Topic: THE MOST OBVIOUS BUT ALWAYS FORGOTTEN QUESTION

This is a nice one, not because of the fact that I say it.
BUT:
WHAT IS OR BETTER WAS THE FIRST SONG YOU COULD PLAY?
- "The House of The Rising Son"

Well, who is in? Let's go back in time, playing on a (often lousy) guitar, and thinking YES, I can play guitar.
We learned so much already on Chordie, but again: FIRST SONG ON GUITAR.
I exclude all other instruments, piano too.
ENJOY YOURSELF

GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: I PLAYED THAT SONG IN HOTEL CALIFORNIA AND IN EUROPE IN THE HILTON IN PARIS

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: THE MOST OBVIOUS BUT ALWAYS FORGOTTEN QUESTION

(Take me home) Country Roads - John Denver

Still enjoy playing it. Not quite as bad at it now as I was then. (Still not good though but at least I enjoy it)

David

Gutar Player, Singer, Entertainer  - At least in my own mind.

hard one for me to answer.
I think I learned 3 at the same time so I am not sure which one exactly was first, but it was between

KNocking on heaven's door ( played wrong, I never used Am just G D and C)
I used to love her......Guns'n'roses
or House of the rising sun.

I think the first one I could play right through properly though would have been house of the risisng sun as well.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Ain't it sweet, that's why I used this title: for a lot of us it's been a long time.
Do guys think the same thing: I felt like a kind of "GUITAR GOD" because I could play a song. I couldn't even tune my guitar properly, I still have to smile, since I asked this.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

5 (edited by badeye 2007-10-19 10:23:20)

The first songs I learned were:

"Dark as a Dungeon"   by Merle Travis

"Plane Ole Miner Boy"  by Men of the Deeps

"Daisy a Day" by Judd Strunk

Cool thread. Still play these songs.

....Badeye.

one caper after another

Jesus, badeye, never heard about these songs and performers. This proofs again how wonderful chordie is, I try to trace them.

7 (edited by badeye 2007-10-19 10:33:07)

Good Morning Doc Phill, The only one of the three I could not find on Chordie is "Plain Ole Miner Boy" I found that song in an old book of Miner songs my Dad had a few years back. A song about a Coal Miners everyday struggle.

Hope you have a great day Doc.

...Badeye.

P S : Congrats on your becoming an Administrator .

one caper after another

Mine was either Julie by the Levellers (a 3 chord classic) or Fiddler's Green by the Tragically Hip (a 3 chord classic)

Still love to play them!  I did try to start with Hotel California but Bm to F# and Em to F# were beyond me!

Bonedaddy

I'm the son of rage and love

Buck Rogers by Feeder. I was actually playing the base line during the verse because the tab I bought was wrong!

Not going that far back in time for me.  I'm still working on playing my first song competently without having a chord chart in front of me.

The songs that I can play somewhat competently and only glance at the sheet now and then:
"Forever and Ever Amen" - Randy Travis
"My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys" - Willy Nelson
"Tin Cup Chalice" - Jimmy Buffett

The first song I ever attempted, "Jambalaya" - Hank Williams

I thought EVERYONE learned Jambalay first.  Now I learn that it's House of the Rising Sun.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I think I've broken a law; I've never even tried to play house of the rising sun...probably going to loose my chordie card over that one.
David, I tried Country Roads in the begining, but there is a Bm in the bridge that I couldn't do for three years. 
The first song I rememeber really working on was The River--Bruce Springsteen...I used to DREAM of playing it all the way through without messing up.
Leaving on a Jet Plane was one of my first as well.
Oh, and here's a confession--Highway 101 song that I love, "Whiskey, If you were a Woman"--a guy singing that song just isn't right, but I'd do it at the top of my lungs...as long as no one was listning.

The first song I conquered start to finish was "Bell Bottom Blues" by Derek and the Dominos. It took me 6 months but by garsh I did it!

Give everything but up.

I messed around with a few riffs, but the first song I learned all the way through was "CATS AND THE CRADLE" by Harry Capin. It was so long ago I forget how I used to play it. I've sinse been on chordie and tried all there versions, but they don't sound like I remember, but then again niether do I.

The first piece I learned was the intro too Sally Cinammon - Stone Roses.
First song I could strum through was Half The World Away - Oasis. That was also the song I made my big breakthrough....being able to sing n strum at the same time. Woohoo! smile

Still can't play anything in its entirety, riffs,solos etc. But I'm getting very close with Mollys Chamber - Kings Of Leon.

Craig.

Blind acceptance is a sign, of stupid fools who stand in line.  John Lydon.

'Mod' is a shorter word for 'young, beautiful and stupid' - we've all been there." - Pete Townshend.

On piano: Mary had a little lamb

On guitar: X-Stitic by "Foo Fighters"

big_smile
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

The old grey mare

Again, JESUS, I noticed that you where starting to play the really more complex songs.

Here in Europe, I think we played other songs. There is definitely a difference between US and European music.

BOXER.... Simon and Garfunkel!

aka ......   Boxer Petal....<3

19 (edited by arkady 2007-10-20 17:06:00)

Greensleeves (I blame the guitar tutor)  smile
Ark

Well Holy God,

My teacher thought me " The Star Of The County Down".

I wonder what was he thinking? Maybe  he found out i spend a lot of time up there..

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

first song i ever played was amazing grace.... the first song i ever played by ear was either 'old habits' by hank jr or 'today i started loving you again' i dont remember which, and the first song i ever tabbed by looking at music was 'heavenly sunlight'.

All You Need is Love smile

Sweet Home Alabama.

Well boxer, boxer was also one of the first songs. Great album, personal choice to play: "the only living boy in New York.

well heres another House of the Rising Son...

HAVE YOU
     HUGGED YOUR GUITAR
                                 TODAY??

The first song for me was Last Time. Rolling Stones. 3 easy chords and a good sing, it only took a couple of minuts to learn and yeah I'm still smiling.