Topic: writers that inspire you- just out of curiosty

I guess this in the right place...

Anyway, just out of curiosity who are some artists/songwriters that the chordian songwriters listen to for inspiration (or just to go dang I wish I could write like that...)?

For me its alot of the American Recordings by Johnny Cash, songs by  Kris Kristofferson, or some older Willie Nelson, those will make me want to write something everytime.
Then of course I love those great blues one liners that say so much without having to say much you know? Like 'I've got a good mind to give up livin'.....'

All You Need is Love smile

Re: writers that inspire you- just out of curiosty

Great topic, last rebel!

Some of my favorite favorite American writers include John Prine, Stephen Foster, Mary Gauthier, Gillian Welch, Tom Lehrer, Lyle Lovett, Bob Dylan, Paul Simon, and Shel Silverstein.

Canadians include Joni Mitchell, Neil Young,  and k.d. lang.

Some Brits I like include Richard Thompson and Boo Hewerdine.

My favorite Australian song writer is Eric Bogel.

I admire any song writer who can tell a great story, paint a vivid picture, or convey an emotion.

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

Lyrically for me it's John Prine, Bob Dylan, Peter Gabriel, Robert Hunter(Grateful Dead lyricist), Gordon Lightfoot, Warren Zevon, Neil Young, Tom Petty, Neil Peart, Eddie Vedder, Paul Simon, Alison Krauss, Bonnie Raitt, Lucinda Williams, Tom Waitts, Bruce Springsteen, Greg Allman, Eric Clapton, John Lennon, Paul McCartney, Bono, Ozzy Osborne, Ronnie James Dio, Muddy Waters, Keb Mo, Jimi Hendrix, David Bowie, Kurt Cobain.....tomorrow I'd probably give you a whole new list with a few people relisted.

Musically it's everything my ears have had the pleasure of hearing from my country and bluegrass as a young child, the rap, funk, and R&B of my early teens, the heavy metal and hard blues rock of my late teens and early twenties, the classical guitar absorption of my late teens and early twenties, the psychedellic and southern rock phase of my mid to late twenties, the punk, grunge, alternative, experimental and industrial of my late twenties to early thirties, to my current audible consumption of everything from my past and my infinite evolving likes of new music today.(not necessarily new, but new to my ears)

Give everything but up.

Hi Last Rebel. { Happy New Year To You }

I would also have been inspired by all of the above named.

From this side of the pond, here are just a few of our own great song writers.

PaulBrady / Van the Man/ Dominic Behan/ Pól Brennnan { Enya's brother} Juliet Turner.

Bono & Gavin Friday/ Jimmy McCarty/Keiran Goss/Phil Coulter/Christy Hennessy/
Gary lightbody{ Snow patrol}Shane Mcgowan/Damien Rice.
The list is endless. But i so love so many of there songs.

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

I guess everyone I've heard songs by has had an input!  I particularly like Bob Dylan and Eminem for words/rhythm but not necessarily content, darn those boys are good!

believe it or not, I stand in awe of yourself for the phrasing in your songs, and for the bleak poems of JasonHague here on Chordie too lol

I'm inspired musically by all I hear but limited by talent and patience to simple chord transitions and melodies.

cheers

I'm the son of rage and love

bonedaddy,
First of all I'm sure I'm flattered, but thank you all the same. Secondly, remember that sometimes simplicity makes the best kind of song. Sweet Home Alabama started with the chords D C G, think of the blues songs that follow the old 12 bars pattern, and then of course country is a great example.  Even alot of Willie's most poetic songs are a simple F Bb and G pattern.

James McCormick wrote:

Great topic, last rebel!

Some of my favorite favorite American writers include John Prine, Stephen Foster, Mary Gauthier, Gillian Welch, Tom Lehrer, Lyle Lovett, Bob Dylan, Paul Simon, and Shel Silverstein.

Canadians include Joni Mitchell, Neil Young,  and k.d. lang.

Some Brits I like include Richard Thompson and Boo Hewerdine.

My favorite Australian song writer is Eric Bogel.

I admire any song writer who can tell a great story, paint a vivid picture, or convey an emotion.

Australian? He's a Scot living in Australia, I believe. smile

[url]www.freerice.com[/url]

He may be ukrainian for all I care - check out any version of "The Band Played Waltzing Matilda" and cry into your beard!

Particularly The Pogues, Joan Baez or June Tabor (not in any order)

Writers who inspire me are ones who can write a song that I can see in my head when I play. One favorite of mine if Jackson Browne; his songs For a Dancer, Looking into You and Fountain of Sorrow, all three I can see in my head when I listen. I still get misty eyed listening to the words "...'Cause I know that you'd  rather we were dancing"

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

I personally look up to Christina Aguilera, Catrien Maxwell (her works are on YouTube.com), Michelle Branch, and Amy Lee.

For Canadian Artists, my favorites are Melissa O'Neil and Avril Lavigne (does Avril count as Canadian anymore?).

Anything really inspirational.  Also, Far Away -- Nickleback almost made me cry one time... but for other reasons. wink

Thanks!
-Roxy

For me it's writers like Jimmy Rankin, Brownie Maghee, John Allen Cameron, Matt Minglewood  artists i've listened to for a long time. I've collected a lot of old blues artists over the years so that is a big influnce on me. Just love the simplicity
that an acoustic and a blues harp brings in music. I think I'll have this blues addiction for the rest of my life.

