1 (edited by johncross21 2007-09-21 20:05:31)

Topic: Women and Guitars

A while ago I asked you all to help me compile a list of outstanding women guitarists because I was disappointed that many great guitarist were overlooked in readers polls for guitar magazines

What I want this time is the best performances. I want your favorite song by a female guitarist preferably one with some distinguished guitar parts in them 

Here is the short list of artist from last time (this time I want songs) -

Rock/alternative
Tanya Donnelly (Throwing Muses, Breeders, Belly, Tanya Donnelly)
Kristen Hersh (Throwing muses, Kristen Hersh)
PJ Harvey
Avril Lavigne
Liz Phair
Ani Difranco
Gabriela (instrumentalist, Rodrigo y Gabriela)
Shawn Colvin
Joan Jett (Joan Jett and the Blackhearts)
Jennifer Batten (instrumentalist - performs with Michael Jackson, Jeff Beck and others) 
Melissa Etheridge

Rock/Folk/Country/Blues
KT Turnstall
Colbie Caillat
Sheryl Crow
Emmy Lou Harris
Bonnie Raitt 
Jewel

Classical
Liona Boyd
Charo (flamenco)
Lily Afshar

Re: Women and Guitars

Chrissie Hind??

All I got, is a red guitar, three chords and the truth

3 (edited by johncross21 2007-09-21 16:16:44)

and why not, indeed

the pretenders did some excellent songs and I recommended one of them on this forum just last week as a romantic ballad, I think it was " back on the chain gang" 

i left out some good players - nancy wilson,  joni mitchell, lita ford, eva cassidy because they aren't regularly recording (or sadly departed) but I'll put Chrissie Hyndes back if there's popular demand

A biy soppy but....

Eva Cassidy?

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

Anyone heard of Rosie Thomas? Great voice!

I've been trying to find tabs to her songs (especially "Gradually"). It's hard to find. Even her music on youtube is hard to find sad. If anyone knows some good resources, please send them my way smile.

johncross21 wrote:

A while ago I asked you all to help me compile a list of outstanding women guitarists because I was disappointed that many great guitarist were overlooked in readers polls for guitar magazines

What I want this time is the best performances. I want your favorite song by a female guitarist preferably one with some distinguished guitar parts in them 

Here is the short list of artist from last time (this time I want songs) -

Rock/alternative
Tanya Donnelly (Throwing Muses, Breeders, Belly, Tanya Donnelly)
Kristen Hersh (Throwing muses, Kristen Hersh)
PJ Harvey
Avril Lavigne
Liz Phair
Ani Difranco
Gabriela (instrumentalist, Rodrigo y Gabriela)
Shawn Colvin
Joan Jett (Joan Jett and the Blackhearts)
Jennifer Batten (instrumentalist - performs with Michael Jackson, Jeff Beck and others) 
Melissa Etheridge

Rock/Folk/Country/Blues
KT Turnstall
Colbie Caillat
Sheryl Crow
Emmy Lou Harris
Bonnie Raitt 
Jewel

Classical
Liona Boyd
Charo (flamenco)
Lily Afshar

Of all the above mentioned classical woman guitarst not included in this observation. The only true guitar playing woman you mentioned are Bonnie Raitt & Jennifer Batten they play more than rythm and know theirway around a guitar neck.

Bootlegger.

I'm with Alvee33 on this one. I'm a die hard Eva Cassidy fan. As far as I'm concerned anything she plays on guitiar, or piano for that matter is excellent - let alone that voice! On acoustic try "Ain't no sunshine" or electric and acoustic on "The Letter"

Amy MacDonald.

Her album, This Is The Life, is a damned good one. Although it's more or less a strum along, not too many distinguished guitar parts, it's certainly worth a listen.

Craig.

Blind acceptance is a sign, of stupid fools who stand in line.  John Lydon.

'Mod' is a shorter word for 'young, beautiful and stupid' - we've all been there." - Pete Townshend.

