Topic: Records, how much are they worth??

Just wanted to drop in and say hi, got back from the country. Had a good time, played guitar at a revival in Warren, got a little sick but its all good.
Anyway, while I was gone I bought a few LPs, (skynyrd's gimme me back my bullets was one of them, which I'm pretty proud of). I was wondering if anybody knew a way to find out (or even estimate) what a record is really worth. I collect them just because I like them, they look cool and I even have a record player, but I'd be interested in finding out how much my collection is worth.
I've got a few that I think are probly the most valuable out of the collection...

Red headed Stranger and Shotgun Willie- Willie Nelson
Live at Folsom Prison- Johnny Cash
Second Helpings and Gimme Back my bullets- Lynyrd Skynyrd
Coal Miner's Daughter- Loretta Lynn
Ramblin' Man and Lonesome Onry and Mean- Waylon Jennings
Brothers and Sisters- Allman Brothers

And a bunch more, but thats a few.

All You Need is Love smile

Re: Records, how much are they worth??

e-Bay.  Go out and see if anyone is selling the same albums.  Also, there's got to be some kind of an estimator book.  Check your local library and ask for help from the reference librarian.   

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

last_rebel,
have you tried typing in (collectors/collections)?
Your collection is a valueable one, especially if there aren't any scratches. Even if they've got a few scratches then they're quite valueable.
I think that value is mainly what it's worth to you to keep them in good working order not what someone else would pay you.
For instance: I spent some time looking for a particular book. A man I knew went on the internet, he asked me how much was I willing to spend to get it. I told him I'd be willing to spend a hundred dollars for it cause it wasn't the money it was the sentimental value. That particular book was one that had gotten me interested in reading during a time in my life that I hated books. Well, he found a copy for .75 cents. He kept looking and found me one, that with shipping cost me about twenty dollars. You see, it's not what it was worth to someone else, but rather what it was worth to me and what I was capable of paying.

You should be able to find a price for your records. Good luck with your hunt.
In finding the price, decide if you are willing to part with them or are you just browsing.

Good luck and good hunting.

If you're not happy with what you have...
Then you'll never be happy with what you get...

Don't kow if you've ever seen that show on PBS, "Antiques Roadshow"--saw a guy on there a few weeks ago, had an old Beatles Album and this guy was apraising it--said that condition was everything; the spine needs to be perfect, the inner sleave, the record itself....this Beatles album looked like it was right off the store shelf so it was worth a bunch. 
Do you have any of your albums framed?  We have this craft store called Michaels, and every now and then they'll have album frames on sale for like $5.00--I have about half a dozen hanging on my wall including the first album i ever got--Aerosmith Dream on...this thing is messed up, but it's still hanging proudly on my wall.

well the main thing for me is just curiosity, considering the fact that I paid around 98 cents at a goodwill for most of my records (I paid eight bucks for the folsom album, and actually 20$ for second helpings just because I'ma hige skynyrd fan and I thought it was cool not because I neccesarily thought it was worth that much), I don't think I've lost too much.
I don't want to sell my albums,  I hang them in my room and play them, but I would like to know if they're worth anything (just for bragging rights I guess haha). My entire collection has been purchased with the mindset of 'I'm not going to buy any record that I wouldn't actually listen to", regardless of monetary value, so it means something to me that it might not to someone else.
In fact one of my favorite ones is the cover only of ZZ Top's eliminator, not in the greatest shape and the LPs not even in there, but I got it from my cousin a long time ago and I promised to take care of it. It was one fo his mom's own from her younger days, and she told him if he ever gave it away it would have to be to me or my brother because she trusted us. Not because its worth anything, but because it was from her childhood.
SO, I'm going to try the estimate book idea, and the 'collection' one see what I can find. I thought maybe if I typed in the product code thing (SE-#####) maybe something will turn up.
  Thanks yall,
          last rebel

All You Need is Love smile

About PRICES for "vinyl" albums, and sometimes a CD.
I have a CD called "ELECTRIC MOTHERF***ERS" by the Rolling Stones. (they have another album with the logical title: "acoustic motherf***ers" and this album is exactly the same as another Rolling Stones album: an acoustic or unplugged + 5-6 extra tracks.)
The "E M" is on a label called COBRA. I discovered it somewhere in Antwerp, where they have a market and fleamarket. I paid quit much for this album, and I took some copies, afraid and knowing myself how "chaotic" I am about my CD's. Price: still in Belgium Francs, but = 30€ or 43$.
One of my patients was a Rolling Stone freak, having ALL the records, also another patient, even worse, going to CD or Album markets, both never heard about this "Official"? because of the label (it is not guaranteed that it was original or a fantastic good bootleg) they offered me up to 100$ for my little CD, with songs on it, never released, duets Jagger and Tina Turner, the Bluesbrothers, a special version for Keith Richard's birthday with Clapton on guitar). I have at least 50 albums (vinyl) by the Who,the Kinks, all first edition.
My personal opinion is that an album from EUROPE is sometimes more valuable than in the USA, because of album sleeves, BANNED in the USA, but not here. All these factors are important. Another important fact is: the MARKET: different tracks, or in another ranking: UK & Europe, USA, JAPAN. As I saw here: go to eBay.com, look for vinyl albums and you can see amazing $$$
- Beatles Rubber Soul MOCL as FIRST-HUNDRED-COPY!! N MINT US $1,250.00  as STARTING BID.

There is even: the most expensive album, never released Chinese Democracy by Gun's & Roses.
You should read the article. Best way to figure it out is what I did: google the most expensive albums, and you will see some amazing facts. I really hope this will help you, and in the mean time I will look and dig deeper, I have time to do it and I am glad to help people.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

I am back again, after googling: the most expensive and rare albums.
I found a lot of ANDY WARHOL stuff, posters, books, and that guy was famous (one of the few who were famous while still living) There was an album by the Velvet underground €1415 (2000$)
Bon Jovi:  Bon Jovi Box 1 (8 CDs) - Complete    [Comes from 'JAPAN'].
BON JOVI Bon Jovi Box 1 (Mega rare 1996 Japanese-only limited edition deluxe box set containing 8-CD albums with card picture sleeves, two logo'd guitar picks, backstage tour passes and 100-page in-depth book price 1050$
This is written to show you how high some prices can be. I still need a turn table to put all my "vinyl" on PC and burn them on CD (Numark TT seems very good, correcting and reducing noise, I agree that this is not the same, but it allows you to keep AND your albums, AND to listen to the CD's in your car.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

I got an original of God Save The Queen when I bought a stack of old Punk singles. If memory serves me right I paid around a tenner for the lot. A bargain for moi methinks. smile
Only problem is the cover is quite tatty, which knocks a fair few quid off the value. It's not something I would ever consider parting with though. smile

Craig.

Blind acceptance is a sign, of stupid fools who stand in line.  John Lydon.

'Mod' is a shorter word for 'young, beautiful and stupid' - we've all been there." - Pete Townshend.