Topic: "Anti-Gravity Waltz" a dance tune for skeptics

Giving final exams is stressful for the students, and boring for the professor.  While my Stats students were wrestling with their final exam today, I was wrestling with these lyrics.  I do believe I was having more fun than my students!

Sorry that I have not commented lately on any of the many new songs posted to the forum.  I got behind in my work (yes, teaching at a university is actually real work), and have not had the time to really read and play and appreciate recent postings.

After finishing all my grading (tomorrow hopefully) I can get back to bashing out the forum songs and re-join the discussions.

In the mean time - here is what has been on my mind:

Anti-Gravity WaltzJames McCormick, December 10, 2007

6/8 time, A Waltz for Skeptics

They [D]claim there's stuff called [G]"Gravity", they [D]say it's every-[A]where

They [D]say it's in the [G]w-a-t-e-r, the [D]dirt and [A]clouds and [D]air.

They [G]claim there's even [D]giant rocks, [G]spinning way up in the [A]sky . . .

They [G]think that I'll be-[D]lieve that crap, I [A]can't i-[A7]magine [D]why.

[C]"Gravi-[G]ty", [D]"Gravity",

I [C]don't be-[G]lieve what [D]I can't see.

[C]"Gravi-[G]ty", Oh [D]"Gravity",

I've [C]never [A]seen this [D]"Gravity". . [A] . . [A7] . .

This [D]"Gravity" stuff is [G]such a crock, just [D]sheer absurdi-[A]ty,

It's [D]ilde specu-[G]lation, it's [D]just a [A]th-e-o-[D]ry.

Hey, [G]all this scien-[D]tific stuff is a [G]big old pile of [A]junk . . .

And [G]I don't need an [D]expert to [A]know that [A7]it is [D]bunk.

[C]"Gravi-[G]ty", [D]"Gravity",

It's [C]just a [G]big con-[D]spiracy.

[C]"Gravi-[G]ty", Oh [D]"Gravity"

A [C]very [A]dangerous [D]fantasy. . [A] . . [A7] . .

[C]"Gravi-[G]ty", [D]"Gravity"

It's [C]just a [G]silly [D]theory

A [C]very [G]strange hy-[A]pothe-[D]ses . .

This [D]"Science" stuff is [G]out of control, a [D]great big fancy [A]bluff,

Like [D]saying people, [G]houses, and cats are [D]made with [A]"Molecule" [D]stuff.

It's [G]all so loony, [D]all so weird, it's [G]hokum through and [A]through . . .

Just [G]fancy lies from [D]fancy folk with [A]not enough [A7]work to [D]do.

It [C]doesn't [G]make any [D]sense to me.

I [C]can't be-[G]lieve what [A]I don't [D]see.

I'm [C]not so [G]easy to [D]fool you see

[C]"Gravi-[G]ty, Oh [D]"Gravity"

I'm [C]very [G]Anti-[A]Gravi-[D]ty

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

Re: "Anti-Gravity Waltz" a dance tune for skeptics

just hope all this gravity isnt pulling you down and away from your commitments James

Don't Cry because it is over...

smile because it happened.    Gabriel GarcĂ­a Marquez

Science...wow I got trouble getting passed Pi R Squared? did I spell that right?
Seeing as your a bit of a teacher I guess that means the whole thing is a bit tongue in cheek?
I can hear this on a comedy record.
Why do we always write serious stuff, lets make the world laugh...God knows it needs it

Rock on cowboy

Phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Hi weedjie & Phill Williams - This song is very very much tongue-in-cheek!

It's a gentle poke at religious fundamentalist types who criticize evolution as being 'just a theory'.  Gravity is 'just a theory' also, but we all seem to buy into this rather radical concept.

Glad you guys got a grin from my goofy little ditty.  James

Nice song James. It's funny you compare the gravity theory to religion. While reading your masterful creation it put me in a mind thought process of comparing your analagy of gravity to that of religion. My attempt here is not to stir up a political debate about religion but simply to express where the reading of this song took me.   