....Badeye.

one caper after another

For "poetry" or depth in lyrics, I agree with many mentioned here already. Zevon, Waits, Dylan, Prine. One that hasn't yet been mentioned (unless I missed it)  Jim Morrison - the Doors singer for you youngsters.

But honestly I have gotten great inspiration from the posters on the songwriting forum here. Jets60, Old Doll, Doc, Jason, Ken, Roger, James, etc. (all of them - I don't mean mean to leave anyone out). They have inspired me to believe I can write a song myself. Only a few ideas at this time, and I may be too embarrassed to ever post 'em, but I do believe I will give it a shot eventually!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Harry Chapin, Jim Croce, Neil Young, Carol King, James Taylor, Old Doll, Glen Frey and Don Henley....to name a few.  Here in NZ my favourite, is Greg Johnson.

"If You Always Do What You've Always Done - You'll Always Get What You've Always Got !"

Mines are more modern bands such as Arctic Monkey's, Oasis etc but its not really the artists who inspire me, its the lyrics.

Johnny Cash is a great inspiration to me, When I hear some of his lyrics I use them in an updated fashion, same with alot of older musicians.

It depends.
If I use my electric guitar, I am more inspired by Creedence Clearwater Revival, Clapton, Led Zeppelin, and all kinds of rock and blues.
If I use my acoustic: DYLAN, PINK FLOYD, NEIL YOUNG + A LOT OF SONGS NOT KNOWING THE PERFORMER
If I use both guitars, I'm inspired by an OLD DOC PHIL

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

There are some great songwriters listed above.  my personal favorites include:  John Prine, Steve Goodman and Billy Joe Shaver.

The person to inspire me to write my first song was Syd Barrett.
I listened to his insane but well thought lyrics and thought to myself if he can get away with stuff like " I know a mouse and he hasen't got a house, I dont know why I cal him Gerald"
Then I could too, so my weird song writing began in 1985.

that is who inspired me to write. My favourite songwriters that I have taken a little bit from them I tihnk are:

Roger Waters.
The corries,
Shane McGowan from the pogues
Pete Towshend
John Prine
Jake Burns
Joe Strummer
Red hot chili peppers

there are so many great writers, some that have already been mentioned,
Johnny Cash, TOm PAxton, Steve Harris, ac/dc , ray davies, paul weller, dylan,

good topic Hannah.

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Being European, not living in the UK, Scotland, Ireland, there are about 50% of artists and bands I don't know at all. I see these names quit often. Like who is the best, what is an easy song to play?
like John Prine, Jake Burns, Joe Shaver.
This is what I love about chordie, I can see and hear them on myspace, youtube.

I wrote 2 names of Belgium artists:
1) FIXKES
2) ARNO with or without his former band: 2 fantasic songs Oh la la la, and DANS LES YEUX DE MA MERE. (IN THE EYES OF MY MOTHER)
Check it out, you will do me a great favour, even if you don't understand the lyrics. If needed, I will try to translate them, using a new Topic, Belgium bands + translation

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

I know a mouse and he hasen't got a house, I dont know why I cal him Gerald

Thats awesome big_smile. I have a thing for random lyrycs  I guess....
Saw some great names here, its interesting to me to see the influences and how they show themselves in the different styles I see here on chordie.

Everyday folks.  The professionals don't inspire me as much because they're professionals.  They're supposed to be good at it.  The folks who are janitors and Navy seamen and nuclear technicians and store clerks and statisticians and doctors and kids in church - you're the ones who inspire me. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

last_rebel wrote:

Saw some great names here, its interesting to me to see the influences and how they show themselves in the different styles I see here on chordie.

That was Pink Floyd's Bike from Piper At The Gates Of Dawn - Their first album.  Check it out it's very good!

cool

bonedaddy wrote:
last_rebel wrote:

That was Pink Floyd's Bike from Piper At The Gates Of Dawn - Their first album.  Check it out it's very good!

cool

I LOVE that song, know all the lyrics by heart big_smile , great music video too.
The devil worshipping gingerbread men is a bit freaky though...

-Kerry-

All I know is I feel better when I sing.
Burdens are lifted from me.
That's my voice rising.

for me it has to merle haggard. he has a great way of expressing feelings when writing and you almost think it`s you he`s singing about.there`s a guy from liverpool called charlie landsborough and you need to read his lyrics.he has a way of telling a story through other peopls eyes.one comes to mind about a young blind girl when she asks her dad what colour is the wind.man the way he writes those lyrics you think he was blind himself.there are some great one liners in songs too that make you sit upand take notice.i think to myself at times i wish i had written that line.

upyerkilt wrote:

The person to inspire me to write my first song was Syd Barrett.

Ken

Yuo didn't shave your head and eye brows did you? Agreed...great songs from an extremely disturbed person. What a shame

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

25 (edited by cameronkl7 2008-07-16 01:43:22)

For me its, Jimmy Buffett, Kenny Chesney, Jackson Browne Bob Dylan, Goose Creek Symphony John Mellencamp, Don Henley, John Prine, I'm sure there are lots of others, but my mind is tired now...I'm going to bed now!

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down