Topic: using a pic (plectrum) different songs = different picks?

An underestimated useful item, enough to hear opinions.

When I play guitar, I always use a plectrum.
You have different kinds, different brands. I prefer DUNLOP. I prefer flexible plectrums, used some Martin picks (got them in Finland, Helsinki) they are all broken. Dunlop: no problem.
My favourite plectrum is a grey dunlop .73. I used the white picks .38 (very fragile) and have 2 black picks (1.0).
The best pick for me is the .73. Flexible and strong.
ABOUT PLAYING GUITAR:
- If you play, or strum, hitting your strings, on an electric guitar, what plectrum is used? a hard or a soft?
- Is there a difference in sound, using different picks?

I use almost always the .73, because they are strong and flexible. I never liked real hard picks.
What plectrum do you, chordians prefer? and do you use another pick for another guitar?
Some people use light strings (as I do) others use thicker strings. I noticed that you can "create" a lot more sound with a hard pick, what about the strings?

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

Re: using a pic (plectrum) different songs = different picks?

I use the grey dunlop or a fender 'thin' for strumming, but I like a stiffer one for picking.

I'm going to have to put some sticky gunk on my guitar to hold different picks if I ever think I'm good enough to play for public consumption!

"There's such a fine line between genius and stupidity."
                              --David St. Hubbins

I'm with you Doc, I change depending on what I'm trying to achieve.  I'll go from a .5 to a .73.  Normally a .5 or .6 with my acoustic, and the .73 on my electric.  The dunlop tortex pics work great for me.  I take a little sandpaper to rough them up a little so they don't slip when my hand gets sweaty.

Alot of people like dunlops, myself included, but usually for electric I use my clayton .73, a bit stiffer seems like than the gray dunlop .73. With an amplified instrument the stiffness seems to help the strings resonate to me.
On acoustic I use a thinner pick, I like the dunlop gels or the grey .63s, the thinner pick gets a better sound to me.

All You Need is Love smile

I usually use a thumbpick and my fingers...when using a flat pick I like the larger and thick "Dawg" picks...one that's very similar is the D'Andres 1/5mm picks...very heavy and thick. They can be held very loosely for strumming but one can really "dig in" when needed!

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

In fact, I just found a few picks, in my wallet, behind an amp, or in the acoustic "cavity".
Most of these picks are Dunlops.
I don't like at all, thick "plectrums".
I have used (and lost) many plectrums, and 1 plectrum is always returning: dunlop .73 = solid, not rigid, and it is used by me on my acoustic collection, and my electric collection. I use it to play ballads, Blues, Rock, Hardrock. This plectrum will never let you down.
I did use some hard plectrums, resulting in a broken string. About strings, and changing them, I am always afraid that the string will break and hit my face. This happened some years ago.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

fender thins for rythym; thick small "jazz" picks for any picking

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello