Topic: Guitar effects

Been playing electric for about 6 months and want to try some effects. Anybody got any hints? ie what is the most popular and is there one that is considered a "must have"?
Thanks
ID

Re: Guitar effects

Try a multi-effects unit like the Zoom G2.1U. You should be able to find one online. If you're in the UK I'll post a link to one.

The most used is distortion, a limited version is built into most amps.

A cheap multi-effects box will allow you to try all the basic effects. Likewise an amp modeller has the same thing but with amps and speaker simulations built in. Once you've worked out which effects you can actually use getting them in a stomp box form can be the next level.

Pedal boxes range from cheap (Danelectro) to expensive (Electro-Harmonix) but you do get what you pay for. Some boxes are digital simulations of what was originally an analogue effect. Purists will argue that analogue is best; depending on when the effect originated that may mean a valve effect (alot of overdrives coming out now) or old style transistors (often shouts 'germanium' in the title). In the case of echo you'll see effects trying to emulate the sound of 50s tape echo, yep Hank Marvin/Dick Dale echo relied on a loop of tape being recorded and wiped endlessly.

If your amp doesn't have reverb then that would be a good start point. Compression is a subtle yet powerful effect, very useful for a country pick sound. Have fun.

'The sound of the city seems to disappear'

id go for the LINE 6 POD ive bought one and there great any sound u want is there from effects to different amps its great to run through any amp (just think if your bored of your marshall amp why not try a fender or even the vox AC30 or whatever its called) one problem is though its about £200 but its worth every penny u can also get a pedal board version to.

Try the Zoom G2.1U, you can get it for about £80:

http://www.musicstreet.co.uk/zoomg21ugu … db5df7f0c5

It has amp-modelling and each of the different effects.

iandraper wrote:

Been playing electric for about 6 months and want to try some effects. Anybody got any hints? ie what is the most popular and is there one that is considered a "must have"?
Thanks
ID

Her's a site I use very frequently. Excellent sevice, prompt deliveries, best prices on the i-net. Here are 1,725 options, some amps, but a ton of guitar effects. I like to read the reviews that buyers have submitted regarding product purchases. Happy shopping.......    SouthPaw41L

http://www.music123.com/Guitar-Amplifie … sic123?o=4

Give everything but up.

Hello Tibernius.
How is the ZOOM G2.1U? I read some comments,all pretty good.

to iandraper: please follow the advise of my friend SouthPaw41L.
Besides advise, I still don't know what's best. There are "single" effects, like 1 for distortion, and you can go on. My biggest problem is always the same, impatient, and I WANT IT ALL. This is a nasty habit.
So what happened, I think 10 years ago, I bought my first "effect processor", a floorboard ZOOM 8080 AND I BELIEVE THEY ARE STILL IN PRODUCTION. I adore effects. Important is also THE AMP. My first amp was a Marshall 100W Valvestate, real good and loud, with the basic effects like distortion, reverb, delay. About 5 years ago, I found on the Fender website "the Fender Cybertwin" 2X65W a KILLER. It is amazing, and still mysterious or miraculous how they make products like this. Go see the cybertwin, and judge for yourself. I am addicted to effect processors, and 7-8years ago I buyed a Boss VF 1: 400 patches (200 Preset 200 User)—including everything from COSM® Guitar Amp and Microphone. Fantastic device. But 2 years ago:  Line6 PODxt Live, genial floorboard. My best buy was and is a Korg PX4D Pandora. Amp modelling, effects and a RHYTHM SECTION on board. I play alone, and because of the different rhythms, my playing style changed: RHYTHM. All the effect processors I mentioned can be found on the web: the WHAT, the HOW, the POSSIBILITIES are on the internet. For me my little Pandora= best processor/price

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

I moved your topic to guitars and accessories

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

gitaardocphil wrote:

Hello Tibernius.
How is the ZOOM G2.1U? I read some comments,all pretty good.

It sounds good, has a decent amount of effects, only problem I can find with it is that you can't use all of the effects at once, but it isn't very likely that you would need to.

gitaardocphil wrote:

So what happened, I think 10 years ago, I bought my first "effect processor", a floorboard ZOOM 8080 AND I BELIEVE THEY ARE STILL IN PRODUCTION.

The Zoom 8080 has probably been replaced by one of the G series, possibly the G7.1ut.

That fact, I didn't know, I knew they were still sold a year ago, and even then, it had to be a hell of a processor, used so much.
Same about the BOSS VF1, in my possesion. I think I was more busy with floorboards+effects.
When I found out that it is still sold after all these years, I need to use it again. he only negative point is the fact that it is not easy to change 1 effect by another: you have to use your hands.

A processor I really want, is the one who can manage that your electric guitar sounds like a 100% acoustic. A lot of floorboards have a patch: acoustic. It sounds softer, but it is not at all a realistic acoustic sound.

I've spent lots of money and tried just about everything over the years and have narrowed down to some effects that work for me and the sound that I like... It depends on what you are wanting and one way is to listen to your favorite artists and then find out what they are using. If you have access to one of the larger Guitar stores (we have Guitar center here) you can go in and plug into an array of effects pedals and try each one individually or linked togather for different sounds.

For me? I use a Boss Delay and Chorus...I play mostly fingerstyle with electric and Acoustic/electric and those pedals really "fatten up" my sound. I get my reverb from the amp. I also use a Boss Distortion pedal for blues and to "dirty" or "crunch" up the sound for blues/rock. The first pedal in line is a Boss TU Tuning pedal that keeps me in tune!

Remember that a lot of you sound can and should be shaped first by your guitar and amp...some rooms have lots of natural reverb, some don't. Guitars have different sounding pickups and different settings, ditto for the amp. Once you find the sound you want from the guitar and amp then you can shape it further with the pedals...even then the combinations are numerous!

I hope that helps...   I think some of the websites for effects units now have sound samples that you can check out...

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

Thanks everybody for the feedback.
Ian

To come back to your topic, iandraper, I use and still have most of my processors.
BUT THERE IS ONE PROCESSOR (often included in floorboards) ACOUSTIC SOUND USING MY PROCESSORS: It just plays more or less (better less) an acoustic sound. Plugging in: I NEVER FIND A REALISTIC SOUND. Are there "chordians" having a processor, and plug in a Fender, Gibson, PRS, giving a "VERY REALISTIC ACOUSTIC SOUND?"