My trombone project has been put on hold, temporarily. I tinker with it briefly from time to time, nothing consistent though?!?!? I have kept the contact information for your Dad and I do hope to aquire some expert information from him in the near future. I, like you, have been swamped with my gig schedule, teaching guitar, and staying at home with my son during the day while my wife teaches(Elementary Ed.) and works part-time at the Coach store(purses,wallets,etc.). How's your harmonica adventure working out? Have you dabbled with it yet? When I was first learning to play a good friend of mine told me this; "The harmonica is one of the easiest instruments to play, but one the hardest instruments to play well." I hear a nice floating, distant harmonica in some of your songs( in my airy brain).Good luck with the completion of your classes and we'll chat soon.

Have a Great Day,
SouthPaw41L(Toney)

Give everything but up.

Hi Southpaw41L - One of these days that trombone in the corner will beckon and you will dive headlong into the learning process.  Me? - Well I have been reading up on harmonicas and have asked Santa Claus for some money to go get a nice set and a halo holder . . . have also met some people here locally who can help me get started.  That's as far as I am so far - but, it is something I have decided to do so it will get done.

Regarding my little gravity song & religion - I am not anti-religious by any means.  However, I would distinguish between religion and fundamentalism.

Fundamentalists (of all sorts) take great pride in a sort of willful ignorance.  They revel in the nonsensical nature of their chosen flavor of belief.  "I am more religious than you because my beliefs make less sense than your beliefs", is the approach of fundamentalist type persons.

To me, asking questions and seeking answers is part of a spiritual & religious journey.  For fundamentalists, religion is defined more as blind adherence to a rigid set of constraints where all the answers are 'known' and intellectual inquiry is considered dangerous.

I have some students who insist that evolution is 'wrong' because it is 'just a theory'.  Why these people are pursuing a university education is a mystery to me.  I guess part of my motivation in writing the song is to point out that something being 'just a theory' is not a bad thing.

7 (edited by SouthPaw41L 2007-12-14 17:15:51)

How do James?,

As far as the harmonicas go, I prefer the Honer Special 20's. I've tried just about every harmonica known to man and the 20's have the easiset playability, the longest life, and the best overall sound, to my ears at least. I play mostly straight harp(opposed to cross, or blues style) and if I can restain my emotion and not bend too hard or blow the wax out of my ears, the 20 will last a good long while. Before I incorporated looping into my live gigs I would spend in excess of $3,000 anually on harmonicas. I now average 1/10th of that. It can be a very expensive habby( habit+hobby).

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L(Toney)

Give everything but up.

James McCormick!
How could you! Im really tired tonight, and your talking about Gravity!

Last weeK It was the Other Old Doll Maisie" Brought tears to my eyes.
Tonight its Gravity? Well now James that is a word that woman of my age
know so well!
Theres only one way to prove it to you but! This would
probably give you a heart attack. Your wife and family need you! Your
students need you! We  need you here! so James your just gonna have to believe me...  Gravity? I prefer the words Au Natural!:lol:
Good one James.

Wheres me old Segosha Badeye when i need him? More panels please Son!

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

pi are not square pi are round

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Hi, russell - Pi is a very cool thing.  My son did a science fair project last year where you can approximate the value of pi by dropping sticks onto a surface with parallel lines.  You drop the sticks, count the number that are crossing a line and count the number that are not crossing a line.

Then, you make a ratio between these two values - the more you do it the closer the overall ratio comes to pi.  It was a very cool project - but the science fair judges didn't understand it. 

Anyway, for fun we printed out the value of pi to the first one million decimal points.  Took five reams of paper.  Still have that printout on our bookshelf (should you need to borrow it someday).

Just for giggles, I get all dressed up every March 14th (3.14) - great excuse for a good party.

