1 (edited by jets60 2008-01-13 05:42:15)

Topic: My Hometown

Just a little song dedicated to all the folks who live in a place like I do where we have to put up with a nasty commute to work so we can live in relatively affordable peace and quiet in the suburbs. I hope you all like it.

My Hometown By Jeff Gilpin

January 11th, 2008

Intro

[G] [C]

Verse 1

[G]Waking up in the morning in [C]my home [G]town

People coming and going not a[C]ware who’s a[G]round

[D]They’re not being rude just got a [Em]lot on their mind

[D]Many things to do and [Em]not a lot of time

In my home [G]town [C]

Verse 2

[G]Driving off to work from [C]my home[G]town

New buildings going up [C]nothing going [G]down

[D]It’s the super suburbs [Em]growing a fearful pace

[D]Watch out don’t blink might not [Em]recognize the [C]place

But it’s my home [G]town [C]

[Em]Not sure when it happened

But [D]one day things [Em]changed

This [Em]sleepy little hole in the wall

Some [C]how got rear[D]ranged

Verse 3

[G]Driving on the interstate near [C]my home[G]town

[G]Not fighting the drive with [C]all these cars a[G]round

[D]Like a telephone booth we’re [Em]seeing who all can fit

[D]Can’t get many more we [Em]got all we can [C]get

In my home[G]town [C]

Verse 4

[G]Driving back home after work to [C]my home[G]town

The [G]road’s backed up again [C]everyone’s slowing [G]down

[D]Hard to make plans don’t know [Em]when I will arrive

[D]Trying to get home in one piece [Em]hoping I'll sur[C]vive

To my home[G]town [C]

[Em]People sure complain a lot

But that’s [D]just what people [Em]do

[Em]Maybe look on the bright side

And what [C]others are going [D]through

Verse 5

[G]I think I’ll keep on living in [C]my home[G]town

[G]Moving somewhere else means other [C]problems to be [G]found

[D]So I’ll gut it out and make the [Em]best of my crazy home

I’ll [D]laugh at all the my problems ‘cause I [Em]know I’m not a[C]lone

I my home[G]town[C]

Verse 6

[G]One day I'll retire and move away from [C]my home[G]town

[G]Like so many friends before me who are [C]no longer a[G]round

[D]I’ll say goodbye to all the [Em]good things that I’ll miss

But [D]all those crazy drivers well they [Em]know what they can [C]kiss

Kiss my home[G]town [C]

Yeah [Em]I’ll miss all of my friends

And the [D]fun we had [Em]there

I’ll [Em]miss the local attractions

Going [C]here and every[D]where

I’ll be [Em]thankful for my time there

And tell [D]everyone to take [Em]care

I’ll [Em]write to everyone who [D]stays

In my home[C]town [G]

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Re: My Hometown

Hey Jets60,
Good song, I like it.
I too live in a town very like yours. Sleepy little Blenhiem in New Zealand has backed up traffic at roundabouts, houses going up all over the place, and at a crazy pace too.
Commuting to work: been there, done that. My office and work place is now mobile.
I call it, Dump Truck.
Keep on writting.
Regards & cheers
Kiwi John

Hey John thanks. I guess putting up with the little problems like urban sprawl is better than putting up with the big ones like no jobs.
I hope I get to visit your home country sometimes John. I like the look I've seen on all the travel shows. I'm big on mountains and there are lots of those in New Zealand I hear.

Take Care

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Drove down the highway on the way back home (very inconvenient livin' off a freeway exit) and passed a bank that sprang up sometime between 5:00 pm yesterday and noon today. So this song does the job for me, as I thought I might have written something like this today. Good job jets, this is my fav. line:

]It’s the super suburbs [Em]growing a fearful pace
[D]Watch out don’t blink might not [Em]recognize the [C]place

All You Need is Love smile

Thanks Reb - Yep my town is not near like it was when I moved here back in '97. Seems like yesterday too. It was going to be Disney America just before I got here but the locals fought it so it would not "be overflowing with people" and now it's growing like a wildfire of people and new buildings.

J  E  T  S

Jets,

Back in 1984 I worked as a canoe instructor within the mailing address of your home town.  My girlfriend (now my wife) lived at the edge of the suburbs.  You'd leave her place going west and in under ten miles get to dirt road.  You'd stay on that dirt road for about fifteen miles until getting to the main road, which was a narrow, paved two lane and take it a while until the turn off for the camp.

Well, that dirt road (Braddock Road) is now four lane divided road with a 50 mph speed limit the whole way to the former paved two lane.  That road is now four or six lanes of divided highway (Route 29). 

Back then, the traffic was so light and the woods so thick that wildlife sightings were common.  My wife hit a turtle one time on the dirt road.  She felt awful because it was a big turtle and she knew it had to have been real old.  Now, the wetlands that turtle lived in have been turned into a series of "wet sinks" to allow the remaining land to be drained.  There are at least two different golf courses and probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 50,000 homes on it as a conservative estimate.  There are no woods to speak of the entire twentysome mile trek.  Back then with dirt roads and wildlife dodging, it took 45 minutes door to door.  I could ride my bike.  Now even with the enormously improved roads with the amount of traffic the same trip could take two hours (assuming it's dry weather, the sun isn't setting, and there have been no accidents).   Bike riding that stretch would be akin to suicide and is actually illegal on some stretches. 

Your home town is sure enough dealing with rapid and massive change.  Too bad.  I used to like it the old way when it was just two grocery stores, a gas station, and a lot of woods. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Hey Zurf - Yep, it sure has gone through some changes. I sure wish it could have stayed the same as you remembered it but it changed and I don't see it going back the way it was any time soon. I don't like the traffic but I do like the people I live with as well as work with. It is pretty easy to get away when I want to and for me that usually means heading west to the mountains.

J  E  T  S

My Home town,

Was a pretty rural place once with a country village. The very reason we bought here in the first place,
Corn/ wheat  fields, nature in abundance. country walks you name it we had it. Blessed.
I still love it although its now a sprawling concrete jungle.
I can still drive within 15/ minutes or so to be on the nicest beaches or out in the countryside.

So im still blessed. I give thanks.

Thanks Jets.

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Hey Lena - Your Home is similiar to where I grew up in western North Carolina but now my home town is in northern Virginia. I visited back where I'm originally from in Asheville, NC but the town is very different from what I remember. Northern Virginia is a great place to live aside from the traffic but I do miss my mountains.

Take care,

Jeff/jets

J  E  T  S