1 (edited by last_rebel 2007-10-05 19:21:03)

Topic: a song i couldn't write

Last night I was listnin' to some waylon and willie (and this was not just another good hearted woman, luchenbach, record it was the actual waylon and willie record), and as usual it made me jealous and put me in the mood to write (dang you willie nelson lol), but for some reason i got the worst case of writer's block.... so finally after i'd used up half my notebook i wrote this little ditty about not being able to write a song...
it has a willie nelsonish type rythym by the way.

I've wasted too much paper
Tryin' to write a song that just won't come
Seems I've lost my way
To wherever songs come from
But if I was a little sadder
Or if the voice inside my mind
Would remind who I was
and who I am just one more time,

CHORUS
Then I would write a sad song,
That would make the whole world cry,
Then maybe I'd feel better
And could go back to getting by

This pen that I'm holding
Just won't turn out no more songs
I'm not sure if I'm just up too late
Or if my blues are finally gone
But if I could just remember
Everything I want to say
Or all the feelings I'd forgotten
About my younger days
CHORUS

Well anyway there it is, not much for the time i put into trying to get it to come out but it is what it is

All You Need is Love smile

Re: a song i couldn't write

hi last rebel like james has said many times write your ideas down and you can refer to them later to give yourself ideas for future songs...stay cool...

love is life ,life is for love,keep a true heart and live life to the full....stay cool

Great line about 'lost my way to wherever songs come from' - I love it.
Also like the idea of feeling better by making the world cry with a sad song.

As I was reading your lines, I was hearing the twang and smelling the honkytonk air.
This will be a real good one once you get into the mood to finish it out with some chords.

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

yeah it was pretty late and i finally nearly fell asleep while i was writing it so i decided to wait till later to finish it up. I think it needs a nice fiddle or stell guitar and some smooth easy pickin'.... but it'll probly end up with some waltzish type strumming and maybe a minor chord here and there.

Rebel.
I think I have said this once or twice, and what I am going to say has nothing to do with the half botttle of wine I am currently going thru just now ( got another bottle after I finish this one,lol)
But, I love this song. It may just be one of the best ones I have played from reading other people's songs ( and I have done a few and forgetten a few)
this song is a simple easy superb song. Lyrics are just the dogs bollocks ( for anyone that doesnt know dogs bollocks is really good)
So good I am keeping this. i am not too sure how a willie sort of neslon way this should be played but I was thinking of a sort of american folky country feel to it and I am saving this and going to record this thru the weekend.
I have made some chords up for it and changed a word or two ( hope you dont mind) to suit me singing it better. Nothing wrong with the way you wrote it. It is just hard sometimes to think of how someone esle wants it to actually sound.
thank you for posting this. When I record it I will let you be the first to hear it on my bebo or youtube page. I might do it youtube with me instead of one of my " getting predictable" videos,lol.

cheers
ken
C                                 F
I've wasted too much paper
C                                               G
Tryin' to write a song that  won't come
C                            F
Seems I've lost my way
C                  G                 C
To wherever songs come from
But if I was a little sadder
Or if I hear a voice inside my mind
Would it  remind who I was
and who I am this time,

CHORUS
G                            C
Then I would write a sad song,
                  G                             C
That would make the whole world cry,
         G                      C  ( stop strumming)
Then maybe I'd feel better
                      F           G        C            ( strum each chord once then go into rythum on C)
And could go back to getting by

This pen that I'm holding
Just won't turn out no more songs
I'm sure if I'm just up too late
But if I could just remember
Everything I want to say
Or all the feelings I'd forgotten
About my younger days
CHORUS

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

i think we all can relate. the trick is to just wait for it to come. what ever that means. iif you try to force it , its never gonna come out right great start,though

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

I'm sure if I'm just up too late
first of all let me say im flattered that someone would want to record it, secondly a willie nelsonish type sound is folkish countryish, but he has a unique rythym and this was similar. These lines (srry for the typo) are SUPPOSED to say

I'm NOT sure if i'm just up too late,
or if my blues are finally gone.....

But do it anyway you like. Looking forward to seeing the video smile

Ok,
I have taped me doing this but will take a while. I am going to experiment on video making.
I am going to see if I can now record it on the studio, put some extra vocals over the top and maybe the mandolin or uke ( wish I could play the violin) thats the easy part. Hard part is trying to do this and put the video on with my lips moving in time to the recorded version as well as a few clips of me with the mandolin.
I will spend a few hours on this today hopefully, if not today it will have to wait a few weeks. I dont want that so must do it today.