Bootlegger wrote

"Of all the above mentioned classical woman guitarst not included in this observation. The only true guitar playing woman you mentioned are Bonnie Raitt & Jennifer Batten they play more than rythm and know theirway around a guitar neck."

Have to disagree

some of the aforementioned are better known as singer songerwriters than guitarist - but
i would say that there are a number who are outstanding instrumentalists and would distinguish themselves in a band even without the bonus of writing their own songs and singing

i think you are being overly influenced by the fact that Raitt and Batten play blues/rock derived lead guitar and that has become the gold standard by which guitarists are judged  - there are other styles of guitar which deserve recogniton too (folk, alternative).

i heard this new girl taylor swift do an in studio solo of tim mcgraw, nuthin but her and the guitar. I was actually pretty impressed that she could actually play and sang well without all the fixer ups.

All You Need is Love smile

johncross21 wrote:

Bootlegger wrote

"Of all the above mentioned classical woman guitarst not included in this observation. The only true guitar playing woman you mentioned are Bonnie Raitt & Jennifer Batten they play more than rythm and know theirway around a guitar neck."

Have to disagree

some of the aforementioned are better known as singer songerwriters than guitarist - but
i would say that there are a number who are outstanding instrumentalists and would distinguish themselves in a band even without the bonus of writing their own songs and singing

i think you are being overly influenced by the fact that Raitt and Batten play blues/rock derived lead guitar and that has become the gold standard by which guitarists are judged  - there are other styles of guitar which deserve recogniton too (folk, alternative).

As mentioned above I mentioned them for their playing ablities not their skills as singer/song writers. Your correct in your observation.

Bootlegger.

Anyone heard of Sandy Denny? excellent singer/songwriter, played guitar really well too.

"Sometimes you want to give up the guitar, you'll hate the guitar. But if you stick with it, you're gonna be rewarded."
-Jimi Hendrix

I absolutely love the way Joan Baez Plays Guitar..

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Nancy Wilson is one of my all time favs

Bobby
kickin.ws

Billy Joe Spears - Blanket on the ground , LUV it !!

A five yr old could understand this. Somebody fetch a five yr old !
Groucho Marx

bobby6string wrote:

Was waiting for Nancy to show up in this thread.  Incredible player.  Just catch her latest Led Zep covers - really good stuff.

The chick that plays guitar for Paul Shaeffer's Band on Dave Letterman is a freakin' monster of a player. Her name is Felicia Collins. Also, a young lady played bass for John Mellencamp a few years back and she was spectacular. Her name is Me'Shell NdegeOcello and she is one of the most gifted stringed instrument players of all time. If you don't believe me look her up and listen to her...........

Give everything but up.

Sister Rosetta Tharpe

I am playing all the right notes - but not necessarily in the right order! [Eric Morecombe]

can you remember MARY HOPKINS .SANG," ALL KINDS OF EVERYTHING"
DOLLY PARTON...

love is life ,life is for love,keep a true heart and live life to the full....stay cool

Carol Kaye

I am playing all the right notes - but not necessarily in the right order! [Eric Morecombe]

Hey Su Melton , wonder if we are related - not a common name where I'm from - Australia

Groucho Marx

Ray
Not too common in UK, but 1000;s in US.
What music do you play Ray

WeaserP wrote:
bobby6string wrote:

Was waiting for Nancy to show up in this thread.  Incredible player.  Just catch her latest Led Zep covers - really good stuff.

Yeah I was about to add her in, so surprised she wasn't mentioned first!

After the last thread asking the same question about good women guitar players, I might have to admit now there are a lot of good women guitar players after seeing all those name.
lol
but have ye seen them drive? lol

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Hi Sue , my ancestors were English and Irish, no Americans that I know !  I play a bit of everything but mainly Folk and stuff from '60's and 70's, Gordon Lightfoot, Johnny Cash etc etc ! What about yourself ? smile

Groucho Marx