Topic: PHISH

I did post some time ago a similar topic. I know they stopped playing. BUT PHISH is a fascinating phenomenon. They have a huge amount of songs, and they started as a small obscure group, having a tremendous number of fans at the end. There are similarities with the GRATEFUL DEAD.
But I am more interested in the fact that they played "Dark Side of the Moon" entirely. ARE THEIR COVERS REAL THAT GOOD?
__________________________________________________________________________________

GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: I DON'T LIKE PHISHing, SPAM AND SPOOF

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: PHISH

I used maybe wrong phrases, but why is PHISH so popular?
Is their success thanks top their COVERS? Or is it something else

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Phish, in my opinion, was very deserving of the huge success they achieved. They are 4 virtuosos on their respective instruments. They came along in the right time as well. I'll expand; When Jerry Garcia died the Grateful Dead pretty much was over. The Dead still play and are wonderful but the magic of the Grateful Dead vanished with Garcia's passing. Phish also incorporated many of the wonderful elements of a Grateful Dead show such as unusual covers(they do an all-vocal cover of Freebird), long, wonderful variated jams with soloing from each member of the band,beautiful light shows, catchy simple recognizeable songs and mind blowing intricate masterpieces. They snatched up the 2nd generation 'Dead Heads' and ran with it. Why Phish split up is just too bizarre for me to even start to understand. The solo stuff Trey Anastasio does is cool and all but it's nothing on the level of the stuff he did with Phish.

Many people associate Phish's music/concerts with drug use. Sure there was probably some drug use goin' on at their shows but doesn't that happen at most  all shows? I bet even some 'Christian' rock shows have a few people puffin' on some 'hippie lettuce' or lickin' small pieces of paper. I only hope the possibility of drug use at their shows doesn't turn away a potential listener of their 'near spritual sound'. Phish was as good as any band ever in a live setting. If you haven't heard recording of them doin' their thing, I strongly urge you to give it a chance..............

Gone Phishin',
SouthPaw41L(Toney)

Give everything but up.

Thanks, we never had a phenomenon like the GRATEFUL DEAD, or PHISH. When Garcia (we knew that the grateful dead existed, but that's it) and if you should ask here in Europe something about PHISH, most people would say: WHO???
I know about their existence since 2000-2001, when we had still NAPSTER, and when I was unable to work because of my car accident.
All the countries here (most of them) form EUROPE, this sounds crazy, but what Hitler couldn't realise by loosing WWII, well we start now to be more and more a so called 1 entity, existing by the grace of countries, having or a president or a King.
I am convinced that PHISH or the GRATEFUL DEAD didn't need Europe, and I don't know if they had concerts here, but what I know was that a concert of the DEAD was a huge gathering. I just know one name: JERRY GARCIA, so what was he like? a kind of "mentor" as leader of the DEAD, a guru?

Jerry was the lead guitarist and sang lead vocals on many of the Grateful Deads tunes. 3 part vocal harmonies were in almost every G.D. song so Jerry sang harmony on many songs as well. Garcia was also the groups most outspoken member and more times than not he handled most of the press/media questions. Jerry also contributed to many of the lyric writing tasks with Robert Hunter(not a member of the band, just their lyricist). Jerry was many times the face of the band and his fuzzy,burly appearance was the prototype for the Grateful Deads mascot dancing bears.  Garcia was a gracious, intelligent, gentle, human beeing with a stong, savy sense for the business side of music. He also has a largely succesful line of neck ties as well. Here's a link to shine a little more light on the Grateful Dead and Jerry Garcia;

http://www.rukind.org/

Give everything but up.

Did Jerry Garcia lived very good being a musician? I mean financially?

gitaardocphil wrote:

Did Jerry Garcia lived very good being a musician? I mean financially?

Yes, very good. His estate still generates massive income. In the early days of the Grateful Dead the band struggled for a short time financially. But as time went on and their popularity grew the $$ started rolling in. Jerry Garcia was a very wise businessman as well as an incredibly talented and gifted musician.

Give everything but up.

gitaardocphil wrote:

I used maybe wrong phrases, but why is PHISH so popular?

Doc ...been contemplating that one  for a while too..

Go WINGS..and Tigers,Lions and Reading F.C...C'mon Royals

dada, the opinions about phish are different, so I agree with you. What I heard is not bad, but is it correct to write that 50% of their songs are covers, like dark side of the moon?

proubly off the subject but did anybody catch oysterhead when they were around? it was les claypool from primus, trey from phish and stewart copland from the police. great three piece

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

No, sorry gitaardocphil, it is incorrect to write that 50% of their songs are covers. Phish, like almost every band to ever play a show anywhere, anyplace, anytime, would throw in the ocassional 'cover song'. 90% or more of the songs Phish played in concert or recorded in the studio were their own creations. Here are a few links to confirm this statement;

http://www.phish.net/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phish

Give everything but up.

Phish is my all time favorite band, so to answer the original question, "Are all of Phish's covers that good?"  I think so.  I've personally seen them play songs from The Who's Quadrophenia, Also Sprach Zarathustra (2001 theme), Peaches en Regallia (Zappa!), A barbershop quartet version of Amazing Grace, Boogie on Reggae Woman, Jesus Just Left Chicago (ZZ Top) and Frankenstein (Edgar Winter) just to name a few. 

If you get the chance search for and listen to some of the covers they do.  SouthPaw41L hit the nail on the head as far as the reason for their popularity, they are all virtuosos on their instruments.  They were extremely tight when they were on, which was often.  Sure, they had their "not so good nights", but the reason they sounded so good is that they could jam out any song, bring it in to outer space and then bring it back to earth again.  They listened to each other play and reacted accordingly.  The thing that they did very well was create tension, then resolve it.  Trey plays blistering leads and interesting melodies,  Mike keeps the funky bass popping, Page keeps everyone in check and Fishman is.......just Fishman, he has incredible timing and can play a mean vacuum. 

Their original songs are of course my favorite.  The beauty of Phish is that they could play ten songs in ten different styles.  Bluegrass, Funk, Rock, Reggae, Classical, Jazz, Zydeco, Calypso, Disco, A cappella, Punk, R&B, Blues, Fusion, Ambient Trance.........name it and I bet they've tried it.  They challenged themselves and also challenged the listener. 

"A Picture of Nectar" is one of my favorite studio albums, but the TRUE experience of Phish is in the LIVE SHOW!! 

"Set the gearshift for the high gear of your soul.........."

Peace in.  Peace out.