Topic: Another untitled gospel song form last rebel....

I wrote these verses a while back and finally came up with a chorus, so here  it is.
There's a few nods at old gospel songs in here for anybody who knows any old hymns and southern gospel music....
I play this with a capo on first fret (im pretty sure thats Ab) because it fits my voice, but im gonna write it in G and you can play it anywhere you like.
(This is more of a southern gospelly sound not so much bluegrass as the last one. The tempo's actually kind of similar to 'my bucket's gotta hole in it' lol...'course if anybody wants to change the tempo a bit to make it bluegrassy that works too but the seventh chords aint as much fun to me that way)

At the end of every line strum a few beats before you sing the next line, technically its one measure i think...

G                                                         
Well I heard the preacher preachin' 
                                    G7 
talkin' bout the other side   
  C                                             C7
I heard the preacher preachin'
                                    G
talkin' bout the other side
                             D7
He said there is a Gospel Ship
                          G
Do you want to ride?

CHORUS:
G
Well won't you come?
                   G7
Won't you come?
                    C
Won't you come
       C7                   G
His arms are open wide
G
Don't you know?
                  G7
Don't you know?
                 D7
It was for you
                               G
the blessed savior died?

Well I talked to a blind man
Who said he'd got back his sight
Talked to a blind man
Who said he'd recieved sight
Said I was once blind myself
Then I saw the light

Met a woman at the well
And she told me she'd never thirst
I met a woman at a well
who said she'd never thirst
Said she'd found the living water
but she had to meet Jesus first

Anyway it's fun to play around with cuz new verses are easy to come up with. Anybody who wants to can add thier own even if they like. I mostly worte this as an excuse to play lots of C7s (not sure what exactly i love about that chord so much but I'm always slippin' it in everything lol)

All You Need is Love smile

2 (edited by selso 2007-09-05 16:05:17)

Re: Another untitled gospel song form last rebel....

i dont have much to add but what a great song. i dont think gospel gets enough respect. theres this song called" every humble knee must bow"  i dont know who wrote it but the nashville bluegrass band does a really good version of it.  there on rounder records so if you ever come across it check it out

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

hmmm..... you know that name sounds familiar actually. I come across so many gospel songs, my dad's a preacher/music director (well mostly music director for about ten years after my mom left), that its hard to keep up with all of them.
As you may have noticed he's really cool about letting me listen to other music too, but he always instilled with me for a great appreciation of a very underrated music form. Having played both, I can say that gospel songs are alot of times harder to do than the country songs that seem so similar....
Anyway thanks for the compliments smile

hi last rebel i just sung it through like with a rap it was really cool...

love is life ,life is for love,keep a true heart and live life to the full....stay cool

hey reb, i like the name gospel ship. or maybe never thrist. i usally use a part of the words for a title. just a suggestion

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

selso wrote:

hey reb, i like the name gospel ship. or maybe never thrist. i usally use a part of the words for a title. just a suggestion

yeah thats a good idea, except that was actually kind of a hint at some other old gospel songs called 'Tis the Old Ship of Zion' and 'The Gospel Ship"..... Never Thirst sounds pretty good though. I thought about calling it 'won't you come' but im thinking maybe thats too obvious....

Hi last rebel,
I love the mixture of songs here on the Forum.  Some of this song reminds me
of my old Catechism at school!..
We were singing one time for a weeks retreat
in our local church! Some down and outs used to hang out there begging!
One of them totally reformed  after this as he said " The Music and Words seeped into his wine sodden brain and changed something in him".
He was someones bundle of joy at Birth,and im glad to say he is now one of our Parishioners Bundle of Joy! So these words and songs are very important in life!
And i Thank You for this...

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Very nice song LR.  I've been wanting to play more Country Gospel but am having a hard time coming up with songs I can play.  As you said, they're a fair bit more difficult than regular Country tunes.  Some of the chords I think were designed to demonstrate that they cannot be played but with Divine Intervention.  This one's going into my book. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Hi Last Rebel,

Although I am not normally into Gospel songs I did enjoy playing and sing this one. Well done and thank you,

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Zurf wrote:

Very nice song LR.  I've been wanting to play more Country Gospel but am having a hard time coming up with songs I can play.  As you said, they're a fair bit more difficult than regular Country tunes.  Some of the chords I think were designed to demonstrate that they cannot be played but with Divine Intervention.  This one's going into my book. 

- Zurf

well here's a few of my favorites you might enjoy,

the great speckled bird

i'll fly away

the uncloudy day

angel band

can the circle be unbroken

i fell on my knees and cried holy

where the roses never fade

down to the river

i shall not be moved.....

i can play most of these pretty easy, mostly a simple one two three pattern thats not hard once you get the hang of it.

Hey Reb - Nice one indeed. It's fun to play fast ...or as fast as I can at least

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

12 (edited by Zurf 2007-10-02 16:48:18)

Hey LR.  I really, really, really like this one.  I've played it through a few times, but not quite as you suggest (shocker).  It's a little tough to read from the printout in my book, so I'm going to rewrite it.  When I get together with my buddies and they hear a new song, they usually say, "Who wrote that?"  (They'd know it wouldn't be me).  Anyway, I'm going to write it to credit of Last Rebel in my book, but if you'd rather me to use your real name with my friends and such, just send it to me in an e-mail.  If it's nothing to you to use Last Rebel, then it's nothing to me.  I just want to make sure credit is given where credit is due. 

Plus I'm thinking they'll come up with some new ones.  Like about a man who couldn't walk, or about a thief on a cross, or about a king who wouldn't hear, and maybe slip in some everyday stuff to really bring it home. 

I just can't tell you how much I appreciate your sharing this wonderful piece of work. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

well i'm not one who intends to ever do much of anything besides have a bit of fun with my writing, so credits not a huge deal for me, so last rebel's fine. Dont think my dad would appreciate me sending out personal info so sorry about that.

No worries and a very sensible approach.  I thought it was fair for you to have the opportunity. 

- Zurf