Topic: Martin DXC1E or Takamine EG530SSC or Epiphone AJ500RE

I am trying to decide on which guitar to purchase. I want one with low action, and it seems the Martin is the best for that, but I think the Epi sounds better. The Takamine seems right in the middle fo the two. I would like to know if anyone has owned these guitars and what you think of them. I have not played for years and I'm not too familiar with Takamine. Any other guitars that you think would be better in the $700 or less price range????

Dman

Re: Martin DXC1E or Takamine EG530SSC or Epiphone AJ500RE

dajamu,

I would suggest you don't look at a guitar for its low action.  Any guitar can be set-up to have low action.  Yes, a Martin may be lower, but only because it's already set up from the factory.  Not true in all cases either.  But, Martin would be a good choice. 

I, personally, like the Takamine.  I had my eyes on the EAN10C for quite some time.  And, hope to get it next year.  I just bought me a jazz electric guitar, so I can't spend any more moola!  And, the Tak is in your price range.  So, that's my two cents.

hey dajamu,

Kahuna's right about the action. You can have technicians from your guitar store adjust that for you (which is something you should definitely do when buying a new guitar).

As for the guitar you want to buy, personally I try to stay with guitars made from solid wood (no laminate material). But that's just me. For your price range, here are a few extra suggestions:

-Guild GAD series (I have a GAD-50E and it plays beautifully. Also has Rosewood back & sides and a Spruce top)
-Seagull (A canadian brand with a lot of models in that price range. People seem to like the S6 or other Cedar models)
-Norman (Another Canadian Brand, very well built guitars & great value for the $$)
-Breedlove Atlas Series (Personally not my first choice but I have to admit they make good guitars for a cheaper cost)

Takamines are great too but they're already mentioned...

Good luck in your search.

Thanks! I just went to the guitar center and played a few, and the thing I noticed was that for some reason it is easier for me to play bar chords on the martins. It seems like the neck is a little wider or something. I did play a seagull that sounded really nice. I am giving up on the epiphone masterbuilt because the neck just seems so narrow and my fingers feel crowded, but man that thing sounded nice. I have noticed that the guitars at the guitar center have alot of buzz  ...the salesman said they don't set them up. What do other guitar stores do to "set them up", and can I fix them if I buy fom the guitar center?
Are there any online stores that you buy from, or is it better to just buy locally?
Thanks again for your input!
dajamu

dajamu,

Guitar Centers just sell the instruments.  They don't really do any set-up.  The buzz you hear was from the neck needing adjustment.  You would normally spend another $50 to $65 (strings included) to have it set-up by a repair shop.  A typical set up includes: new strings (a must), adjust spacing between strings & frets (throughout the neck), neck adjustment, file down the nut (if needed), a full inspection of the guitar (cracks, warps, loose hardware, etc.) 

String wise, a typical repair shop normally uses .012 gauge.  If you're a beginner, I would suggest either a .10 or .11 to start.   You'll need to make this decision before the guitar is set up.  Once the guitar is set up, you can then change your own strings as needed going forward.

Hope this helps!

dajamu wrote:

Thanks! I just went to the guitar center and played a few, and the thing I noticed was that for some reason it is easier for me to play bar chords on the martins. It seems like the neck is a little wider or something. I did play a seagull that sounded really nice. I am giving up on the epiphone masterbuilt because the neck just seems so narrow and my fingers feel crowded, but man that thing sounded nice. I have noticed that the guitars at the guitar center have alot of buzz  ...the salesman said they don't set them up. What do other guitar stores do to "set them up", and can I fix them if I buy fom the guitar center?
Are there any online stores that you buy from, or is it better to just buy locally?
Thanks again for your input!
dajamu

I own the Takamine you're referencing. I paid about 425.00 at Guitar Center after a major amount of haggling. I've played Taylor and Martin and both are obviously fantastic. That being said, I thought the Takamine was nearly as nice for much, much less. I thought it played considerably better than the same priced Epiphone. I've played most of the Epiphone's in that price range and while they have a great sound they're just not as "playable" as my Takamine. I play my Takamine everyday and I've been very satisfied...For what it's worth, it's all about preference

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Thanks All, your insight has been a great help!
Thanks again!

dajamu

For what it's worth, I'm a seagull / simon & patrick fan.  But my #1 acoustic is one you don't hear alot about--Carvin.  Great guitar for a very fair price.  Thing is, you have to order it direct so you don't get the chance to play it first, but I have to tell you, the only guitar I've played that would trump the sound of my carvin is a lavavee (probably spelled that wrong), and a Taylor Koa.  You can check them out on their web site if you want. www.carvin.com .  Very low action, grover tunners, blah, blah, blah.  Very full bodied rich sound.

I have a Takamine 523SC (jumbo size of the 530SC) and wouldn't trade it for anything. It looks good and has all the sound (with amp or without) anyone could ask for, and is easy to play. Now keep in mind an acoustic guitar, bought new today will (should) improve in the quality of sound as it ages. My belief is that you, or anyone else, should listen carefully to the advice of others, play as many different guitars as possibe, digest all this information then buy the guitar you WANT! You have to be satisfied with your purchase and not worry what someone else plays. Pick and choose the guitar that suits YOU over anything else. Always look for a quality instrument that fits within your budget and satisfy yourself. first.

Nela

I have a F310 Takamine and a F385 Takamine. Go and try as many guitars as you can. Dollar for dollar the older MIJ Takamines are one of the best buys on the market. My Taylor is great but cost $$$ more. Let your pocket book guide you!

2007 Gibson Les Paul 2004 Gibson Les Paul 2008 Gibson Explorer
2006 Martin D12X1 1999 Martin OOC-16DB 2004 Taylor 414ce
2008 Gretsch G 5122,1977 F385 Takamine,1975 F310 Takamine
Peavey Valve King VK 212 Fender DEC Jr.

I have a Seagull S6 $299.00 and I love it. I am  beginner, however I have had several very experienced players play mine and they think it is great too.

Learning to play the guitar is easy. Converting that knowlege to sound like music is hard!

I have to agree with all the Takamine comments. I have a PT07E. Easy to play and a great sound and a very reasonable price. By far the best acoustic I've ever owned.