. Don't know if you've tried it. Great fun. Whisky, fire, sing song. Lovely.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

hi Al,
enjoy yerself up there ( thats if it is the thornhill up near stirling or is it the one down near dumfries?)
wherever it is, it sounds good, my kinda thing!

i am heading off to the Isle of Jura to pitch my massive tent ( hoping it is massive, i have not even taken it out the bag yet to make sure everything is there) along with another 30 or 40 tents, hotel is full and all the guest houses on jura are ful, so a few hundred people for the folk festival. All weekend, all day and night partying with whisky and guitars,fiddles,accordians, bodhrans,jews harps, vocals, pipes, and any other sort of instrument that peope bring along.

Hopefully it will be as good as the past 6 or7  years. i am taking my camcorder to try capture the atmosphere in the pub for the drinking, jamming and entertainment. and if I can make it to one in the morning on the saturday night, I will attend the ceilidh, and that goes onto about 4 or 5 in the morning. ( and for those that dont know a ceilidh is a scottish dance along and get wrecked and make an idiot of yourself,lol, pronounced kaylee)

Ken

Hee hee. Nice weather for us going into the great outdoors, eh? Sounds good.

They do say a Jura funeral is better than an Islay wedding.

Never been to Jura but have friends on Islay. Haven't been over for a long time.

Enjoy!

was a great weekend.
Not enough musicians this year for jamming in the lounge but still very good.

Had great weather up til this morning. A few heavy showers! but other than that, sunshine all weekend.

hope ye had a good one yerself

Ken

Ah Son!

Your home safe!  Well did you kill off every Bacteria know to man from your
Stomach?.. I used a bucket of Comfrey on the ould knees, been on them  so long praying for your safe return!

Glad you had a good time.. UYK.

Old Doll.

thanks maw lol

The bottle of McCallen and the litre of blended seemed to kill off the baceria, lol. As well as umpteen pints from the bar and the bottle of wine on the saturday.
Suprisngly I feeel great! I didnt really have to take a day off work to recover today, but it is good to be off, apart from all the housework I am suppose to be doing lol

Ken

Had my second breathing test today lol

I heard a recording of me talking normally, I do talk fast! ,lol.  I didnt think I spoke that loud and fast and running out of breath.

I have to slow my speaking down and take more deep breaths even if it makes me sound silly,lol..

This should be fun at work tomorrow

Ken

Ken,

Good to hear you can sort this by breathing exercises. Hope it goes ok.

Also glad you enjoyed Jura. I just heard my brother was over there at the weekend. I'd be surprised if he never took his Pipes.

Had a bit of a boozy weekend myself. Why is it women like to do the whole dinner and a show thing with their pals and us blokes prefer a weekend in the outdoors with a campfire and a few bevvies.

I bottled out of taking my guitar cos the weather wasny promising to be up to much. Boy was I dissapointed I never took it. Weather was fine. My mate did take his old 12 stringer though so we kinda took turns at beltin out a few sing-a-longs. I did, however, discover that I really don't like 12 stringers and much prefer the 6. Serves me right for not taking mine.

Good to get home smelling of Glenfiddich and wood-smoke.

lol Al,
glad to hear yer weekend turned out good too.

Only saw one guy wit hpipes, he was great!! A guy called Eill ( I tihnk thats how ye spell it)
Well, only one with the northumberland pipes if thats what they're called? ones with the bellow under the arm. He done funny poetry, great chants and fine songs.
One of his best was The portree kid by the corries, he done a superb version of it, had us all laughing.

ken

Ken , please look after your voice. I had a total rebuild of my vocal chords,etc ( vocal cords were paralysed by a virus ). You would not believe the problems and the effect it has on the rest of you . I couldnt sing for ages and I am a lecturer and it nearly finished me , but I found a wonderful surgeon and he has fixed it . It will never be 100% but its bloody close ! I wouldnt wish what I went through on any body.

Ray

A five yr old could understand this. Somebody fetch a five yr old !
Groucho Marx

cheers Ray,
Good to know you can still sing, something  iplan to do for a long time to come.

I think I have a good course in this breathing exersises and going back in 3 weeks to the ENT. I am told he is a good doctor, so I will entrust him with my nodule.
He says it is in very early stages and the speech therapy could, or might reverse it, but even if it has to come out it will not be that bad. He and the speech therapist have seen a lot worse and heard a lot worse so I am sure I will be fine.

Hanx

Ken

Hi upyer, as a PRO, continue these exercises. I lost my voice too, I think I still have this infection, and I should take something.I was a doc in the biggest theatre too, here in Belgium, more, I even played a few times "director" for some scenes, like, when a character died. But they learned me a lot.
I had a special medical "composition" with eucalyptus and more.
Today, you can find these bottles in a drug store, I don't know about other countries, but the name is OLBAS, you can use it PURE, INHALATIONS, and the results were spectacular.
If needed, I can always try to find my "magic" formula back, and mail you the ingredients, and a pharmacist can make them.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

cheers phil.
We have Olbas here too, I think it is minging though .:lol:
I bought some when my vicks inhaler ran out, used it for a while then got really sick of the smell. I love vicks though, I could get addicted snorting that al lthe time. I have not sniffed it for a while now. Which reminds me I must buy some on Sunday when I am out at the shop.

Ken