Topic: wierd creak...

I was playing on one of my acoustics a few days ago, and the strap came off the bottom end and she fell to the ground sad
I picked her up and strummed and she still sounded the same, so obviously I was relieved.

However, now, whenever ANY pressure is applied to the back of the guitar it creaks. It isn't too noticable over usual acoustic strumming, but if I try and pick anything it is drowned out by the creak. Also, when I plug it, the creak drowns out anything that I play.

Does anyone know whats wrong with her??

Someone told me that it might be the bracing gone, in which case, is this expensive??

Thanks in advance...

Ben

It's not how well you play... It's how much effort you put into the playing

Re: wierd creak...

What kind of guitar is it ?

Well Ben, it depends as aj1 wrote, one brand is different from another, and 1 brand has even different types. Another possibility is, that it was already present before the "incident". Best solution: go see your guitar store, if the bracing has gone, you should hear it when shaking with the guitar. I had once a typical "gibson fracture": the neck, caused by transport by airplane where the seller "forgot" to detune the guitar. I could maybe repaired it myself, but they use special glue and the job is perfect. I should advise you an X-ray, when still practising.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Something's loose and rubbing with the vibration.  That's my inexpert wild guess.  Sounds to me like it's time for a luthier who is used to dealing with electronics to take a look at to see whether it's an inexpensive or a pricey repair. 

Here's hoping it's inexpensive. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

In answer to your question, shes a Stagg SW206CE-BK.
She's not my best or favourite guiar but I still don't want her to be damaged. gitaardocphil, I know that the break wasn't there before.
Zurf, I don't think it can be the electrics, as literally any pressure on the back of the guitar makes her creak.

Ben

vheissu wrote:

In answer to your question, shes a Stagg SW206CE-BK.
She's not my best or favourite guiar but I still don't want her to be damaged. gitaardocphil, I know that the break wasn't there before.
Zurf, I don't think it can be the electrics, as literally any pressure on the back of the guitar makes her creak.

Ben

I understand that you don't want your guitar to be damaged, but as you've dropped it and it is, you have three choices.

1. Put up with the creaking noise
2. Have the guitar looked at by a guitar tech and have him carry out any repairs.
3 Replace the guitar.

The Stagg SW206CE isn't an expensive guitar, I've seen them advertised for around the £70 mark, so rather than pay a fortune having it repaired you'd probably be better off replacing it.

I know what you mean aj. She wasn't expensive when I got her either.
I bought her around 2 years ago when I decided I wanted to start to play.
I've been thinking about replacing her for a while, but lack of funds and the fact my mum wont let me have any more guitars until we move because I already have too many has stopped me sad

If you really like the guitar it's worth waiting and saving for.
I've got guitars ranging from £69 to £3000 and love them all.
To tell the truth I don't play the £3000 Taylor as much as I do the £69 Peavey Briarwood in case I damage it.
If you can find an inexpensive guitar that sounds good and plays well, stick with it.

aj1,
If you should decide to replace the guitar, what are your plans for the old one?
Maybe you could give it to a local school or church or something. Even though it doesn't sound as good as it once did it would be good to teach someone with. It doesn't have to sound good to learn on it just has to be there forsomeone to learn their fingering on.
I've found that some old things that you donate are met with great appreciation. The person that receives it won't care how it sounds, just that it was a gift. With Christmas coming up it's a thought.

If you're not happy with what you have...
Then you'll never be happy with what you get...

Eagleeye I agree totally and I would donate the damaged guitar if it were mine and I'd finished with it.
Unfortunately it belongs to Vheissu and it looks like he may have to keep it a bit longer.
Great idea though. The Teenage Cancer Trust would be my choice.

11 (edited by johncross21 2007-11-09 21:10:03)

its broken. but  you have to pass through the stages of grief. denial, anger, depression and acceptance. are you ready to let go yet ?

if not,  take it to a guitar shop - get an estimate. the estimate will be free

i have had guitars fixed when buying new would be cheaper - its a musician thing

vheissu wrote:

Ben

Didn't think it was.  You said that when you plug in the creak drowns out what you're playing.  I'm thinking that something busted loose NEAR the pickups and that whatever is loose is rubbing.  Rubbing = vibrating.  Vibrations are what guitar electronics are all about reproducing well and loudly.  I figured the electronics are fine but that you've got a couple bits of wood rubbing against one another.   

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Cheers zurf, I'll look into that.
And johncross, I have already accepted it. But until I can get another acoustic I need to keep it as I have to use it for the church worship band.
Eagle, I was going to donate it if it was going to cost too much too repair, but again, I need to wait until I have another one.

Ben