Topic: Changing chords

Can anyone help me please. I being playing acoustic guitar for five months but still cannot change chords smoothly. I know the shapes of the basic chords but find myself not changing fast enough.I practice about half a hour, four days a week. Is this enough?????????

Love nothing but that which comes to you woven in the pattern of your destiny..Marcsu Aurelius and the wild Elf....

Re: Changing chords

This vid helped me alot when I was starting. http://youtube.com/watch?v=JVJd4y33v3E  If you think about the diffrent ways you can finger a chord and what chord your going to next and apply this technique I'm sure it will help you out. For instance if your playing G and have to change to D. Use a G fingered like this 320033. Then you can use the fretting finger on the b string as a pivot to go the d. Many chords have diffrent variations that will often fit the song your trying to play. It's just taking the time to figure these out, considering what comes next ,and using this technique. It'll help you out at least untill you build up your muscle memory.

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Astro,

Keep the faith!  AND practice.  Is half an hour enough?  Only you can answer that. 

I can only answer for myself.  There is a lot of things happening as I am  learning, the chords, the strum / picking, and for me the singing.  To get it all coordinated takes a lot.  I am just learning barre chords now and am having the same issues you are.  It will take me a lot of time to get it the way I want.  I will also "practice" one day and then just "play" on other days.  I spend a lot of time plateau'd and just when I am getting really frustrated it comes together and the work was worth it.

Maybe try to do your changes by only doing a partial change, or the high notes first, for a beat or so, then fill in the bottom as your fingers catch up?  Some songs I work on can use a strum with no left hand at all while I line up my fingers to hit the next chord.  Play with a friend who can do the transitions while you catch up?

Keep on playing!  It will happen!

Brian

Here's how I did it (or am doing it really). Use a metronome, here a link to a free one on-line

http://www.metronomeonline.com/

Just start with 2 chords, say C&G, or C&D. Start slow, say 50 or 60 BPM just changing back and forth between those 2 chords. As you get it, raise your speed. Once you get switching between those 2 at 100 BPM or better, add a chord and go back to 50 BPM. As you keep adding chords, repeat the process staring slow each time. I would do this for hours every night just watching TV, if you find a particular progression that you are struggling with, you might want to scale back to those 2 chords and concentrate there until you get it down.

The key for me was the metronome. Using that allows you to track your progress and see improvement each night. Is 1/2 an hour enough? That's up to you - practice is the only way to improve. I probably play 3 or more hours every day. Practice, practice, practice is the only answer, nobody was born with Clapton skills - he would practice till his fingers bled.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

its up to you how much you practice - I do half an hour a day and I do progress but slowly - when I have time on holidays etc I practice more

chord changes take time but if you practice with some slow tempo songs you should enjoy it - theres a thread here on easy acoustic numbers

The way I worked on it was found a few chords that were easier for me to finger cleanly. I picked D, A and G and found a song that fit. You can play Social Distortion's Ball and Chain with D, A, G and D again, then repeat, the whole song.

So, I'd just sit there and strum four beats in one chord, then switch to the next chord. The key is to not stop strumming. If you miss the chord, adjust your fingers while you're strumming and then move on. You can start by just going back and forth between D and A until you get comfortable with it. It's only a matter of time and effort. Stick with it! It's not as far away as it can seem sometimes!

topdown wrote:

Here's how I did it (or am doing it really). Use a metronome, here a link to a free one on-line

Just start with 2 chords, say C&G, or C&D. Start slow, say 50 or 60 BPM just changing back and forth between those 2 chords. As you get it, raise your speed. Once you get switching between those 2 at 100 BPM or better, add a chord and go back to 50 BPM. As you keep adding chords, repeat the process staring slow each time. I would do this for hours every night just watching TV, if you find a particular progression that you are struggling with, you might want to scale back to those 2 chords and concentrate there until you get it down.

The key for me was the metronome. Using that allows you to track your progress and see improvement each night. Is 1/2 an hour enough? That's up to you - practice is the only way to improve. I probably play 3 or more hours every day. Practice, practice, practice is the only answer, nobody was born with Clapton skills - he would practice till his fingers bled.

topdown,

Thanks for the post. I just bought a Korg MA-30 metronome. I have an online version but sometimes I practice sitting on the patio. I was about to post the question as to how many bpm's I should be trying to get to and be able to change chords smoothly.  100 bpm plus is what I was kinda wanting to get to. ( I have only been playing about 8 weeks) Anybody else use a metronome to practice chord transitions and if so how many bpm is your speed. big_smile

Learning to play the guitar is easy. Converting that knowlege to sound like music is hard!

