1 (edited by bonedaddy 2008-01-16 16:17:15)

Topic: Shut Up & Sing

Hi All

Saw the Dixie Chicks documentary last night about how the lead singer said that they were against the war and violence and that they were ashamed that the president was from Texas and how the American press got hold of it and then the public went off on one and started with threats and boycotts and the radio stations banned the Dixie Chicks from their playlists and ... Oh dear I went off on one again!

The comment was made in 2003, ten days before the invasion of Iraq and the Dixie Chicks are still banned on the majority of stations.

Enjoy

cool

Shut Up & Singwords/chords bonedaddy 16 Jan 2008

[Bm]Shut up & sing, shut up & sing

[G] Freedom of speech don’t mean a g[F#]oddamned thing

You’re only [Bm]allowed MY point of view

When I want your o[G]pinion I’ll give it to [F#]you

It [G]ain’t about the b[D]oys out there, It’s a[G]ll about the [D]Man

[C]He’s supposed to be a thinker but [A]I don’t think he can

[G]Holiday [D]time, well [G]on a foreign [D]shore

When [C]shots are fired and the fighting starts, [A]you know you’ve already lost the war

[G] Freedom of speech don’t mean a goddamned [F#]thing

I [G]could be bigger than J[D]esus, I could [G]be a Dixie [D]Chick

Knee [C]jerk burn books ban records, stop airplay, it [A]really makes me sick

[G]Middle America, con[D]servative suits, pro[G]testing the only ways you [D]know

[C]Death threats, boycotts, hanging parties, you [A]got no self control

[G] Freedom of speech don’t mean a goddamned [F#]thing

I'm the son of rage and love

Re: Shut Up & Sing

Bonedaddy!,

This is really very good. I cannot believe those girls are still being banned. I love them as a group.

Its the opposite on the Emerald, we here revere our Artist and Poets or anyone  who have the Sliótars { Leather  Balls} to have a go at our Goverment. "More Power to Ya" is usually the cry here.

Well isnt this what "Freedom Of Speech Is All About"?. Some one needs to grow a pair of Sliótars Stateside and give the Dixie Chicks there own freedom of speech on the airways.

Hypocrisy how are ya!

Ps . you should have more ops it brings out the best in you lol

Old Doll.

Why Blend in with the Crowd ? When you were made to stand out !

Thanks Doll, I think I'll pass on the whole 'being stabbed in the stomach and simultaneously kicked in the fork' thing for a while though!

I think what happened with the Dixie Chicks was that the remark was portrayed as being anti american troops rather than just anti American Idiot (Bush Jr).  This was what got the public upset enough to trigger the reaction of corporate america.

Just a snowball in hell!

smile

Nice song Bonedaddy. Actually the Dixie Chicks aren't enduring the boycotts and bans they originally did at the time of their statements. Many, the majority of the American public now see and understand what they meant in 2003 and most Americans, with the exception of a small portion of right winged pea brainers, concur with the Dixie Chicks in their vocal protest of invading Iraq.

Give everything but up.

They are not "banned" by any government entity. Many stations have chosen not to play their music because the majority of their listeners patriotic, pro-military, whatever you want to call 'em were and possibly still are upset with the chicks' statements. I agree - I like their music, but they should have been smarter in knowing their audience before spouting out at the mouth. I read a quote from Michael Jordan once regarding politics - his response was something like he doesn't get involved because Republicans buy shoes too. Smart statement.

I do like the song Bonedaddy. The chicks would have been better served if they did "Shut up & sing, shut up & sing". smile

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Thanks for your kind comments, they are always welcome!

Nowhere, though did I say the American government had banned them.  I do apologise if the majority of stations have reinstated their music, I know they've been nominated for grammy awards since then as well. 

The audience they made the comment to were... English at the Shepherds Bush Empire, London!  Opinion here was and still is divided as to wether we should have gone to war and like the chicks, I would see any alternative exhausted before sending in the troops.  I don't think there were any death threats from this side of the atlantic though.