Also, since I was drinking the other night when I wrote down chords for this, I have no idea how I was playing it so I think I have change it slightly again,lol. Not much though.

Ken

Hi Last Rebel.

Oh  So good..I would really love to learn this one myself!

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

lol maybe thats a good thing you changed it if you were drinking when you wrote them down.... once again looking forward to hearing it. The madolin would sound awesome with this song, (and the fiddle too but like you i dont know anybody who plays one sad)

problems already.
I got it recorded on my camcorder but that has decided it is not playing the game of working proplery just now. It does it every now and then after I try and zoom in.
But it will not affect it. I just cannot get it on computer right now.

And I do know someone that can play fiddle. My wife!! but she is not very helpful that way when it comes to me with songs unless it is one she knows sad

It might take a while but this is number one on my list of things to do regarding music/videos/guitars/computer.

Ken

12 (edited by upyerkilt 2007-10-10 20:20:33)

ok last rebel.
I am uploading the video just now for this song.
iam putting it onto the chordie chordians thing on youtube that guitarpixx made up.

http://www.youtube.com/group/Chordians

I could not do the video like I thought I would. So I just chucked on the raw uncensored,unedited and un professional version of it,lol

hope I have not destroyed your song too much

Ken

p.s. since I am just uploading it this minute, it may not be there if you look right ow or the next 15 minutes.

k,
just nopticed I have to wait until guitarpixx accepts the videos, so I have it on my own youtube page too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Qg76qK4jo8

let me know what you think and be as harsh as you like. I dont mind critisism

Ken

No need to be harsh Ken smile
its a little bit bouncier and upbeat than what I planned on, but I actually like it. The chord progression was really nice, similar to what ive been playing around with. I'm just tickled to be able to hear it on here, kind of cool hearing come together from a listeners point of view.
Its almost a shame I didn't write a lead part to it, would sound cool with some picking over that instrumental break you do, but then you need more than one person for that really... anway im just talkin' to hear my head rattle anyhow.
Anyway good job.... its funny how the tune sounded a lot like what I was aiming at (a bit faster but once again it sounds good that way).

Ah Son!
Your Irish Ma is so proud of you. "Very well Done"

Now get your feet down off my couch please!  Lol.

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

pmsl,
sorry maw

And thank you, and thanks rebel.
I actually done it a bit slower afew times before. I dont know if it is when i record me i want it over and done with so I tend to play it faster?

I will rerecord it on the studio and add other instruments sometime

Ken

Hi Rebel,

You do not need a second guitarist to play the lead part. Record the rhythm to CD, play the CD and the play the lead to it whilst recording both together.

I will go and listen to Ken's recording now.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Hey nice job Ken!!

Why don't you get a haircut, hippie.

In Admiration of Your Work,
SouthPaw41L(Toney)

Give everything but up.

upyerkilt wrote:

k,
just nopticed I have to wait until guitarpixx accepts the videos, so I have it on my own youtube page too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Qg76qK4jo8

let me know what you think and be as harsh as you like. I dont mind critisism

Ken

Hey ken, I took care of that problem all vids should now go straight to the group.  Peace!

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Hi Rebel and Ken,

Well done the pair of you. The collaboration has worked very well to produce a great song and a nice, relaxed performance from you Ken (but you should keep your feet of the settee or Mrs Upyerkilt will bat your tab lol)

Thanks to both of you,

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

SouthPaw41L wrote:

Hey nice job Ken!!

Why don't you get a haircut, hippie.

In Admiration of Your Work,
SouthPaw41L(Toney)

Funny you should say that, lol
the day after doing that I shaved all my hair off again. So thats it  neat and tidy for another 8 - 10 weeks.

Ken

Roger Guppy wrote:

Hi Rebel and Ken,

Well done the pair of you. The collaboration has worked very well to produce a great song and a nice, relaxed performance from you Ken (but you should keep your feet of the settee or Mrs Upyerkilt will bat your tab lol)

Thanks to both of you,

Roger

Cheers Roger.
My wife has not seen this video so she doesnt know ,lol. I do it all the time and she hates it, just as well I have no dirty boots on lol

Ken