I can't help but wonder if maybe you are trying too hard? If you practice slowly and work on doing the changes smoothly until you can get a consistant clean sound of all the strings...the speed will follow. Maybe start with some simple 3 chord progressions and just practice the changes...I bet it will all come togather soon! One of my bad habits (especially with the mandolin) is using way too much force and pressure! When I make myself relax thing really work much better...

Middleaged Redneck sorta guy who refuses to grow up...passion for music, especially Southern Rock but like bout everything cept Gangsta/Hip Hop. Collect guitars, mandolins, and love to ride Harleys.

Hey lads thanks my first time here and all very helpfull.........

Love nothing but that which comes to you woven in the pattern of your destiny..Marcsu Aurelius and the wild Elf....

Astro there are many chords that have common notes in the fingering that you can leave that finger where it is and just change the shape of your hand. That helped me on changing chords.

Ex. Going from D to G I leave my ring finger on the fretboard and just move the other ones to form the G.

Eddie

Same thing with the "C", "F" & "G" progression. Play an open "C", leave ring finger down and form a "E" shaped barre chord (1st fret) for a "F" chord, leave ALL fingers down, slide 2 frets down with index finger barring 3rd fret and you have a "G" chord. I know the barre chords are a lot harder to form but if you practice this progerssion slowly, over and over, it will not only help you in making chord changes but it will help strengthen you fingers for barre chords. Make up your own changes for practice. Open "C" chord- 4 down strums, barre "F" chord - 4 down strums, open "C" chord - 4 down strums - barre "G" chord - 4 down strums - open "C" - chord. Just keep repeating ( i know it will become boring but it will help in the long run) You can do the same with the progression "G", "C" and "D". Open "G" chord, "A" shaped barre 3rd fret ("C" chord) keep all fingers down, slide 2 frets barring 5th fret and you have a "D" chord. Again it is practice, practice, practice. Use any chord progression you want, keep in mind the common finger to be used as a pivot, mix in a few barre chords when you can and practice.

Nela

Interesting answers. Like ebigham, explaining how he starts with D, and change to G. I think I do this different, and if my very good friend comes, and we play, he is always giving critics that I have to use that finger in stead of another finger. It makes me nervous sometime. I am able to switch very fast, even knowing that I could make it easier by using a different finger. CAN YOU CHANGE SOMEONE WHO PLAYS SINCE YEARS THAT WAY?
Changing strings, it scares me sometimes, I had years ago an incident, the small E string snapped, and hit my face. When changing strings, I am still afraid. ABOUT CHANGING CHORDS, there are many ways, I am almost convinced that everyone who plays guitar, has for some chords a different approach. It's so long ago that I started playing guitar. I remember me my first chord, an E chord, followed by Am. Some days, now, I play 1-2 hours, but it's more like 5 times 10-15 minutes a day. I do know many chords, some of them are really difficult and patience is important.

[color=blue]- GITAARDOCPHIL SAIS: TO CONQUER DEAD, YOU HAVE TO DIE[/color]   AND [color=blue] we are born to die[/color]
- MY GUITAR PLAYS EVERY STYLE = BLUES, ROCK, METAL, so I NEED TO LEARN HOW TO PLAY IT.
[color=blue]Civilization began the first time an angry person cast a word instead of a rock.[/color]

If you're trying to learn a particular song, write out all the chord changes.  For instance, if you have a song that is G to C to G to D, repeat, then you'd write out:

G to C
C to G
G to D
D to G

Write the chord forms down right beside each change you've written out. 

Now take a look at it and think about how you're going to move your fingers.  If any of the finger positions don't move, then use that finger as an anchor.

Once you've thought about how you're going to move your fingers, then do it.  A lot.  Over and over and over and over again.  Just one at a time.  G to C.  Then stop and take your fingers off the fingerboard.  Get your fingers into G.  Then move G to C again.  Keep it up until you get reasonably smooth at it.  Not perfect.  Just reasonably smooth.  You decide for yourself what is reasonable.

Do that for each chord change. 

You'll be moving smoothly chord to chord quickly.  The important thing here is that once you learn a change, G to C for example, you'll be able to do it every time you see it again, so your time is spent not learning just one song but every song that has a G to C chord change. 