Which was my point.

cool

Topdown!

Am i not understanding your post?  Are you saying no matter what Career you hold in

life "Keep Your Mouth Shut? So as not to upset the apple cart?.

Enlighten me please.

Old Doll.

No Old Doll, I am not saying that at all. It's purely Marketing. That comment hurt their careers immensely - they should have known better. Then they expounded on the problem by publicaly battling with Toby Keith - a very popular country singer.

Again, I really like their music. My wife owns every one of their CD's both pre and post controversy.

You don't think Toby Keith jumped on a bandwagon when he boosted his career by slating the Dixie Chicks and doctoring the Saddam/Natalie photo?

Shame on him.

Thanks for the reply Topdown!

Never did hear of Toby Keith, i will look him up!

Old Doll.

Here’s what wiki has to say about the “feud" . It seems like the Dixie Chicks drew first blood with their “ignorant"  comment. By the way, Toby has also stated he was against the war.

On March 24, 2001, Keith’s father, H.K. Covel, was killed in a car accident. That event and the September 11, 2001 attacks prompted Keith to write the song "Courtesy of the Red, White, & Blue (The Angry American)", a song about his father’s patriotism and faith in the USA. At first, Keith refused to record the song and sang it only live at his concerts for military personnel. The reaction was so strong that the Commandant of the Marine Corps James L. Jones told Keith it was his duty as an American citizen to record the song.[2] As the lead single from the album Unleashed (2002), "Courtesy of the Red, White, & Blue" peaked at number 1 over the weekend of July 4.

ABC invited Keith to sing "Courtesy of the Red, White, & Blue" on a patriotic special it was producing. However, the host of the show, newsman Peter Jennings, requested that Keith soften the lyrics of the song or choose another song to sing.[citation needed] Keith refused both of the requests and did not appear on the special. The rift gave the song a considerable amount of publicity, which led to many national interviews and public performances of the song.

Feud with the Dixie Chicks

Keith had a public feud with the Dixie Chicks over the song "Courtesy of the Red, White, & Blue", as well as over comments they made about President George W. Bush on stage during a concert in London. The lead singer of the Dixie Chicks, Natalie Maines, publicly stated that Keith's song was "ignorant, and it makes country music sound ignorant."[3] Keith responded by belittling Maines' songwriting skills, and by displaying a backdrop at his concerts showing a doctored photo of Maines with Iraqi dictator Saddam Hussein. On May 21, 2003, Maines wore a T-shirt with the letters FUTK on the front at the Academy of Country Music Awards. [4] While a spokesperson for the Dixie Chicks said that the acronym stood for "Friends United in Truth and Kindness," many including host Vince Gill took it to be a shot at Keith ("Fu** You Toby Keith"). In August 2003, Keith publicly declared he was done feuding with Maines 'because he's realized there are far more important things to concentrate on'.[5] However, he continues to refuse to say Maines' name, and claims that the doctored photo was intended to express his feeling that Maines' criticism was tyrannical and a dictator-like attempt to squelch Keith's free speech.[6]

I’m not taking sides either way – I enjoy both the patriotic songs as well as the protest songs.

12 (edited by bonedaddy 2008-01-16 18:09:53)

To be honest, I've not heard the Courtesy of the Red White and Blue, nor was I aware that Natalie had made those comments about it/him.  All I saw was the inflammatory photo which was portrayed as merely an answer to the Bush comment.

His reaction, like that of the american people does seem a little... over the top, comparing a comment or criticism to dictatorship and tyranny.  Maybe he's just insecure lol

I stand by what I said in the song, though!

Great song, bonedaddy.

"You have to get over the love of power, and enjoy the power of love, in order to know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix.

Any song that brings up this amount of debate / discussion has to be great. That's what music is all about. Good job Bonedaddy!

topdown wrote:

Any song that brings up this amount of debate / discussion has to be great. That's what music is all about. Good job Bonedaddy!

