Re: Jealous spouses...

not all men mind you just the overgrown tired ones

mind you not all men, just the tired stubborn and out dated ones, that counts for gardens as well

jerome.oneil wrote:

I can always get a new girl.  New guitars are harder to come by...

wonder wot the girls think of that one. shows a lot about your thoughts of the opposite sex. actually they mirror my thoughts on men

My wife gets a little jelous too of practicing once or twice a week, taking most of the day Saturday to set up the PA, playing late Sat nights, and sometimes half of Sunday taking the PA down.  Its a lot of work for not enough money.  But I love it.  Ive been playing since I was about 10 years old.  Im 41 now.  Im not gonna stop.  And she doesent like the bar scene, so she doesent come with me.  But I try to make time for her the other nights, and the band will take a weekend off every so often so we can be with families.  Anyway, life is always interesting.  Do what you love doing.

Bobby
kickin.ws

geraldine,
  I may be a little "over grown and out dated", but dont chop my weeds yet:  I still bloom on occasion!     lol

Bobby
kickin.ws

geraldine.e wrote:

detman, its freaky but you could be talking bout me. same problem mate, husband not gutair, ive been playing gutair for about 12 years and in all that time never once has my husband gave any support or even comment on one single piece of music i was playing except to say where i was going wrong. few years ago, under the influence, he admitted he was jealous of my musical ability. denieded it afterwards, but that explained so much. think we should get together and write a song about it. noticed you adress your subject as fellow chordians, i do the same.  freaky!

Wow, that's quite a common set of circumstances.  And quite sad that he would choose to come down on you rather than learn from you and join you in your fun. Man, that really just sucks. I'm sure that there is some of the same jealousy in my wife.

I'm still suffering to this day, I have found an escape though....
I play at work!!
On my lunch breaks and mini-breaks I whip out the LP and Jam with my co-worker who has an acoustic yamaha. She strums the chords/rhythm and sings while I play lead and support. We have played "Zombie" by the Cranberries and "Karma Chameleon" by Culture Club for the hospital crowd. We didn't get any claps but we did see a few people bobbing to the beat.

I can't wait until the backpacker guitars that I bought for my co-worker and I arrive next week. She is going to LOVE IT!! Then we won't have to lug around our heavy guitars and cases with us to work. We will have nice 2-pound acoustic guitars to play with.

I know it's harsh but I have to discount my wife's opinion and ignore it if I am going to do this the way I need to.
Sad...but it must come to be. This is my dream...not hers.

=]
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

bobby6string wrote:

geraldine,
  I may be a little "over grown and out dated", but dont chop my weeds yet:  I still bloom on occasion!     lol

ok ill put the axe away lol big_smile

After reading some of those posts, especially geraldines aboutn her hubby being jealous of her musical ability, it has made me think.
ithink i am a wee bit jealous of my wife's musical abillity too. Although I can strum away and write a few songs which she cant, or doesnt want to try, she can finger pluck properly and makes it look so easy, yet she is crap at strumming. She is good/half decent on the violin for a beginner, she can pick up a tin whistle or recorder and start getting the right notes straight away , even a harmonica. And also because the mandolin is tuned the same as a violin she can do all the wee lead part on the violin where I just strum the mandolin chords.

So, yeah, I am jealous she has a better ear or abillity to play and jam more than me.

But the two of us together work quite well as long as I dont try something and fail for her to pick it up and show me when she has never done it before herself,lol.

Aye, i got a cracker!!

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Is it normal to have a name for your guitar or is it just me....?

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded."
-Jimi Hendrix

Man, what a thread....

Seems that all spouses should want to see their partner happy.  Seems that we should selflessly derive happiness from seeing our loved one happy.  Seems that selfishness leads to a lot of heartache in this world.

Rhiannon wrote:

Normal, I call my acoustic Etta after the great blues singer
Etta James. What's yours called??

..Badeye.

one caper after another

My wife love's the fact that I started playing guitar.She's after me all the time to play a few for her. After all she bought  it for me for a Xmas present and was probably the best present ever.  Wow this guitar helped me quit smoking ciggeretts, one year Oct. 15. Cut down on watching television too. We love kitchens jams with friends, fiddles, and guitars. This is an interesting thread.

...Badeye.

one caper after another

badeye wrote:

My wife love's the fact that I started playing guitar.She's after me all the time to play a few for her. After all she bought  it for me for a Xmas present and was probably the best present ever.  Wow this guitar helped me quit smoking ciggeretts, one year Oct. 15. Cut down on watching television too. We love kitchens jams with friends, fiddles, and guitars. This is an interesting thread.

...Badeye.

Ah, we are the lucky few Badeye,
My wife too loves the fact that I'm a guitar player. As a matter of fact when we found out she was pregnant with our son she not only gave me the wonderful gift of being a father but she also bought me the guitar I've wanted for 25+ years.(Gibson J-45) My guitar playing helps to enable  us to keep our son out of daycare. She works during the day and I work at night. My practice time during the day has been reduced to whenever the little guy naps but it's enough time to be sufficient. Good luck with the cigarettes, I'm goin' through a nicotine battle too(snuff,Copenhagen). Had a scare at the dentists office and gave up the snuff stuff 7 months ago. I dipped for 27 years so I kinda feel your pain. Music is great withdraw therapy for many things.

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L(Toney)

Give everything but up.

I hear ya SouthPaw. Good luck with the no snuff. Not an easy thing to do. I smoked for almost 30 years. I tell you it makes a difference not smoking. More energy,feel way better, and the food taste great. Your right Peace and Guitars.

Take Care...Badeye.

one caper after another

Cigarettes have always been my battle. Smoke for a few years quit for a few. I just seem to always go back to smoking. Leana said it in another thread... I Hate them and I love them...... quite frustrating as my rational side knows its a lazy suicide and my mind just keeps me comming back to tobbaco.....

Michel

I may be goin' to hell in a bucket babe

badeye wrote:
Rhiannon wrote:

Normal, I call my acoustic Etta after the great blues singer
Etta James. What's yours called??

..Badeye.

Glad it's not only me!
I named my guitars after the music that influenced me most at the time; I was 12 when i got my first electric guitar and absolutely loved T.Rex and DireStraits so it's called Marck.....I got an acoustic this summer named Rory, after the great blues rock guitarist rory gallagher.

See, I'm interested now: anyone else name their instrument, and if so what and why?

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded."
-Jimi Hendrix