James McCormick wrote:

Just for giggles, I get all dressed up every March 14th (3.14) - great excuse for a good party.

That is one of the wierdest and most endearing things I have ever read.

- Zurf

p.s.  Love the song.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Hi Zurf - Glad you can appreciate my nerdiness . . .

On October 10th (10/10) I also celebrate Base 10 Day.  But it is really more of a deeply private and spiritual thing - no garish public displays of enthusiasm (unlike some people who go all about blatantly waving all their fingers around - so tacky!).
[Please realize that this is yet another attempt at nerd humor]

Also, so glad you like the song!  James

I have a date that I do a similar celebratory waltz, if you will. April the 20th(4-20), I like to wear hippy clothes and talk like Cheech and Chong. I think it's   norml   for people to do these types of things.  (lol)

Give everything but up.

SouthPaw41L wrote:

I have a date that I do a similar celebratory waltz, if you will. April the 20th(4-20), I like to wear hippy clothes and talk like Cheech and Chong. I think it's   norml   for people to do these types of things.  (lol)

I hear ya southpaw, I also celebrate 4/20, nearly every day. LOL smile

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

15 (edited by badeye 2007-12-14 17:44:57)

Gotta like the 4/20 eh. Speaking of harmonica's I've played one for 25 years or so. Love the sound from a Special 20, and the one that last the longest in my opinion. They are
essential for kitchen jams.

Hey Old Doll your Segosha is right here . Yer tea is ready. lol

... Badeye.

PS/ nice song James.

one caper after another

Very clever lyrics. smile

Damn fine song James ! I love stuff like that. I think I have the melody right, but what the hell if it sounds ok it is ok i guess, and a catchy little melody it is. Is it meant for picking or a strum pattern ?

A five yr old could understand this. Somebody fetch a five yr old !
Groucho Marx

Thanks Ray!

The melody is sort of Irish folksongish . . . the tune would be great with a penny whistle and concertina and hand drum backing.  The chords are mostly strummed.

Will record soon so you can hear it how I hear it (without the penny whistle, concertina and hand drum unfortunately).

Do you know James

everytime i read those words "Penny whistle" I get the shivers.
I love the sound but when i was at school i was taught the whistle.
Then they were made of light metal. well the one's we used were!

I was practising one day at home, and my brother hit the end of the whistle
as he went past. The piece in my mouth went up through the roof of my mouth. There was  blood spilling from my mouth. 
To this day i cannot play a whistle. The thought still scares me... My brothers always say " It never stopped you talking Sis" Cheeky Gits.
But sure i know they love me!:lol:

Old Doll.

Look forward to hearing it James. Had a thought , yesterday and fiddled with variation on one of your verses. Trying to get the old "No such thing as Gravity , the earth just sucks ! " line in there. What do you reckon.? You are probably better at it than me.

Groucho Marx

hi james i too have been engrossed in work,salting the roads at 3/30am for four mornigs last week then have to do my days work after anyway i need some anti-gravity to keep my eye lids open,great song ...stay cool

love is life ,life is for love,keep a true heart and live life to the full....stay cool

G'day Daddycool. Salting the roads at 3 am ??? I am so glad it doesn't snow here in Australia ! Well this part anyway ! Safe Xmas , mate !

Groucho Marx

Daddycool!

I know James wont mind me saying Hi and welcome back Here!

Ah we missed you! Keep up the good work.

Stay cool!

Old Doll.

Hi James,

I normally dance a waltz cheek-to cheek but for this one I will do it tongue-in-cheek. Good song, well done, I enjoyed playing it.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Roger Guppy wrote:

Hi James,

I normally dance a waltz cheek-to cheek but for this one I will do it tongue-in-cheek. Good song, well done, I enjoyed playing it.

Roger

Roger,

You certainly have a way with words. Not sure what kind of way?!?! But it's cool nontheless..........

Peace and Guitars,
SouthPaw41L

Give everything but up.