Thanks, my wife's away at the moment so nobody to argue with at home!  One day I'll write something nice lol

Have a nice day cool

Hey Bone Daddy great song and great topic. Great use of F# by the way. Artists who are dependent on the public for making a living should carefully review public statements prior to making them. I don't think a lot of review went into those statements. When they were made the US was still a little sensitive and easily spun out of control and the media in America and the world for that matter was and still is way out of control trying to publicize anything they consider newsworthy and turning it into something that gets channels changed and newspapers sold.

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

I think the newsworthy is optional, it's the selling copy that is most important!  That's the truth all over the world wink

Excellent song, bonedaddy - would love to hear you stomp & howl this one out!

The Dixie Chicks are simply suffering the consequences of allowing themselves to originally be packaged as 'mainstream' country and then marketed as 'cutesy little ladies'.  They were always round pegs in that square hole.

Regarding the fact that they are still 'off the play list' for many radio stations:
Unfortunately, it is rare for radio stations to do their own programming anymore.  Most commercial station's play lists come down the food chain from corporate entities that own many stations in different markets.

The days of 'local' radio are long gone.  The very few surviving independent commercial stations are probably doomed to wither away as local revenue sources (ad $) evaporate.

"That darn Pythagorean Comma thing keeps messing me up!"
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pythagorean_comma[/url]

hi bonedaddy great song and a good response all round,have you heard about EMI they are chopping jobs dropping bands and artists are withholding their new albums in protest,...stay cool

love is life ,life is for love,keep a true heart and live life to the full....stay cool

daddycool wrote:

hi bonedaddy great song and a good response all round,have you heard about EMI they are chopping jobs dropping bands and artists are withholding their new albums in protest,...stay cool

Daddycool - I saw that about EMI. It was especially interesting to me because I just finished reading Clapton's autobiography. This is from the very last chapter in his book (emphasis mine):

The music scene as I look at it today is little different from when I was growing up. The percentages are roughly the same - 95% rubbish, 5% pure. However, the systems of marketing and distribution are in the middle of a huge shift, and by the end of this decade I think it's unlikely that any of the existing record companies will still be in business. With the greatest respect to all involved, that would be no great loss. Music will always find its way to us, with or without business, politics, religion, or any of the other bull**** attached. Music survives everything......

Good song.

As far as Toby Keith, he's a guitar player, songwriter, and country singer. 

As far as the Dixie Chicks, they are a group that harmonizes vocals well, and does a good job of interweaving fiddle, banjo, and guitar into alt country tunes.  As well as songwriters. 

Nowhere in either of those descriptions is "political pundit."  Each are entitled to their opinions.  I am not obligated to listen to them, nor am I obligated to care if they express their opinions for some reason. 

If I want to know how to sing or pick a guitar or write a song, I think any of them would be good sources of information.  When I want to know about politics, a country music star is not likely to be my first choice for gaining meaningful information.

Play the music.  Screw the politics. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Daddy,
dont liste nto all these people saying this song is good or great, I think it is amazing!!!
This choris you have done is maybe the best lyrics I have read in ages.
This is a very very wel lwritten song and like James said, I also want to hear this song getting thrashed out on myspace or youtube.
Sorry mate but I might even steal this whole song or at least the chorus.
I love it.

I do not know much about the dixie chicks, ,,,, ok ,I know nothing of them apart from a documentry I saw on TV last year sometime. Dont like them much from what I heard but I like thier attitude. or is it someone elses attitude coming through them?

Anyway.
Get recording daddy. I have to hear this

Ken

ye get some that are cut out for the job and others just get by from pretending

Thanks for your enthusiasm Ken it means a lot to me!  I am having problems with my camera at the moment but I do intend to start posting vids on the Chordians Youtube site.

In the meantime, knock yourself out, I'd love to hear/see your interpretation cool

Cheers for now