It worked well for me.  Your mileage may vary.  No guitar students were harmed in the writing of this message.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

topdown wrote:

Thankyou topdown this was really helpfull good idea.....

another approach is to anticipate the next chord change on the 4th beat of the measure since your fingers are allready on the chord you can visulize where there going for the next measure,an example would be a easy progression say d  g  a  1 4 5 in the key of d all of these chords are open 1st posistion chords so it might look like d//change g//change a//change d//// the word change is on the 4th beat of each measure you dont change the chord there only think ahead to where your fingers are going for the next chord or 123change 223change323change423change it could help you to change chords in tempo

"Growing old is not for sissies"

Gitaardoc,

I was not suggesting that he has to fret a chord a certain way. But I promise you that there are many chords that he plays that have common fingers that he can leave on the fret board to make it easier to change to the new chord. But there are correct ways to fret chords that make them easier to form. That is why you buy a book of chords that has a fingering diagram. Once you cement a bad habit it is hard to correct the problem. For years I would play power chords with my pinky underneath the fretboard. I still have trouble with this years later after correcting it.

Eddie

Hi, I will suggest you to play chord arrangement like C A- F G and G E- A- D- this will help you to progress I also had this sort o
f problem. I started by playing songs like  HOUSE OF THE RISING SUN. Keep on practicing.
Peace and love perx

18 (edited by Ranger1964 2008-01-19 17:14:34)

I'm new to this forum but posted this on a defferent one.  Hope it helps.

If you always arrived late for your destination, logic would say "leave earlier" right??!!  Well, like many newbies I've (mostly) mastered CAGED (Em, Am, E7 A7... the easy ones) but when I played songs I still would have those INFURIATING breaks in my strumming while trying to hit the chord change on the correct word (or even syllable).  I also noticed that when not playing a song, just strumming and switching chords, I could switch very quickly.  WELL, I don't know how or why it occurred to me, but I noticed that I was trying to make chord changes exactly on the word (or syllable).  Something made me realize that even the most accomplished player in the world (Esteban? hehehe j/k) would need SOME time to change chords, a half a second, a quarter of a second, whatever amount of time is required, chord changes are NOT instantaneous.  So, in an epiphany of sorts it occurred to me "if you are always arriving late, leave earlier dummy!".  So I did.  I left earlier.  Then, as often happens, an epiphany led to a eureka!  The chord changes don't happen instantaneously on a word or syllable, the END there.  Meaning, how ever much time you need, you start the chord change a few words before you need to “hit"  the new chord.  It is barely noticeable and improved my song playing maybe 142.93% instantly (and my enjoyment 10 times as much).

There are some caveats.  You need to know the chords, you need to have developed some fairly good chord transition speed, and you need to be able to play most of the chords without looking at the neck (BTW-as a newbie, don’t be afraid to try this.  You will be very surprised how adept you are at it when you just don’t allow yourself to look at the neck).  But, if you can do all that and are still driving yourself insane trying to put it all together playing those songs, always hitting the chord late or after an infuriating delay…..leave earlier!!!!

Yee Haw

I have been at it for about 3 months and am feeling your pain.  I have used some of the tips mentioned above.  The suggestion from Zurf has started to pay dividends as now I am starting to move smoother between G > C and D > C.  I too thought it would never happen, but then it did so hang in there.
There is also a suggestion on justinguitar.com.  He suggests taking a chord change and then seeing how many chnages you can do in a minute and track your progress.  I found doing this while watching TV works well.  Now I can't wait to actually start piecing these together into some tunes.  Stay with it.....

Acoustic: Yamaha F-310, Washburn WD-32SW

pjl364,

Funny you posted this and I did not read it before I went to my guitar lesson yesterday. The same thoughe hit me during the lesson. I was always behind on the chord changes even though the instructor is playing the song slowly, I still could not keep up and it was fustrating. Then a light went on and I started the change right before it was neccessary and bam I was keeping up. I have now marked some of my song tabs with a red chord one syllable/word before the change and I start the change when I get to the red chord so I am ready when I need to actually change. Great tip, wish I had read it sooner. smile

Learning to play the guitar is easy. Converting that knowlege to sound like music is hard!

texan4ut wrote:

pjl364,

Funny you posted this and I did not read it before I went to my guitar lesson yesterday. The same thoughe hit me during the lesson. I was always behind on the chord changes even though the instructor is playing the song slowly, I still could not keep up and it was fustrating. Then a light went on and I started the change right before it was neccessary and bam I was keeping up. I have now marked some of my song tabs with a red chord one syllable/word before the change and I start the change when I get to the red chord so I am ready when I need to actually change. Great tip, wish I had read it sooner. smile

After a while it will become second nature.  You'll know intuitively in a song when you should change the chord.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]