Topic: Down to Georgia

Growing up in the western part of North Carolina, my family would often take trips to Georgia for one reason or another and I developed a fondness for that great state. So here is that fondness expressed in this song and I hope you all like it and get a chance to visit as well.

Down to Georgia By Jeff Gilpin

December 30th, 2007

Intro

[E]

Verse 1

[E]I like the state I live in

[E]Yes indeed I do

But I’m [E]going down to Georgia

To see just [E7]what it is they do

Down in [G]Georgia

[A]It’s where I’m going [E]to

Verse 2

That [E]got that country living

And [E]city life as well

Not [E]sure which one’s better

It’s a [E7]little hard to tell

Down in [G]Georgia

[A]Where they live real [E]well

From the [G]Chattahoochee River

To [E]Savannah on the coast

Where [A]good people at good places

[B7]Have a right to boast

Down in [E]Georgia

Verse 3

The [E]city of Atlanta I heard

Was [E]burned back in the day

Now [E]some folks come to visit

While [E7]others like to stay

Down in [G]Georgia

[A]I’ll be heading that [E]way

Verse 4

Now in [E]Columbus and Augusta

Live many [E]military families

Brave [E]men and women strong and proud

Pro[E7]tecting the lives we lead

Down in [G]Georgia

[A]Where they’re proud and they're [E]free

Down in [E]Georgia

Verse 5

[E]In their mountain foothills

Starts the [E]Appalachian Trail

Where [E]people come and hike to Maine

[E7]If their feet don’t fail

Down in [G]Georgia

[A]Where they start of that fabled [E]trail

Verse 6

[E]Well it has been a while

But I can [E]find my way around

I can [E]navigate to Peachtree Street

And At[E7]lanta’s underground

Down in [G]Georgia

[A]Going to see what’s going [E]down

Down in [E]Georgia

© Jeff Gilpin 2009

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Re: Down to Georgia

Jeff, you have captured the essence very nicely.
I like Georgia too - and Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana .  .  .
Actually, I like everywhere I have ever been.  Good people live all over - it's just easier to meet them in places like Georgia where people still smile and wave.

I'm hearing this one with harmony on the choruses?

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

Hey James - I've really been thinking about using harmony in most of my songs, at hleast the new ones. It really worked out well in Grey Skies and Ayase Lullaby so I'm kind of assuming it's going to be in them all. Thanks

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Nice one Jeff,

Unfortunately the only Georgia I know is a young lady I went to college with but enough said about that. lol

Unfortunately I have never visited America and I am afraid I will have to win the lottery first to be able to visit all the places and people that I want to see, but that did not stop me enjoying your song. I am looking forward to hearing the recording now.

Thanks,

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Yeah, this one is kind of twangy the way I play and sing it. I'm sorry you've never had the chance to get over here Roger. I bet you'd like it in the states. I will try and record it sometime but my list is getting rather long.

J  E  T  S

Hi Jets,

Lovely as always. I now want to visit here . Just to walk down Peachstreet.

Isnt that just the loveliest name for a street!

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

I'M FROM AUGUSTA GEORGIA

Hey Red - I had the chance back in the day to get stationed there when I was in the USAF but some how ended up in Northern Virginia. I have a lot of respect for Augusta folk. I grew up in Asheville, NC and my parents worked at UNC-Asheville. Whenever we played Augusta College (in basketball) it was always a tough game that went down to the final minute of play. I hope you enjoy the song and if you like hear it I'll try and get a recording for you so you can hear it.

J  E  T  S

Nice one Jeff good lyrics that portray the southern hospitality I have been to Alanta with several streets named Peachtree a few years back and all the folk were friendly good job smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

That is a good song for a great state in which i'm proud to say that i live in. I'm from Dublin/Adrian in mid state which is actually one of the larger small towns that Georgia is made up of. I would like to see more of NC and Virginia someday i'm sure they are just as nice.

Hey dfoskey - Yep, NC and Va are good to in their own way. Georgia makes me think of when I was a kid and visited a lot. Just a great musical state as well.

Hey Russ - It is a very friendly state and I wish I got to spend more time there.

J  E  T  S

Thanks for bringing this back redstrat.
Another good one from you Jeff. I like your chord progression in the chorus. This has a very nice feel to it and I also am looking forwards to the recording.
Nice smile

Kenny

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)